Notices

Random, but have their ever been any meet ups in this group??

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Random, but have their ever been any meet ups in this group??

I’ve been here for only a short 9 months, but have checked in every single day, and I could never thank this site and their members enough!! Truly, SR and my fellow friends in recovery have saved me when I didn’t think I could be saved!! I would love to actually meet some of you or have a sober party with some awesome non alcoholic drinks and amazing food!! Just some good ol clean fun!! I’m in Cleveland, and I know a lot of our members are in the UK and beyond, but wondered if there was ever any kind of meet ups in this group! I love you guys, truly I do! You were once “strangers”, but now I see you as my amazing “sober friends”! Either way, just wanted to let you all know that I think you rock and I think you are some of the strongest and most incredible people I have ever “met”. Thanks guys for everything💕💕
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My laptop stopped working over the weekend, and it was very frustrating. Can't afford a new one right now, and I missed this place. I tried loggin in with my phone, but it kept saying wrong password. Bloody 'ell.

But anyway! Just confirms how much I rely on this place and miss you people when I'm not able to get on here. As far as meeting people from here....I haven't yet, but totally would. I'm not really big on "anonymity" as I've explained in previous posts. I am who I am, proud of my sobriety, and am an open book. I believe people are inherently "good", so I'm not scared to meet, and also always carry my 9mm S&W just in case...'Murica!

Unfortunately I'm always working, so my traveling schedule is very limited. I'd love to do a sober vacation like I mentioned, either by myself or with other sober weirdos. Okay, I'm rambling again....cheerio!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure I've seen posts where a handful of members have met up but given that posters here are literally from all corners of the earth it's not going to be easy for posters to organise meet ups!

That said, I have been a member of a stop smoking usenet newsgroup (as3 if anyone recalls that from many years ago) and despite members being from all over the world a number of posters did organise a meet up on a handful of occasions in the US with posters travelling from the UK and beyond. And I'm a member of a UK based music website, again with posters from all over the world, where there have been meet-ups in London and various other cities in Europe as well as Melbourne. So it can be done but all the meetups that happened were by long term posters who had got to know each other throughout the years.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi AmbyMarie

I am new here so I can't say if there has or has not been a meetup.

However, I can say that if there were a meetup for newcomers it would be a bad idea. Simply because it is our tendency to latch on to relationships when we should be focused on sobriety.

On the other hand, I think if there were meetups for those past a certain period, maybe 6 months or a year. That would be a worthwhile endeavor.

I think a veteran could perhaps chime in here with even more insight.

Have a great day.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have met up with a few people I "met" here, because they live either close to me, or in a city I traveled to. But as far as more organized meet-ups, I haven't heard of any. Doesn't mean it can't happen...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not in aa but get the impression it's good to meet local people going through the same stuff. People who understand and as wobert says those who have more sober time than us who we can learn from
Old 02-25-2019, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There was one meetup many (13 or 14) years ago. It was held in NYC, I believe. I, personally, have been lucky enough to meet up numerous times, with an awesome member who lives near me. I think some members have arranged to meet someone in their area from time to time.

I think that it's good to remember that there are some members who really value their anonymity. And, it's because of that anonymity that they feel comfortable coming here and sharing from their heart. It seems to me that those members might feel nervous if a meetup was discussed.

As someone else mentioned, if you choose to use AA, you will obviously meet people from your area who are trying to stop drinking or in recovery. So, that's an option, too.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m about to meet a member who’s coming to NYC in three weeks. I have regular sober chats and texts with a couple of members, the support and comradery means the world to me.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I met one of the members here five years ago and she gave me a great little cat, Lily.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Amby,

I would totally be down for a meet up. We could do it in Vegas. So many shows and places to eat.

I can tell you from my sober time in Vegas, there is so much to do for us non drinkers.

It also a great place to see drunk people acting drunk, which for me is a total reason not to drink.

But, I could see some folks thinking Vegas is like walking into the lions den. I would hate for someone to relapse on an SR meet up.

I was just thinking out loud anyway.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would but i'm 1000 miles away.