Notices

Depression... how long can this last?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression... how long can this last?

Anyone had this and then it passed? How long did it take? This is the worst thing. I never had depression in my entire life and not when I was drinking either. Of course it's hard to be depressed when you either don't have time because you're working, or you're drunk.

But I have this every stinking afternoon. I't's typically not that bad during the day and today I was actually very upbeat. Until, as always, I'm home and 5-6PM, formerly known as 'drinking hour' rolls around. I try to do stuff, but I'm not interested in anything. It's just this weird sort of depressing detachment from everything. Everything is just sort of a gray foggy haze for lack of better terms. This really sucks, I hope it goes away. If this is one of the reasons people fail at stopping drinking, I get it.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took 20-21 months for my depression to finally go away. Like you I had never suffered from depression before drinking or while I was active in my addiction.

What got me through it is knowing that once it passed I would never have to experience it again as long as I kept working my program.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't say how long you've been sober. But, during the first months after finally stopping for the hundredth time for good, I ran the gamut of emotions.
I was masking an underlying case of generalized anxiety disorder with drink.

Perhaps you suffer from depression and it's been masked by drinking.
If it persists, I would see a psychologist or psychiatrist or even a gp.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi wayback, depression, anxiety and mood swings are very common in early sobriety. How many days sober are you? I found that the physical withdrawals go away in about 10 days. But the emotional rollercoaster can take a couple months or more. For me, it took about six months to really feel balanced. I would start to feel good, then the depression would hit again. But over time, it got much better.

If this is severe or if you think it will hinder your sobriety, you might want to talk to your doctor about a prescription, even if only temporary, to help with this. I worked with a naturopath and started some supplements, which have been a life saver. I actually still take them because I tend to have underlying anxiety which is part of what was fueling my drinking in the first place.

Other ideas are to try mindful exercises like yoga or meditation, either on your own or in a class, perhaps even during the “drinking hour” to replace thoughts about drinking.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being moody or depressed is common early on. It gets better the longer you're sober, but if it doesn't get better after some solid sober time, a checkup might be a good idea.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Hi Wayback - What you describe sounds very familiar. The “happy hour” time immediately after work was my worst time as well. To this day I try to plan an activity between leaving work and going home - now I hit an AA or SMART meeting, go for coffee, shopping, take a yoga class, go to the library (even if it is to just browse the stacks)...fill in any non-drinking activity. I still get extremely anxious if I have to go home immediately after work.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry, everyone. Today is 56 days not drinking. The depression did not start until after the first week or so. That first week, I just seemed to think everything was funny, for some reason. Seriously, I'd read something that I normally might think was mildly amusing and I'd just be laughing out loud.

Then it just hit me, gradually at first, then increased over a few days until it's like it is now.

I'll try to ignore it by doing things, like reading a book, watching a show, playing a computer game. But it's always like 'I don't like this book, it sucks. I'll try a different one. Nope, this one sucks too'. Well, everything sucks and that's just the way it is.

Maybe I just woke up older after a 10 year binge and this is normal for my age.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also will add, I see a GP. He's a good guy and knows about my drinking. Knows about it well. My wife actually told him I've become depressed and ask about him prescribing something. He didn't want to do that right now and I declined as well. I don't want to trade one habit for another. I mean, I apparently get addicted to stuff and so that could be more than just alcohol, I don't know.

'd rather get over this naturally. I walk a lot every day and that helps, during the day. Does not help this drinking hour blues. I have to be honest, I did not expect this, not at all. I expected to miss drinking for a while. To have withdrawals. That happened and that all seems to be gone now, even the cravings for the most part and I don't really miss drinking now. I'd just as soon have a ginger ale, and that won't kill me.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, TWB, it doesn't hurt to be seen by a doctor about how you are feeling. Clinical depression has a number of indicators, including how long the symptoms are present and a variety of other markers. Don't feel afraid to see somebody about it if this continues, if it becomes worse, becoming something that you have beyond just a few hours in a day or plagues you at all times.

Are you doing anything else aside from not drinking to further your recovery? The feelings of disinterest in things is pretty common. As has been suggested, altering your routine can be a helpful strategy, especially if you can include some human contact in the pursuit(s). There may be inertia of "everything sucks right now" that you may have to overcome with commitment to yourself and/or to others.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I keep control of depression with my GP
Old 02-27-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To me it was like the breakup of a relationship. Booze was my constant companion for over 40 years....always there for me, even when it was causing problems. It took a few months to get over it. Sorry you’re feeling so low, but keep plugging on. Keep trying different activities during those hours.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You say that walking helps, and I agree that it is one thing that completely changes my mindset immediately.

