Notices

Why am I so tired and feeling low??

Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I so tired and feeling low??

Is this common is sobriety? I’m at9 months and the last couple of weeks, I’ve had some “brain fog” type symptoms, feeling low and more tired than usual. I could understand feeling this way in the beginning, but why now?? I didn’t have any real early withdrawal and felt fantastic in the first 7 months or so, the last 2, I have felt kinda off, but can’t really pinpoint why!! I’m aware of paws, but not sure why those symptoms would just be appearing now! I work hard and am a single Mom of 2 kids so I’m sure that adds to fatigue, but the last week or 2, I’ve been able to sleep 9-10 hours! Before I slept about 7 and felt that was enough. I’m allowing myself the extra sleep because I’m sure my body wants it, and I have been taking high doses of melatonin off and on. I’m wondering if something is wrong with me?? Surely if I had anything too “serious”, I would know of it by now. I have had depression and anxiety most of my adult life which I “medicated” with alcohol. I’ve also had some twinges in my right side, but I get those in my left side too so not sure if that’s just normal body functions or what?! I never had liver pain in the past, so why the twinges now?? I feel like I’m losing my mind and losing hope that I will ever feel “normal” again😓
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have ten years sober and still go through the things you mentioned. I chalk it up to growing older?
If you're too worried, I would see a doctor and get a blood work up and physical. Have you had one any time since you quit drinking?
Sometimes even 'normal' people go through these things. That's why there's doctors
Try not to worry.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

9 months sober is still very early recovery. there is no magic threshold we cross and skip joyfully along symptom free. it is not at all unusual to have "flare ups" at certain milestones in recovery - 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, a year. the brain is just recalibrating, trying to get the dopamine and seratonin and whatever else is up there balanced out, things are banging around, new synapses are forming. it's a very busy time - this healing business!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had experience with what you are experiencing at different intervals. I'm coming up on 2 years and I still have off periods, ups and downs both physical and mental. Ya know, this just might be what life is without constantly changing things chemically. You mean, I can't just change how I feel instantly?

That being said, its winter. Maybe low vitamin D? Have some blood work done, checking micronutrients like b1, D, magnesium. Have them check you liver enzymes, why not? Have you ever tried red light therapy? Its available at tanning salons, and no its not the dangerous tanning light. Its really soothing and I swear it helps with the winter blues.

Hang in there.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

AmbyMarie, 9 months is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. Our AV(Addictive Voice) is one sneaky SOB and will do anything to trip you up. Not only that, not all problems are related to alcohol. Going on 9 years sober and I've re-occurring highs and lows. I can honestly say my laziness and procrastination has nothing to do with abusing chemical substances. I've had little luck changing those kinds of habits. Just don't drink. If these problems persist, get a checkup. Rootin for ya.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SIB

It may not have anything to do with sobriety. I literally just realized a few months ago that excessive carbs turn me into a zombie. Literally cannot get out of bed and very low motivation. I cut them out and was as spry as ever, then I made lasagna last week and boom - zombie syndrome came back, and it lasted a few days even. Back to the meat and greens.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Admittedly my diet has been crap since Christmas!! Lots and lots of candy and sweets🙄. When I first got sober, I adopted a very healthy lifestyle and ate very clean and felt great!! You know, I think there is something to be said of that!! Also the cold and gray days in Ohio probably don’t help my mindset! That and my coffee consumption is unreal! I easily drink a pot and a half a day!! That can’t be good!! Seem I can’t moderate anything!! Up til now, the AV stayed away and I had ZERO desire to drink!! I thought I lucked out on that one!! But lo and behold, since these symptoms have come on, something in the back of my head was saying “ geez, what’s the point in giving up booze to feel like s—t anyways”?? Yeah, take it that was classic AV! And to be 100% honest with you all, I actually thought about it!! Thank God that thought was very fleeting!! I was hoping at this stage, sobriety would come easy! I guess it really isn’t a walk in the park, and anything worth having takes hard work!! I just really needed to reach out tonight. This was the first time I heard the AV, and I didn’t like it very much!! I’m staying sober!! I’m worth it!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks my friends, from the bottom of my heart. I would be utterly lost without you💖
Old 02-21-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Could just be normal ups and downs, but as said, if it persists, get a thorough checkup.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Could it be depression? If you've had it before and only ever (in the past) self-medicated with alcohol? Perhaps it's worth seeing a doctor.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you able to exercise? Start slow / a 10 minute walk, some jumping jacks, & gradually increase. Set goals. I feel your pain. It’s tough to get started.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Am,

