Notices

Hard to Believe

Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard to Believe

Hi all

It's hard to believe that I created this account 12 years ago and continued on with my addiction. To be 100% honest I created a new account last week under Wobert because this email address was in use. I didn't think much of it when I created the new account. But I couldn't help but dig back into time and trace back this account.

I've decided to make this my account here for one main reason. To remember that my decisions going forward could lead to a week, a month, or another decade of drinking.

I also need to remember that there were some good things and some good decisions made from the time I first landed here until today.

It's profound remembering back to the few times SR has orbited in and out of my consciousness while on my journey. Words can't describe it. All I know is that last week when I felt the need to stop drinking so urgently this is the place I came immediately.

It's been 7 days and I feel good about being sober. Everyone here has been an amazing influence from the new people that come with a heavy heart on Day 1 to the veterans that have thousands of days sober.

I'm not ashamed having signed up here 12 years ago and just now I am seriously taking sobriety seriously. It was the journey I needed to take to get here. The only question now, is what am I going to do now that I am here.

I'll join the March class with the goal of March being the first full month sober that I can put on record.

Thanks for reading

Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back and good for you, as I'm sure you know honesty, especially with the self, is so crucial to finally getting sober. It took me longer than I I would have liked, and of course that's a common refrain around these parts. But congrats on getting back here. What's the plan?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did a similar thing, just not on this site. I signed up to a similar one years ago called WQD. I kept lapsing and apologising then eventually stopped posting. That was back when I thought I could still moderate though.

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for WQD (which I didn't find), and am glad it worked out like this. I love this site and it has really helped me.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Welcome back and good for you, as I'm sure you know honesty, especially with the self, is so crucial to finally getting sober. It took me longer than I I would have liked, and of course that's a common refrain around these parts. But congrats on getting back here. What's the plan?
Hello again

My plan is as follows

1. Grow roots here so deep that I don't fall over.

2. Continue changing my previous routines with new ones. IE Food before drink vs. drink before food. etc.

3. Continue to replace my pleasure for alcohol with more healthy pleasure fulfillment. IE Exercise, watching a movie, reading a book, reading the forum, fishing, playing a video game with my daughter, or anything that is not a harm to myself or others.

I realize that some people need a physical group like AA to advance. Personally, I have been to a few AA meetings in my younger years and I don't feel it is a fit for me right now. I have spent much time over the years studying with virtual groups and I find it just as powerful as a group in person. I've met people from all over the world in person through virtual group works over the internet and I recognize the true potential of surrounding one's self with like minded individuals with the same goal.

Hence, my first post on this account after 12 years of signing up.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done, I'm sober without AA, plenty of success by many different means on this site. Have you looked into AVRT or Rational Recovery? Just additional tools Good stuff, stay signed in and keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Well done, I'm sober without AA, plenty of success by many different means on this site. Have you looked into AVRT or Rational Recovery? Just additional tools Good stuff, stay signed in and keep us updated.
I believe I did come across them in some searches. I will keep that in mind and I will also keep logged in. SR is kind of a new addiction
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 7 days, enginear. I'm so glad you decided to come back. We have to be ready - and you finally are. It took me a while too - but once I became determined to get free, there was nothing to stop me.

Happy to have you here! Welcome to your brand new life.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!

When I first became conscious that I had a drinking problem, I didn't put a lot of effort into getting sober.

I too, tried to get sober in 2007. And in 2006, and in 2005 and in every other year going back to about 1982.

I'm coming up on 9 years of sobriety next month, so it can be done. Joining the March 2019 sobriety class is a great idea.

I'm an alumni of the August 2009 sobriety group and I'm very thankful I joined that group.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!