Notices

Getting together with new friends ...

Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting together with new friends ...

Hi SR Peeps,
I’ve been invited over to a new friend’s house tonight with some other folks for a get together. These are people I’ve actually known for a while through my parent support group, though this is the first time socializing with them outside a meeting. My son will be coming along as well to play with the other kids. My husband’s coming too.

There’s going to be wine and cocktails, for sure. It’s been a little over two years that I’ve been sober. It sounds strange with so much time gone by. But this is the first time getting together with new friends who don’t know my drinking past, or much about me at all. I’ve lost touch with some of my heavy drinking buddies. The ones I still have don’t invite me out because they assume, I guess, that I am either uncomfortable around others drinking, can’t handle it or I’m no fun anymore .

I am l looking forward to getting to know these new friends better without the need or desire to drink to fit in, and for them to know me as a non-drinker. I don’t believe anyone in this group is a heavy drinker. But you never know. Either way, I’m feeling very strong in my sobriety lately and feel that nothing can shake me. I have my moments with my son, who is my biggest trigger. But I am learning to go with the flow of life, and despite the challenges, my relationship with my son and ability to problem solve and get through tough parenting times is so much better without the booze.

I see this as another milestone in my sobriety.

Just thought I would post for accountability. Thanks for listening . Grateful for all of you!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This sounds like a good opportunity to get to know some new people who don't know you as a drinker. In a similar situation, it helps me to remember that most, if not all, people don't notice what I'm drinking. And, if by chance, someone comments on you not drinking alcohol, remember that is on them, not you.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll be fine. Have fun!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sure you will have a good night. This happened to me when I moved to a new area and met new people at 6 months sober. I just said I don't drink. End of. people just accept it at face value. No one questioned it or asked further. No big deal. it's great you are out meeting new people
Old 03-01-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post thank you.

I just wanted to mention that I also am enjoying and look forward to making new friends/meeting new people as the sober guy. It's a new way to be, you are in control rather than about to forget most of a night etc etc.

Have fun and congrats.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds like a positive step forward. I have met new acquaintances through some new committees that I have joined and it’s refreshing to not be known as the drunk lady on the committee. I hope you have a great night with new friends.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, that was fun. Like every party, there was a mix of different types of drinkers, from the normies to a few who were drunk. Had a really nice chat with a woman about my age who, like me, is a total nondrinker. I didn’t get her back story, nor did she get mine. But it was refreshing. As far as my choice of a nonalcoholic beverage, no one really cares. I’m finding that more and more at these gatherings. The people who seem the most interested in others drinking or not tend to be questioning their own drinking.

Night all!
Old 03-02-2019, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great to read how well your evening went
Old 03-02-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Terrific, thanks for the update, simple inspiring Saturday morning read.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you had a fun time Fearless

D