I get down and low energy as well. It was worse for the first year or so.

Yesterday, I woke up at 3 am after falling asleep, off and on, at 7 PM. I work odd hours and it totally messes w me.

My energy level felt very low. But, I had coffee, tea, and ate a healthy meal of pork and fresh spinach gorditas.

Then I did some honey dos and I layed back down. I was feeling a bit blue. It was a snowy. I always try to count my blessings and thank God for all of them, including being a non drinker.

I took some creatine and I hit the gym. I started out feeling cold and energy less.

Then, boom, the creatine and spinach kicked in. I was a work out machine. Next thing the endorphins kick in and I am having a great day. Jamming to my music and getting swole.

The deal was that my body was good to go, my mind was telling me no. Because I don't drink, I seem to always have way more energy than my mind leads me to believe.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great insight D, mind said no, body good to go.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Amby Marie- you have been sharing such good stuff lately! And asking good questions- like bringing this up. Like others have said, 9 months is AWESOME - and very EARLY. That might sound weird or contradictory, but I sure had a lot more adjusting to do in every way - and will say that at just 3 yr yesterday, I have "bouts" of different things or ones that surface in diff ways than they did early on. They are less often and intense, sometimes, but the low of a few days of depression (my husband and i have an agreement that if my hiding etc behaviors characteristic of it go for 7-10 days we sit down about bigger steps than the tools I am using) - and my anxiety presents in diff ways.

I'll share that some of the "traditional markers" like 9 mo, while awesome, weren't necessarily some of the best points for me so far. I had a great month 10, better than 9, and 13 better than 12. The 2 year mark saw me agitated and frustrated over how much everyone would celebrate me (or not - ummm, hi ego!) and this last 10 days have been some of the best I've had and will remain a special mark in my memory.

Some of this up and down coincides with stuff like a serious back injury just about a year ago, and dealing with the process of healing. Other periods were the fall months and thru Dec, just passed, with a LOT of family stress and drama revolving around my step kids.

I'd look at the eating and possibly see a dr if your mood continues to trouble you...my psych and meds, diet, ability to do yoga now even if vids at home from my studio owner...spending time alone and also with people I love and enjoy....so many things support my best life, and accepting the ebbs and flows.

So glad you are here!!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Amby Marie- you have been sharing such good stuff lately! And asking good questions- like bringing this up. Like others have said, 9 months is AWESOME - and very EARLY. That might sound weird or contradictory, but I sure had a lot more adjusting to do in every way - and will say that at just 3 yr yesterday, I have "bouts" of different things or ones that surface in diff ways than they did early on. They are less often and intense, sometimes, but the low of a few days of depression (my husband and i have an agreement that if my hiding etc behaviors characteristic of it go for 7-10 days we sit down about bigger steps than the tools I am using) - and my anxiety presents in diff ways.

I'll share that some of the "traditional markers" like 9 mo, while awesome, weren't necessarily some of the best points for me so far. I had a great month 10, better than 9, and 13 better than 12. The 2 year mark saw me agitated and frustrated over how much everyone would celebrate me (or not - ummm, hi ego!) and this last 10 days have been some of the best I've had and will remain a special mark in my memory.

