Notices

Tricky Time

Old 02-25-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tricky Time

7 months today. In the last 3 years I’ve had 8 months, 7 months, & now 7 months again. I’m determined to keep it going this time but afraid of another slip up.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is understandable. I don't really have any advice but I know you can do it.

Look after yourself. Eat something delicious. You have got this x
Old 02-25-2019, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know how they say we have nothign to fear but gear itself? that's pretty much true.

I used to drink all day everyday - I had no confidence I could stay sober - but I did, day after day - I worked at it and I made decisions that reflected my desire to be sober.

(Over time it got a lot easier too )

It really is true we never have to drink again if we don;t want to - you hold the reins Tailai

D
Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Great job on 7 months. I know the feeling. I’m always afraid of another slip up. Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I messed my first real go at sobriety up at 7 months. And then when it came around again I was afraid of it. But it's just a day, or a week, or a month. Do whatever you need to do to get through that day, week, or month sober. You can do it. And then when it's in your rearview mirror, hopefully you'll be like, "Hey, it was just a day. I didn't need to worry about it. I've got this!"

Have faith in yourself and know that others have faith in you, too.

Best of luck, and congrats on your sober time!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great and thank you for sharing! Both the accomplishment and the concern - because we all have some fear, anxiety, whatever it is specific to us, at times.

I apologize if I missed it but I can't recall what you are doing to stay sober this time? I have found that in times of any challenges (mental, or literal, or self-imposed for sure since that's how my alcoholic brain can work ) doing MORE of what I do to be in recovery is the best way to stay that way, and to calm my worries down along the way. For me, that means reaching out to more people or more (AA) meetings, or telling my husband specifically what is going on, or napping or yoga or....ice cream for dinner even

Glad you are here!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
7 months today. In the last 3 years I’ve had 8 months, 7 months, & now 7 months again. I’m determined to keep it going this time but afraid of another slip up.
Is there some trigger at about 7/8 months that you can think of?

The usual common triggers often seem to be the 3s - 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. As you are able to do 7 months I'm curious what happens at that point. It's a long period of sobriety to give up.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will find that, each day of sobriety, will give you a bit more confidence. Remember how far you've come and what you've accomplished.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

7 months is great. But not good enough. You don't want me to catch up, do you? Just don't drink. You got this!!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all - what's helpful here is it's getting me thinking as you say - what is it about 7 months? What is happening? How are you staying sober for a decent amount of time and then BAM? I have to go back to the concept that rings the most true to me - exercise. I must keep up the exercise routine.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

staying fit is good but what if you you get injured or something?

I think it's likely it's not just slacking off of exercise that gets you drinking again??

what things do you do specifically for your recovery and to stay a non drinker?

D
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I discussed this with my wife last night she reminded me of something that I must have repressed since it’s pretty weak & embarrassing. I play USTA tennis in an adult league. The matches always start late, around 8 or 9. By that time I was usually half in the bag waiting to play & I would play half drunk. But a wonderful thing happened. I used to get nervous playing - it’s a very competitive league - but when I was full of drink no more nerves!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It got to the point where I wouldn’t play without drinking. I tried it without & I had myself so psyched out that I couldn’t play & I’m one of the top players .
Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So after trying to play sober I would eventually try to drink only when I played which would eventually lead to drinking all day, every day, every time. Pretty weak! Currently, I am playing tennis sober & NOT playing USTA. And playing as well as I’ve ever played.