Notices

Question about heatlh anxiety/depression/body pains, etc.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about heatlh anxiety/depression/body pains, etc.

So I've recently quit booze (not sober that long) and am having some residual issues that some of you may be able to help clarify or shed some light on with your own experiences.

I didnt got through the typical withdraw (seizures, etc.) just felt pretty lousy for a few days. I do suffer from health anxiety when I'm not drinking which wasn't that often. In fact when I drank, I never had any anxiety about health as I was too buzzed to worry about. Now that I'm "sober" it's something that I really focus on and it's starting to effect work, home, etc.

I was working a few weeks ago and had this ongoing tightness in my chest whenever I would breath in deep. It went on for about a week so I finally just stopped at a walk in clinic and said, "what the hell is going on"? The doctor took my BP which was high (she knew if would be because I was nervous) and then they did chest x rays which showed nothing "mechanically wrong" with my chest/heart. She could tell I was tense and closed the door and told me that this is a sign of anxiety and maybe you should take a daily pill to help as she does (I was surprised she said that). To date, I'm still having these chest pains when I breath in and have googled it and find that it's a key sign of depression, etc. but I'm not sure. I've also had pains in my side which I havent even had checked out.

I have a physical in 2 weeks which I'll bring up to him but wanted feedback from the group out here first in case there are questions I should ask, etc.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All I can say is that in my experience I had a variety of aches and pains after quitting that went away of their own accord. Since you were worried, it's good that you have seen somebody and also scheduled a physical. It is not a bad thing to have yourself checked out when quitting drinking to see how you are doing physically, and I and others around here have done that. I cannot say what you should be asking about but would rather recommend that you are forthright about explaining that you have quit drinking and are interested in knowing about your well-being now that you are going clean. Try not to worry about things too much, it's stressful on the mind and on the body to do so. You'll have more piece of mind soon.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think what you're experiencing is very normal when quitting drnking. I don't think seizures are typical.

In my experience I'd say don't google It's great you've been to see a doctor and I would follow their advice. I take an anti anxiety drug daily and it works very well for me.

If you think we've abused alcohol for years, our bodies are physically and mentally addicted to it. Our brains have recalibrated to be used to alcohol and need many months to adjust to sobriety.

Congrats on your sober time
Old 03-06-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had all sorts of breathing problems before and in early recovery. I was constantly over breathing which in turn would cause all sorts of other symptoms the medical name was hyper ventilation syndrome. But after some time it all went away and Iam feeling better then ever. Amazing how the Humsn body and mind can heal given the right environment.
Stay sober & things will get better in ever way.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They gave me propranolol for chest pains and for my restless leg syndrome. It lowered my blood pressure as well. It also lowered my heart rate if that is something that is bad for you as well. The doctor gave me gabapentin for my anxiety but I do not recommend that. I started abousing it. Tell them not to give you anything that could become addicting.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still have anxiety, especially health related, and also depression. Not sure how common that is at this point, 65 days for me now, but I'm sure anxiety is very common early on.

Good for you for having your chest tightness thing checked out. Just be careful, keep an eye on your health, and don't stress. Your health will improve with not drinking. Mine has and I was hospitalized for high blood pressure because of drinking and was in pretty bad shape at the time.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think stress can cause all kinds of aches and pains in our bodies. But, this sounds like something you really need to talk to your dr about. If it is something physical, then you will be aware and will be treated. If it's stress related, then you can work on that. There are lots of healthy ways to deal with anxiety and stress. Simple breathing techniques can really help.