Notices

Bill W. Emotional sobriety

Old 03-01-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bill W. Emotional sobriety

In some of Bill's later writings, he expresses his belief that true emotional sobriety depends upon removing his dependence upon any outside personal circumstance, situation or person for happiness and security. That true security utterly has to come from within and upon one's faith that our higher power is in control and that despite whatever else happens to us or around us, that things will be as they should. I'm finding four years into recovery that for me, he is dead on. It's a tall order. Much more so than putting the plug in the jug or shifting the focus from ourselves to being of service to those around us. But then again, I suppose without any real challenge to the way we've been living our whole lives, there isn't any growth possible. To me this is the very crux of life on life's terms.
Peace everyone.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The story "Acceptance is the answer" (page 417) must resonate blown.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

^^I read 417-418 every day (and 84-88). The concept of emotional sobriety as described above and in those pages too is the mature recovery I seek. To me, that's what matters, because then physical sobriety is wayyy down the list of something I would ever violate.

Good post.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
But then again, I suppose without any real challenge to the way we've been living our whole lives, there isn't any growth possible. To me this is the very crux of life on life's terms.
Peace everyone.
I like this comment. And the growth is brought about by the challenge and walking through the challenge. I know something about challenges that I did not know prior to sobriety.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am currently on holidays in Bali and attending the local meetings everyday which I thoroughly enjoy. Yesterday readings from ,"How Bill's Sees It", standing room only albeit it is a small venue.
The shares really resonated with me , how we use the program in our lives to achieve emotional sobriety.
This last year living and working at a residential rehab has really brought to the fore my lack of emotional sobriety and I am working on ways to deal with it. Since I am no longer a ,"people pleaser, my filters seem to have disappeared.
I am at a bit of a crossroad in my life as to whether or not continue working at the rehab as I'm not sure if I can work in harmony with the rest of the "team".
I think I have let go of righteous anger and am working on acceptance but am worried if acceptance translates to compliance. But in the end I believe that Gods will will direct me to the proper path but in the interim I need to stay true to my perceived path.
Some days I perceive my boss as a true Zen master, teaching me non attachment in things and ideas.

go to feed chickens in the morning ....gone
mulberry tree growing nicely ........ stump
"the problem with the 12 steps is that there are too may steps 8 would be sufficient" ................ what?
I can laugh at these things now but at the time it really triggers me and why I really do believe that he is my greatest teacher.

work situations can be very challenging indeed.

I would invite people to share how they have dealt successful with them.

CaiHong
Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me I find it best to face life's challenges direct. Soberity has given me a reservoir of difficult situations in which I didn't pick up a drink and learned from the experience.

This is only way I grow.

I realize this is not what Bill Wilson refers to but after reading about how the man lived his own life I take some of what he wrote with a grain of salt.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Removing dependencies, even on AA, was another thing Bill said. I do get his conclusion though. "Stability comes through giving, not receiving"