Notices

Post 1, Day 3

Old 02-25-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post 1, Day 3

Hello. Creating this account was one of the hardest things I've ever done, because it is finally acknowledging to myself that I'm an alcoholic. I've been a somewhat heavier than usual drinker for 20 or so years, but the last 6 months have quickly ramped up to where life will soon be completely out of control if I don't take serious action. I feel awful, have gained weight, work is becoming increasingly difficult and stressful, I have been turning away from all the positive things in my life to sit in a bar, then grab more booze on the way home.

I had stumbled on this site maybe 5 years back, but I was still in denial about my problem. At that point I was able to control it somewhat; perhaps 3 drinks a couple weeknights, and a 6 pack on Saturday. It was always hard to stop there, but I could usually do it. Found this place again a few months back and started reading nightly. I had been drinking probably 8-10 drinks per night, 5-7 nights per week at that point. I've been trying to stop, but have repeatedly made it to day 2 or 4, just to slip up. I need to create some accountability for myself, along with a host of other tools that I still need to hash out. This seems like a great community that has helped many people, who's stories in many way reflect mine.

I have finally come to grips with the fact that I am not capable of moderating, and from what I've seen on these forums it seems like self-torture anyway. I need to stop forever and completely.

That was longer than intended. So anyway, hello. I'll be around here a lot.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Know the feeling.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to our merry bunch! This is a great place, full of lots of support and resources.

I hope we hear a lot from you!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We've all been there, in various states and stages of this battle. Welcome.

What's your plan?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi ZeroDawn. Three days is great — keep it going. Accepting that I had to completely abstain from alcohol is what led me from occasional "nights off" to (now) over two years of sobriety.