Notices

Attempting a New Beginning

Old 02-23-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attempting a New Beginning

Hello all

My name is Robert and I have been an alcoholic for far too long. Today I have decided that I was going to take action against the addiction that has caused my self and my broken family so much pain.

I believe I can get sober with a little bit of help and support from people that understand what it's like to be an addict. In my experience, sometimes a non-addict confrontation feels like a personal attack. While I understand others frustrations with my addiction, sometimes I feel misunderstood and my fragility and vulnerabilities cause me to feel pain. It's a vicious cycle that keeps repeating. It's time to stop.

My goal is that I can stop drinking by finally admitting how much damage I have caused, and to begin the process of forgiving myself and loving myself. I also need to clear out the negative mantras that have a hold of me and replace them with new and positive ones.

I don't expect this to be easy, but I hope that perhaps I will get the help I need and in turn perhaps help others too.

Thanks for reading
Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Robert. We've all been in the same place you are at the moment. I'm newly sober and this site has been fantastic and really heped me when I was struggling.

My advice would be to join a class on here. I'm in class of January 2019, but the February one would be a good start.

Good luck and keep looking for support on here. There will always be someone happy to help.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. This place is pretty amazing, as you may already know. It's certainly what got me sober, finally, after many many years. One thing I was asked early on in my sobriety, which used to frustrate me but now I see as essential is this - what is your plan?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Robert.

I felt so relieved when I joined SR. Just to have understanding & friendship calmed my anxiety about quitting. I hope you'll feel the same. Congratulations for seeing what needs to happen in your life - you'll never regret getting free.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paperbag View Post
Hello Robert. We've all been in the same place you are at the moment. I'm newly sober and this site has been fantastic and really heped me when I was struggling.

My advice would be to join a class on here. I'm in class of January 2019, but the February one would be a good start.

Good luck and keep looking for support on here. There will always be someone happy to help.
Thanks for the reply Paperbag. I don't see where to join a class. Could you please provide a link?

Thank you
Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome to SR Robert! You will definately find and lot of helpful information and advice from others that have walked a mile in your shoes with no judgement here.

Originally Posted by Wobert View Post
I also need to clear out the negative mantras that have a hold of me and replace them with new and positive ones.
Just wanted to pick up on the above, for me this is vital for recovery. I have a little whiteboard by my kitchen door with some positive mantra's on or ones that make me stop and think. One of them is "What story are you telling yourself". I used to tell myself I was stupid, hopeless, a horrible person, not worth loving and that I wasn't good enough. Quite often my reaction to other people was in response to the story I was telling myself not what they were telling me so I got defensive or responded inappropriately.

Time to start telling yourself a better story Rob, glad you found us! xx

Link to the class: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-16.html

All you have to do to join is post a hello!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Robert! It sounds like you have a great attitude.

You can do this!
Old 02-23-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robert - welcome

The February 'Class' support group is here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-13.html

All you need to do to join is post in it.

Have you tried to quit before?
D
Old 02-23-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR🙂
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you're ready to do this.

What you have said is very true. You do need to begin to forgive yourself and to love yourself. And, focusing on the positive is always important. Recovery obviously involves much more than stopping drinking. We're here for you.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcomes

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Robert - welcome

Have you tried to quit before?
D
I have tried a few times and with some success. However, I have never actually joined a support group or anything. In the past I have quit on my own.