Some of this up and down coincides with stuff like a serious back injury just about a year ago, and dealing with the process of healing. Other periods were the fall months and thru Dec, just passed, with a LOT of family stress and drama revolving around my step kids.

I'd look at the eating and possibly see a dr if your mood continues to trouble you...my psych and meds, diet, ability to do yoga now even if vids at home from my studio owner...spending time alone and also with people I love and enjoy....so many things support my best life, and accepting the ebbs and flows.

So glad you are here!!
August, thank you so much💖💖. You have given me so much insight on this forum, like my own little beautiful angel!! I feel pretty good today, actually stayed up late watching a movie and woke up refreshed before my alarm even went off. I think we all just expect instant results, and even though it feels like my last drink was a lifetime ago, it really was just like yesterday in a way. It’s a weird sensation, and 9 months is still so early, and I’m hanging onto this sobriety of mine with all I have!! Thank you for your encouraging words xoxo
Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Am,

I get down and low energy as well. It was worse for the first year or so.

Yesterday, I woke up at 3 am after falling asleep, off and on, at 7 PM. I work odd hours and it totally messes w me.

My energy level felt very low. But, I had coffee, tea, and ate a healthy meal of pork and fresh spinach gorditas.

Then I did some honey dos and I layed back down. I was feeling a bit blue. It was a snowy. I always try to count my blessings and thank God for all of them, including being a non drinker.

I took some creatine and I hit the gym. I started out feeling cold and energy less.

Then, boom, the creatine and spinach kicked in. I was a work out machine. Next thing the endorphins kick in and I am having a great day. Jamming to my music and getting swole.

The deal was that my body was good to go, my mind was telling me no. Because I don't drink, I seem to always have way more energy than my mind leads me to believe.

Thanks.
Wow, this rings so true!! I love how you worded this❤️ I am thinking of joining a gym with my next paycheck in 2 weeks. I haven’t worked out in years lol. I think it would be great for the body and mind!! Even walking in the evenings would be a good start!!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stop being such a dork, always thinking there's something seriously wrong with you. I get fatigued/tired easily too....which is odd because I get 8-9 hours of solid sleep every night! Almost nodded off driving to work today...I blame the rain. I look forward to my weekly Saturday hike tomorrow morning. After hating my life for about 5-6 miles, I feel so energized for days after!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ambymarie, congrats on your sober time. That is a long time! Some do still have the up and down symptoms you describe at this stage. So it could be that. I also think that when we were actively drinking, we numbed all of our symptoms, physically and emotionally. We werent paying attention to what our bodies may have been telling us. When we sober up, all of these senses come fully alive and we have full awareness. It is an unfamiliar and uncomfortable feeling at first.

I have anxiety as well. Some of my anxiety comes from health issues. I am generally very healthy, but any little sensation can freak me out and cause me to worry. I have to talk to myself to remind myself that it’s probably nothing. But if objectively so,etching seems off and it persists, I will see my doctor. When I do that, I often find out there is something wrong, and while I needed a short antibiotic, there was nothing serious.

Life is full of ups and downs, and as we age, we will see more things pop up. I am so glad I am alert to what my body may be trying to tell me so I can get things checked out as needed.

With depression and anxiety, there is a lot you can do to improve your mood with proper balanced diet, wellness, like yoga, meditation and exercise. The diet and exercise become increasingly important as we age. I’m in my fifties, and I could never go back to eating processed sugar and high carb stuff without really feeling some bad effects.

Keep going strong. You are doing great!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Accept that we all have good or bad days. One day you wake up and feel miserable, tired, a bit sick, whatever. I think we just need to accept this is what life is like. I find that if I'm having a bad day, after a good nights sleep I often wake up in a better mood and feeling much better.

We are so used to changing how we feel instantly with alcohol, that we now have to relearn and accept that we will sometimes feel less than perfect, and that is just a normal part of living.

Easier said than done I know.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I recall feeling like this during my sixth month of sobriety.