Now my sister

Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now my sister

Hi my friends and important people in my dream team,

My spouse is faring much better, sober since April and with it I’ve been sober and non-smoking too! Grateful.

Now my my sister is in difficult times. It seems she needs some support to stop drinking. She is dealing with alcohol related health issues and with having to be around other heavy drinkers.

My spouse, with the wisdom of recovery hindsight, thinks I should drop everything, and visit her tomorrow. My gut says to wait until after she’s had some blood tests etc done before I visit.

Am I in denial about my sister, not wanting to take advice, or being sensible? I know my sister needs help, but I feel like I’m being bullied or guilted into going by my spouse.

Any thoughts would, as ever be read with gratitude and appreciation.

Thank you for reading.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is my opinion that you should listen to your instincts. Do what feels right for YOU.

As you know, true recovery comes from with-in. You waiting a few days or weeks before visiting your sister isn't going to be the end all/be all of her recovery.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

has she ASKED you for help?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
It is my opinion that you should listen to your instincts. Do what feels right for YOU.

As you know, true recovery comes from with-in. You waiting a few days or weeks before visiting your sister isn't going to be the end all/be all of her recovery.
Thank you! I’m thinking along these lines. And I will have time to look into a few places where she can get help in her area, at least present them to her so she knows there are people and places that could give her more support.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
has she ASKED you for help?
Thanks for asking. An important question. Not in so many words. I think I may ask her if she wants my help, and in what way and take it from there. Otherwise, I’m worrying and no sense in that.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zukunft View Post

Thanks for asking. An important question. Not in so many words. I think I may ask her if she wants my help, and in what way and take it from there. Otherwise, I’m worrying and no sense in that.
Asking sounds like a good idea . . . .helping others can be my personal heroin but that is just me.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

might wanna be careful of that bolded part. instead of her setting the boundaries on how you help, you should be setting the boundaries on how you help.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that’s the most important question of all……….does she even want your help? Not in so many words…………..means it’s not a yes and that you are hopeful that if you just forge ahead for her own good and help, things will get better for her and make you feel good that you were able to help her. That is really not how it works.

I think you need to prepare yourself for her not wanting the kind of help you think she needs and as hard as it may be to accept that.

Depending on the results of her medical tests lets hope she makes a healthy decision to help herself and allow others to offer their support.