Notices

Naltrexone

Old 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

In a previous effort to give up drinking, I thought Naltrexone was going to be the wonder drug that was going to keep me sober.

The first night I took it, within hours I was cold sweating, huddled on the ground and throwing up. I was nearly about to call an ambulance.

Threw the rest out.

I think the instructions said to be alcohol free for 7 Days, at the time I couldn't do it for one day let alone for 7 days.

Like to see any opinions/experiences on Naltrexone.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-24-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: removed you tube TSM
Old 02-24-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no wonder drug to make us/keep us sober. It's all up to us to do the work and find what will work for us. There are many tools that can help us on our recovery journey and we need to use those that work for us. Naltrexone may help some people but I haven't personally used it.

We don't discuss the Sinclair Method on this board because it endorses the use of alcohol which is against our rules.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
There is no wonder drug to make us/keep us sober. It's all up to us to do the work and find what will work for us. There are many tools that can help us on our recovery journey and we need to use those that work for us. Naltrexone may help some people but I haven't personally used it.

We don't discuss the Sinclair Method on this board because it endorses the use of alcohol which is against our rules.
Sorry Anna, didn't realise, delete the thread if you wish.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Naltrexone Question

I have been on Naltrexone for 2-3 weeks and didn’t experience any side effects. I am on it primarily for the opiate blocker and that is working; I haven’t had any cravings for pills which is a huge liberation for me.
it is suppose to help with alcohol cravings but I am still having those cravings....so far I’ve been able to not give into the alcohol cravings and I can’t tell if it’s just my usual routine that needs to change or if it’s just the addiction that I will always have to live with. I know there are other medications that are given for alcohol but I am not familiar with those. I recently got out of a 45 day rehab and the Naltrexone is what they recommended, but I know it’s different for everyone.
good luck on your sobriety!
Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too was prescribed Naltrexone, I had similar reaction, even at half dose. I guess there are some of us who don't do well with it.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

I had troublesome side effects with Naltrexone as well. I did have success with Campral combined with CBT. The main problem with Campral is that you had to remember to take it three times a day, but it worked wonders for cravings.