Notices

New here

Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi. Not sure if I belong here. I drink way too much - daily - but my life isn't in shambles or anything. My liver is taking a beating, I'm sure, and my wallet definitely is, but I have no desire to drink in the mornings, and I know I'll never drink on the job.

Bottom line is, is this the right place for me? I don't want to throw people off their recovery rhythm or whatever.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Sure it's the right place for you. We have all sorts of folks here with one common reason, we have a problem with drink.
Are you trying to stop drinking, you don't say.
Stick around if you are, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Bandersnatch.

If you feel that your alcohol intake is a cause for concern then this is definitely the right place. I too never used to drink in the mornings. In fact I never used to drink before about 7pm and would stop well before midnight but over the years I began to drink earlier and earlier until I was drinking by lunchtime. In the end it cost me a job I loved and cost me more than one relationship.

Maybe your drinking is at the stage where you can still control it to some extent but you could find that over time it starts to get out of control so I would say that this is the right site for you. At the very least reading the posts here can help you decide if your drinking is a problem and if so to what extent.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Hi. Not sure if I belong here...but I have no desire to drink in the mornings, and I know I'll never drink on the job.
Not yet, anyway. But if you keep drinking, that may be where you end up.

Hope you decide to quit while you can.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are definitely in the right place. My life wasn't a shambles when I joined. I also wasn't drinking daily and wasn't drinking excessively on every occasion. My weekend binges were bleeding into mornings though. Then some Mondays. When one binge hit Tuesday, I joined the boards. The fact you've joined and posted means you are in the right place
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heyyyy and welcome, I think that you have found yourself here, suggests that you have concerns.
I have an unhealthy relationship with drink/drugs. ( I don't like labels 😃
I'm early days 27 days sober
And Dec 6th was the last and final time i took drugs.
You will find all sorts of advice, support, friendship. With no judgement.
I wish you love and strength if quitting is what you wish to achieve.
🙏💖
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bandersnatch

I can only speak for myself. I have drank the better part of the last 22 years and the problem only gets worst over time. You might be surprised how much worst things can get.

In fact, things WILL get worst.

Take a look around and read a bunch. Lot's of good people and info here.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks to everybody who replied! I reposted in the alcohol section because I didn't see it when I originally posted. (Trying to do anything online with a smart phone is a pain!) I'll probably end up hanging out over there somewhere. Best to everyone in whatever you're working on!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[left]Hi. Not sure if I belong here. I drink way too much - daily - but my life isn't in shambles or anything. My liver is taking a beating, I'm sure, and my wallet definitely is, but I have no desire to drink in the mornings, and I know I'll never drink on the job.
OMG! Been there done that. Exactly there. It's the same thing I thought at my first AA meeting.

Bottom line is, is this the right place for me? I don't want to throw people off their recovery rhythm or whatever.
Don't worry about that one bit. Hey, if you actually decide you don't belong here, no harm has been done. But just between you and me, it sounds like this is where you should be. If not, consider it just a stop along the way to deciding who you are and what you hope to be.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you join us, Bandersnatch. I drank the same way as you - but did nothing about it. Ended up drinking 24/7 with a ruined life. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what impact alcohol is having on you. Welcome.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have no desire to drink in the mornings, and I know I'll never drink on the job
No one plans on this man. Wasn't my goal. None of us wanted our drinking to become daytime, on the job or out of control. But this thing is progressive, as I'm sure you're heard, you may know or you'll come to find out.

Either way welcome, this place is amazing. But trust me when I first got here I knew I had an issue, but I wasn't drinking during the day or at work. I'm sure at that point I couldn't have imagined it either. But it came.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's the right place for you if you want it to be the right place for you. I never drank in the mornings, never let drinking affect my job....yet here I am. I'm an alcoholic, I'm in recovery, I'm whatever anyone feels like labeling me. I just know I drank too much, and wanted to not do that anymore.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Someone once told me that there are three things that tell you you have a problem with alcohol: 1. You can’t just have one drink, 2. As soon as you have a drink it changes your character, even if it’s just slightly, 3. You’re unable to go long periods more than a month without having a drink or often craving a drink. I don’t know if this helps, but it certainly helped me. I was able to go to work, hold down a job, maintain relationships (behind a few lies!), but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t affecting my mental health, the quality of my work, and the quality of my relationships. Since I’ve stopped (although I’ve relapsed recently which is why I came here) my life has improved substantially. My mental health is ten times better, people say I look happier and younger, and my quality of life is 100x better. Alcohol is an addictive poison. I write this down all the time to remind myself that it’s a malicious poison, not a drink. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My life wasn't in a shambles when I was at your point, either. I didn't stop then even when I kind of knew I should. It is in a shambles now. Better to stop before the disasters, methinks.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you decide what to do about your drinking.

I love your name. I like Lewis Carroll.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never drank on the job. I rarely drank in the morning. I'm still an alcoholic though. Just because I don't drink on the job or in the morning doesn't mean I don't obsess about alcohol ALL THE TIME.
When I control my drinking I don't enjoy it and when I enjoy my drinking I don't control it.

I'm glad you're here.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rc29 View Post
I never drank on the job. I rarely drank in the morning. I'm still an alcoholic though. Just because I don't drink on the job or in the morning doesn't mean I don't obsess about alcohol ALL THE TIME.
When I control my drinking I don't enjoy it and when I enjoy my drinking I don't control it.

I'm glad you're here.
^^ That
Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Bandersnatch.

We don't get many people on these boards on a research project - most of them have the same affliction(s) we do.

And you sound no different.

There was a time many years ago when I could describe my drinking and the rather modest consequences like you did in the OP, but that all gave way to chronic drunkenness and problems (very severe ones).

You have an opportunity to stop before you get too far down the path.

I hope you seize it amigo.

Least - you're quite the literati. I don't recall having read Lewis Carroll yet.
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
^^ That
Yup. Exactly.
  # 20 (permalink)  
sober style

If you drink too much, you should feel right at home here. A lot of us here used to drink too much, go figure!