Notices

What happens to your body at 6 months sober?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happens to your body at 6 months sober?

Hi all,
I want to share something that has been bothering me.

Okay, so it’s been 6 months , early days in the bigger picture. I have made peace with the fact that it is going to take time before I feel 100% or maybe 80% better . So, I know, with time, many things will start to fade/get less intense/ etc …

I want to know if it is possible that I have had all these aches and pains and funny symptoms all along, and never realised it, because of being numbed by alcohol. Or if I should look into it and investigate further. Of course I will, anyway, but just wondered if any of you have had any of these symptoms

Things that never bothered me up till about a month ago :

*Most of the time I feel very lucid and my memory is much better , but, sometimes I get a moment where I cannot think of a word . Not the normal “cannot remember someone’s name” but a simple word – like cappuccino the other day – I ended up saying “I’d like that nice coffee, please” and my family burst out laughing and said “I think she means a cappuccino” Funny, yes, but scary . It was not the first time.

*Putting out my hand to grab my car keys/a teaspoon/a pen and then freezing , wondering what it is I have to get/do…for just a fraction of a second I have no idea what I am doing.

*My joints in my hips and hands. Trigger finger in left hand and since yesterday it’s starting in right hand.

*After sitting with my legs raised ( on couch ) and I get up, I cannot walk – my feet ache so badly , the whole sole and very bad in the heels, it looks as if I’m walking on hot coals. Only for the first few steps and then it get’s better. And only if my legs have been raised.

*Some mornings I really, really don’t know what day of the week it is. I have to backtrack and think of meals we had/things that happened to know if it’s Wednesday or Friday or whatever day

Do you think our bodies cope in miraculous ways while we are drinking – which makes us appear fine , and then it just flops/gives up/relaxes/fails once we are rid of the toxins and poisons?

I am going to see the doctor – I know that is the only advice any of you will/should give – but I don’t want advice , I want to know if any of you have become aware of strange, little niggly things that you weren’t aware of pre-recovery .

Or is it just that I am suddenly feeling my age maybe? Can it just be coincidence and have nothing to do with quitting?

Will appreciate your sharing.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ayers

the memory thing bothered me for a long time, but it's back to normal now.
It took years rather than months for me - but I did have some mini strokes.

The important thing is it came back. I believe you'll get there too

I find tho that as I get older I lose my memory for things like names - it will eventually come to me, but it might take a while.

I also have the coming into a room thing and not knowing what I m doing there. Since I stopped working 9-5 I often find it hard to remember instantly what day it is.

I think all that is completely normal aging stuff for most of us. Its annoying but not upsetting.

the pins and needles numb legs etc is something I've had most for my life so I can't really offer experience there.

I don't think you'll be Robinson Crusoe there either though.

Do see a Dr by all means but I'll be surprised if you don't get a good bill of health

D
Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had loads of strange aches and pains, I was never off the internet! convinced I had everything going. Funny that you mention the foot thing, I had a similar problem but it eventually sorted itself out. Don't do what I did and not go to the doctors though, I spent a few months worrying needlessly when I didn't have to, if only for the reassurance factor.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I've been off the booze for nearly 7 years and I have similar times where I can't remember a word. There's a word for it, but I can't remember it!

I suggest you see your doc for a couple of tests, if only to put your mind at rest.

One thing is certain, abuse of alcohol is detrimental to the brain, so well done on giving up. Keep going...want to see your 12 months post.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ayers,

Dr. is the company answer.

The continued healing has been a motivating part of me not relapsing. I had aches and pains all over too. It was like I was always sore. Especially if I sat for a while, it was like my body would seize up.

My diet may have helped. I have been taking moringa. It is a green super food. It is supposed to help with inflammation, depression etc. Seems to work. I got it at Costco for 8$. Then my wife found it 2 for1 and bought 4 more bags. Hehe.

The problem is that it doesn't mix well with anything. I don't care what the package suggests. It pretty much ruins whatever it is mixed with.

So, since I am a billy goat, take a teaspoon of the powder like medicine and wash it down with water. It sort of sucks, but I get a great energy boost.

I used to do straight shots of 100 proof whiskey, a teaspoon of moringa is easy peasy.

Anyway...

I think when I was heavily addicted I would rationalize that I was falling apart anyway so why not enjoy myself.

