Notices

First Post 167 days Sober

Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post 167 days Sober

I’ve made it 167 days. I decided to get sober when I had my first panic attack while giving plasma hungover. I had been drinking a lot since college when I was 18 and stopped when I was 35. I would get blackout drunk regularly. I’ve always been in good physical health and would drink a ton get up and run 7 miles then work 8 hours and coach my kids sports. My health was always perfect according to the labs and I was fearless and successful career wise and family wise. During the Panic Attack which lasted an hour or so I watched my blood pressure go up a lot and it scared me like crazy. I thought I was having a heart attack. I quit cold turkey that day. It was almost like my body and nervous system went crazy. All of a sudden I was afraid of everything getting in my car etc.. But I’ve pushed through and I’m getting less fearful of things. I’ve worked and coached 2 of my kids b-ball teams through this and sat of a board as an elected official. But it hasn’t been easy. It’s been the hardest thing ever. I push my self and say that even with the crazy thoughts in my mind and with my body not feeling normal all of the time I will push through and make it back to feeling normal. I have anxiety about having a sudden health issue since I quit. I spoke with a counselor who said that it will just pass and I will be fine. I still work out a lot and have always been At a good weight. Some days are getting pretty easy but then it’ll hit me and I’ll get super nervous at a meeting or kids game etc.. I’ve just never had anxiety and the fear that I do now at times. Not drinking is something that I don’t even think about because of how weird this whole thing has made me and my body feel. It’s like 2 steps forward and 1 step back and it’s such a long process.. I loved being fearless and never afraid of Anything. I know that stress isn’t good for recovery but I can’t put my life on hold either and I went to the doctor and they charged me 300 bucks and basically said it will pass.. so sorry for the long post but I need support and I hope this will help. thank you all! I am on no medications. It just shouldn’t be a hard thing to go to events or doctors or anything like that.. I’ve worked on meditation and breathing and do exercise.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery! If you do a site search, there's a lot of info on anxiety by people that have shared your experiences and have gotten better. Hope that helps!
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You're right it shouldn't be so hard to go to events without fearing, or having, a panic attack.
I had them constantly except when I drank. That was the only thing that calmed them-being drunk.
I quit drinking ten years ago, but the anxiety attacks continued and were, at times, debilitating.

I decided to see a psychiatrist because I knew this was not normal.
Turns out I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Yes, it wasn't just in my head, I have a mental illness.
I was prescribed an anti-anxiety medication and have not had an anxiety attack in years since I started taking it.

I would advise you see a psychiatrist. They are the, mostly, only doctors who understand this disorder.
It's not you and all in your head. It's a very real problem that kept me drinking to stave them off for years. Once I got the help I needed, I now live an anxiety free life.
Believe me, I know and understand the terror of having, and fear of having, an anxiety attack. And it wasn't drinking that caused it, besides the days after a binge, I drank to mask the symptoms
It is an illness like any other.
Please check into it. You do not have to live like this.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober milestone! You’ve gotten through the most difficult part. Stay strong. It gets better

As far as the anxiety, I completely agree with everything ghostlight said. I have anxiety also. I have been lucky in that I’ve been able to find natural supplements that lesson my anxiety. I take 5 htp and other supplements that a naturopath recommended. I am not giving any medical advice. But it is worth checking into. There are also so many prescription medications that work well for so many people. Anxiety is so much more common nowadays

I also practice regular yoga, meditation and exercise, which keep me more mentally balanced and less anxious.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Badger2984

Finding and using support was really a game changer for me - I suspect you'll find the same

congrats on 167 days

D