Notices

For the lookers-on and lurkers out there.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the lookers-on and lurkers out there.

I used to be a lurker on this site for a long, long time. The day I signed up and made my first post, my heart was beating so, so fast .

But here’s an anology for you :

Think of sobriety as a crystal clear, aquamarine pool, with the bottom totally visible. Inviting, exquisite, beautiful. You are standing at the edge of the cliff/diving board, the sun beating down on you, and all you have to do , to escape the searing heat, is to jump in.

Your friends and family know this pool well. They spend most of their time in here. They are standing behind you, begging you to go for it – they want you to feel the joy of being in there – and they want to be in there with you - enjoying it together.

Your heart is in your throat. It’s beating so loudly it feels like it is in your head. You know you want this, but you are so scared.

Finally , maybe because of a nudge from the one standing behind you, you go for it! Free falling ! And then you land in the water – immediately laughing and yelling and loving it. Your friends and family are in there with you now, high fiving you – having a ball.

And there you are, wondering why it took you so long to grab this with both hands and enjoy it. You don’t ever want to get out – that’s how much you love being in there.

That’s where I am now. I love wading in this crystal clear water , surrounded by my loved ones, my class mates and all here on SR. Wondering why, oh why, it took me so long to take the plunge.

So , I am looking up, from out of this pool – seeing you standing there and contemplating the jump . I am waving at you, and egging you on – come on in, the water is wonderful !!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post 🙏
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

heck yeah. jump in
Old 03-06-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post
Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful! Shedding some tears. Thank you for this.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But why do I keep getting out of the pool to stand on the cliff/board yet again if the pool is so joyful?
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Perfect post Ayers. I read it right AFTER I jumped into the pool and joined the March class! My heart was nervously racing as I hit "Post Reply".

Otter, we are both in the March class now. I'm on my fifth day. We can paddle around together.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really Love This
Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't mean for my question to sound so snarky.....sorry! I was really asking from a true devil's advocate perspective.....and I'd love any feedback anyone is willing to give.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Zevin - thanks! Yes, and I really like to paddle....as an Otter or in my kayak.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by OtterIsland View Post
But why do I keep getting out of the pool to stand on the cliff/board yet again if the pool is so joyful?
I can only answer this from my experience

Sometimes I didn't stay long enough in the pool to get the full benefit...

and sometimes I wanted the joy of the pool, *and* the rush of standing on the diving board.

completely diametrical experiences but gee if anyone could have both and hit that sweet spot in the middle I could!

Nope.

Eventually I got less and less capable and I kept landing on the concrete not the pool.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-06-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread, guys! I'm crying and smiling.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I couldn't have answered that more perfectly, Dee.

Also, not staying in the pool .... maybe you just aren't hot enough?

Haha, and this could be interpreted in differrent ways . Otter, by this I am by no means saying you might not be a "hottie" , okay ?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
I couldn't have answered that more perfectly, Dee.

Also, not staying in the pool .... maybe you just aren't hot enough?

Haha, and this could be interpreted in differrent ways . Otter, by this I am by no means saying you might not be a "hottie" , okay ?
Ha! Love it, Ayers! Not taken the wrong way - I get what you mean. I guess maybe it's who's in the pool and whether it's enough to want to stay, perhaps?

Actually, my pool is semi empty. I have family and friends, but not a lot of support for my struggle as an alcoholic. Too many people around me think it's a choice and don't really feel it's a disease. And that just plain hurts. And I am often alone and isolated and left with my own feelings. Not a great place to be, especially at night.

So I'm floating in the pool now, as I often have for short periods of time, but with a good outlook on One Day at A Time, a new addiction counselor and a recovery coach things are looking much brighter for me.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nah the pool is recovery - it always replenishes itself - you may think, or feel, it's half empty but it's really not, OtterIsland.

That applies whether you go ODAAT or forever

D
Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Otter, you have us with you in the pool. People who get it. You are not floating alone.

I am happy that you have tools to use , a lilo and that half costume with a ring tube attached … wait for it … in SA it’s called a … (drumroll ) Poly-otter !!!

I enjoy having you in the pool with me . Stay, and do what otters do best.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
I used to be a lurker on this site for a long, long time. The day I signed up and made my first post, my heart was beating so, so fast .

But here’s an anology for you :

Think of sobriety as a crystal clear, aquamarine pool, with the bottom totally visible. Inviting, exquisite, beautiful. You are standing at the edge of the cliff/diving board, the sun beating down on you, and all you have to do , to escape the searing heat, is to jump in.

Your friends and family know this pool well. They spend most of their time in here. They are standing behind you, begging you to go for it – they want you to feel the joy of being in there – and they want to be in there with you - enjoying it together.

Your heart is in your throat. It’s beating so loudly it feels like it is in your head. You know you want this, but you are so scared.

Finally , maybe because of a nudge from the one standing behind you, you go for it! Free falling ! And then you land in the water – immediately laughing and yelling and loving it. Your friends and family are in there with you now, high fiving you – having a ball.

And there you are, wondering why it took you so long to grab this with both hands and enjoy it. You don’t ever want to get out – that’s how much you love being in there.

That’s where I am now. I love wading in this crystal clear water , surrounded by my loved ones, my class mates and all here on SR. Wondering why, oh why, it took me so long to take the plunge.

So , I am looking up, from out of this pool – seeing you standing there and contemplating the jump . I am waving at you, and egging you on – come on in, the water is wonderful !!!!
Cheers! Just created an account and posted a thread after been a 'lurker'.

Appreciate the encouraging nudge.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great stuff, Epictetus. I am so glad you took the plunge !!!

You will thank yourself for this . In the meantime , pat yourself on the back, you took the first step of many.

You have a very interesting name - would love to know what it means.

Welcome, and looking forward to hear much more from you .