I now believe that being in a drunken fantasy world is not as good as really living. I am looking forward to increases in strength and stamina for the next several years.

There are 70 year old men that can run marathons.

I am not going down in a pathetic drunken heap. It took a long while to feel this good.

I don't have the desire to make that journey ever again.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a moment yesterday. I was talking to a client on my cell phone and at the same time looking for my phone all over the place. Then it hit me that it was up to my ear.

I think things like that just happen but we notice it and examine it more when we are sober vs. when we are drinking.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

After sitting with my legs raised ( on couch ) and I get up, I cannot walk – my feet ache so badly , the whole sole and very bad in the heels, it looks as if I’m walking on hot coals. Only for the first few steps and then it get’s better. And only if my legs have been raised.
That may be aging as I have had the same since before I quit drinking. I'm at six months, too.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Or is it just that I am suddenly feeling my age maybe? Can it just be coincidence and have nothing to do with quitting?

It's quite possible. After numbing myself for many years I gradually became aware of many little things.

I've gotten 9 years older since I quit drinking so in my case I think that everything I feel physically is pretty much age related.

There is one exception however. Since I quit drinking I'm much more emotional. I'm a guy and for many years I never cried. Now I find myself getting teary eyed during emotional parts of movies. Maybe I'm just not so selfish and self centered anymore and now I care more about others?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh definitely possible -- I was covering up symptoms of chrohn's disease and ulcerative colitis for so long I ended up in the hospital.

I gave up alcohol for seven months last year -- this is something I didn't cope well with then.

Sometimes even sober me is going to feel like garbage. And it has nothing to do with alcohol... it's just life

I was shocked one day when I woke up with a bad sinus headache and some anxiety and gastrointestinal symptoms. These were all things I associated with a drinking binge -- it made me angry.

But I was getting sick or had eaten something that didn't agree with me. It just happens! And feeling crappy and getting brain fog or aches for me is just part of being sober sometimes.

I hope this.. sort of helps?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your replies, they definitely helped. Just knowing someone else has experienced the same.

I had a laugh in between reading, too.
Fintime:
I had a moment yesterday. I was talking to a client on my cell phone and at the same time looking for my phone all over the place. Then it hit me that it was up to my ear.
Anyway, thanks you all for sharing.

Let's hobble on regardless?
Old 10-23-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Painful hips and feet!

I searched this topic just now for this exact reason! I'm at about 6 1/2 months and while I feel much better in general, the pain in my hips and heels/feet has been terrible. For a couple of months just getting up and walking was excruciating, though it would go away quickly once I started moving. It felt like I was walking like a 90 year old. I also could not close my right hand in the morning when I woke up and the fingers on my right hand were numb. I've always been fit and have never had joint or feet issues so was curious if it was related to quitting...I did a lot of yoga for a while thinking it might help but it actually made it worse. All of these symptoms seem to be diminishing a little day by but I also wondered if I needed to go tho the doctor - I was so afraid that my life was going to be miserable!
Totally understand the brain thing too - I sometimes can't recall things that happened just days ago lol, but that's getting better too.
Hope your symptoms get better and that we're experiencing the effects of our bodies healing.

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies, they definitely helped. Just knowing someone else has experienced the same.

I had a laugh in between reading, too.
Fintime:

Anyway, thanks you all for sharing.

Let's hobble on regardless?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome cangirl

The pain sounds excruciating - why not get it checked out?

ps If you’re reading Ayers, you are missed!

D
Old 10-23-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Do you think our bodies cope in miraculous ways while we are drinking ...

Or is it just that I am suddenly feeling my age ...?
Unequivocally, Yes and YES.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So glad you posted this. I feel the same way! I am at almost 4 months. I will be searching for a word, a simple word, that I know and can't get to it. I also find myself not speaking correctly sometimes, like my mind has a glitch. It's super scary and I hope it gets better. I also feel like Ive gained years on my body. I am 37 and have always been super active, I thought quitting drinking was going to make me feel better physically! Obviously in many ways it does but I am sore all the time now and am having terrible lower back pains after sitting for a while or driving. So maybe I am just feeling my age but who knows maybe it will go away. I hope!!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First I gained about 12 lbs, and lost 3 inches on my waist. Started working out consistently. My systemic inflammation went down quite a bit. Mentally, I started to remember much better and think clearly. I did get emotional from time to time which I hear is normal. Congrats on your sober time.