Notices

Exercise

Old 02-20-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise

Posting here so that I can have for “the record “ that for me exercising is the key to my recovery & maybe this’ll resonate with someone else.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can totally relate with this one! Exercise is so good for body and soul and have helped me a lot in the past when the AV was talking to me. I always feel good after a hard workout.

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Iff I falter hello me get my *** to the gym!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you! Exercising makes me feel wonderful. Let's keep each other accountable
Old 02-20-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely essential.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's critical. I am pretty sure the reason I have found it relatively straight forward to quit drinking and stay quit, is because I adopted a complete lifestyle change.

I was a total couch potato, used to spend all day drinking in front of the TV or internet. When I realised I needed to quit drinking, I joined a local gym. I've been going three or four times a week for 10 months now and I strongly feel that if I was to stop exercising, I would be inviting the possibility of going back to my old drinking ways again. Being lethargic, lazy, unfit just leads back to a drinking lifestyle, I'm sure of it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Critical to me, as well. In fact, all my previous times quitting were part of extensive diet and excercize programs.

HOWEVER I must throw out a warning.

I slipped a disc in my back. I was wrecked, stuck in bed (and I’m relatively healthy, otherwise). It’s a lot better now — still get sore. Had to get a shot, steroids, tests, the whole deal. Not fun.

My temporary sobriety went out the window. Dumb, like alcohol will help (it won’t).

Make sure you have tools other than excercize and a plan for if you can’t hit the gym anymore for an extended period!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiking has been a weekend staple for me. It's like exercise + nature therapy + alone with my thoughts + far away from alcohol. It brings me a great deal of joy and peace, along with a sense of accomplishment and adventure.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good point Evoo, I can relate to this. I herniated a disc and had back surgery 2 weeks ago.

I was lucky — In my case, I was encouraged to walk, so I did. The pinched nerve made this terribly painful, but after about an hour of walking, I was able to move with less pain.

I don’t know how I would have handled being bed-ridden. I depend so much on walking to keep me sane. We definitely need other tools in the sobriety toolbox!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tailai, we have a community thread if you're interested in joining.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...2019-a-11.html
Old 02-20-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

a gym membership was the springboard to sobriety, but we need more tools (in my opinion) than just the gym. Mentally prepare for as much as possible.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exercise has been an important part of my recovery.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The gym is my medicine, therapy, and church all rolled into one.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Good point Evoo, I can relate to this. I herniated a disc and had back surgery 2 weeks ago.

I was lucky — In my case, I was encouraged to walk, so I did. The pinched nerve made this terribly painful, but after about an hour of walking, I was able to move with less pain.

I don’t know how I would have handled being bed-ridden. I depend so much on walking to keep me sane. We definitely need other tools in the sobriety toolbox!
Yup, that's my only point. I've made the mistake before of putting all my eggs in one sobriety basket. P90x. Crossfit. A lot of high impact HITT training is an incredible replacement for alcohol. Great rush, natural endorphins, etc. -- I highly recommend it.

I've become obsessed with being fit, eating well, etc.

But need a plan for when your body needs a break or you have to slow down for any number of reasons.

This time around I know I need more tools than that to stay sober all the time! . I've already got a plan for my 1-year sober post and I'm not leaving the Groundhog class at SR for anything.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

even mild exercise is great. a 30 minute walk or a few minutes of jumping jacks does wonders for me.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

SO agree with all of the above!

I was very sick when I detoxed and went to rehab. Started walking a bit while there, could barely do it, I had significant walking/gait issues at that time.

Joined a gym about 90 days sober when I started IOP. Got REALLY into it. I weighed 225 at 33+% bodyfat. Basically no muscle and lots of fat. Started hitting the weights and cardio and keto diet and got down to about #165. Kept nearly all of it off, just had my bodyfat measured at 24.4% at #168. On a 90 day plan to lose a pound of fat a week with lots of cardio AND weights to at least keep my lean muscle mass constant, if not slightly raised. If I can do this I'll be down to 15% bodyfat.

This was a huge part of my recovery. It gave me goals and tangible results...the exact opposite of drinking, which gave me fat, weakness and misery. But it was nowhere near the sum total of my recovery. I did inpatient, outpatient, AVRT, 12 Step, medical (dealing with underlying depression and anxiety/bipolar disorder) and psychotherapy.

But gym is my jam, as is hiking.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love exercising. Before alcohol took over my life I was sports mad. I loved running, playing football (soccer), tennis, badminton and going for walks. These days I'm a bit too old to be running around a football field or even a tennis court but I still love going for walks and am a member of the local gym.

I do believe that an exercise regime plays a vital role in recovery. Not only does it help me to mentally feel better but it also helps knock me into some sort of decent shape!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I make it a point to workout,exercise, 7 days a week. It's essential to quicker a recovery.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is important to me too. I run and lift weights when I am not drinking. BUT it is also a danger area for me. As I get fitter and slimmer and the endorphins are making me feel good a) I feel more sociable and b) I feel impervious to the risks of a couple of drinks. It is a very double edged sword indeed, for me at least. But at least these days I know that, which is a start.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I get a little bit concerned when I see someone post that exercise is key to their sobriety.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against exercise. Physical fitness is a big part of my life. Healthy living is a big part of my life. But it didn't get me sober.

Recently I suffered an accident that laid me up for three months. Couldn't walk. NO EXERCISE. If exercise had been my recovery plan, would I've been able to stay sober? Probably not.