How about taking a walk during that hour that is bothering you? I bet it would work! It does for me.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You say that walking helps, and I agree that it is one thing that completely changes my mindset immediately.

How about taking a walk during that hour that is bothering you? I bet it would work! It does for me.
It's hard, I'm out here in the sticks. Heavily wooded area and there are few street lights. It gets dark now before 6PM. And it's cold. Will be a lot easier to do that this Spring, so will give it a try. It's a good idea for sure.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, depression came back again this evening. I know, I'm too impatient. I drank like there was no tomorrow left to drink, for 10 years. And now I want everything to be all better in less than 2 months? Including the massive amount of damage I did to my health.

Is that too much to ask for? /sarcasm

Today, the depression came with some craving. First of that in a week or so. I was actually convinced for a few moments (couple of hours?) that a couple of beers actually would help. That was really dumb, but at least I didn't do it.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I remember being very angry @ 60 days. Different emotions ebb and flow. The winter has been causing me some depression. Early evenings and cold weather. May be normal for you. Especially right now.
I get what you mean by things becoming less interesting too. I described it as being stale. I'm trying to set short term goals for myself to keep me moving up the hill. For every up hill, there's a downhill. It's coming. It's got to be.
Not sure if any of that helps, but I understand what you are feeling.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
I remember being very angry @ 60 days. Different emotions ebb and flow. The winter has been causing me some depression. Early evenings and cold weather. May be normal for you. Especially right now.
I get what you mean by things becoming less interesting too. I described it as being stale. I'm trying to set short term goals for myself to keep me moving up the hill. For every up hill, there's a downhill. It's coming. It's got to be.
Not sure if any of that helps, but I understand what you are feeling.
I had the anger part early on. Why should I have to stop drinking?, I thought. It's not fair, I should be able to drink all I want! Just pure anger, it was terrible. I knew I couldn't drink because I was already very sick. But I wanted to anyway, it's crazy how people will still want to drink when it's literally killing them.

Once I got over that a little, everything was hilarious, all of the time.

Then the depression slipped in. The entire gambit of emotions. I guess you get so used to being numb all the time that it's almost sort of shocking you can feel all this stuff.

"Not sure if any of that helps, but I understand what you are feeling."

Thanks, definitely helps, glad I found this place. I've been coming here every afternoon.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Walk on

Originally Posted by TheWayBack View Post
Anyone had this and then it passed? How long did it take? This is the worst thing. I never had depression in my entire life and not when I was drinking either. Of course it's hard to be depressed when you either don't have time because you're working, or you're drunk.

But I have this every stinking afternoon. I't's typically not that bad during the day and today I was actually very upbeat. Until, as always, I'm home and 5-6PM, formerly known as 'drinking hour' rolls around. I try to do stuff, but I'm not interested in anything. It's just this weird sort of depressing detachment from everything. Everything is just sort of a gray foggy haze for lack of better terms. This really sucks, I hope it goes away. If this is one of the reasons people fail at stopping drinking, I get it.
I felt it on the quiet days where everything was boring and nothing appealed to me, but day 42 and it's no longer a problem. I am much more productive than I used to be, on my quiet days I keep myself busy and I enjoy it. I remember the first few free days I had loads I COULD do but it all seemed boring and all I really wanted to do was smoke or drink.

The cravings still exist but they are much weaker and less obsessive, I know what relapsing would cost me and after 2 years of constantly trying and failing I'm finally making it the longest and most succesful so far. I suspect the little sneaky craving will always remain but I now have control to say "no, moderation is impossible".
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand you being worried about this, but try to patient for a bit longer.

But, it could be that your 10 years of drinking was covering up depression that you weren't really aware of. That's a possibility, so when you stop drinking, you still need to deal with the depression. It could also be that your body is still adjusting to life without alcohol, and taking steps to do things you enjoy is the best thing to do.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Still having the depression. Friday was my best day since quitting though. I was feeling very positive and just good overall. Then I managed to stay really busy doing things with the wife over the weekend, so I maybe didn't have time to notice if I was being down or not. So that works, but I can't do that all of the time. Back to work today, now beer o'clock approaching... I guess I'll see, hope it has subsided some. 65 days.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over two months sober! I'd suggest practicing gratitude every day and see if that helps. Being grateful makes me happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0