Notices

Enrolling in IOP today

Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enrolling in IOP today

I should say applying but I hope to get started on Monday. The program is 4 days a week for 3 hours for 6 weeks. Has cool on line component with fitbit tracking, brain games, and all the videos. Its also from 6pm to 9pm each day - think drinking hours.

I am on day 5. I have sobered and relapsed numerous times since deciding I had a real drinking problem 2-3 years ago. 25 year drinker.

I talked with a couple of friends one and AA for life and the other 7 years sober who just one day quit. Both know me well.

My question was is SR and AA once and week and committing to a sponsor and working hard on steps enough. Both said no. My AA friend (translated father 30+ years AA sober) said unless you are going to do 60 in 60 or better yet 90 in 90 then you need more. He said a jump start is important.
My other buddy says do as much as you can do no matter what. The sooner the better. Makes pretty good practical sense and I can't go through another cycle of chaos and detox.

I just thought I would throw out what advice I got.
Hope everyone is well.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I agree with your friends. One of the best things I ever did was to do IOP. I also needed the jumpstart. I had tried to quit without it many times. The other times, I had not even gone to AA, just tried to do it with sheer willpower. Never lasted more than a few weeks, because I had no tools. This time (over 4 years ago), I went to IOP, went to multiple meetings a week, got a sponsor, worked the steps. I started posting here. I also made myself accountable to others, not just people in recovery. I told everyone who would listen that I had quit drinking, and asked them to support me and call me out if they saw me with a drink. I got more support than I ever thought possible. I'm sure some people judged me, but I didn't care. I was fighting for my life at that point.

But I think the MOST important thing I did differently this time was that I got really honest with myself and others, and I truly surrendered. I admitted out loud that I'm an alcoholic. I admitted I was powerless over alcohol, that I could never again drink safely. That seems to have been the real key for me. In the past, I had always held a tiny kernel of the thought that if I just quit for a while, maybe someday I could drink normally again. I no longer think that. I'm just... done. That mindset has served me well.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are doing 12 hours of IOP a week which is good. On the days you don't have IOP, go to an AA meeting. That gives you an hour a day, everyday, of 'something."

In the wee hours of the night, and other times when you feel the need, log onto this website.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

MLD get out of my head. I so related to your post, although I stopped AA when I did IOP (cognitive based). Did 12 Step between inpatient and outpatient.

The tools I learned in IOP were a fantastic continuation of my journey, and really cemented what had come before...both Step 1 and my own version of AVRT's Big Plan.

Do it all. Keep what sticks. The best program and method to work sobriety is whatever keeps you from lifting that glass to your mouth.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So I have enrolled and I have the initial eval tomorrow. First day is Monday evening. A little nervous but at the same time relieved.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good for you! I was very relieved when I started IOP. I knew I needed help, and tools to help me stay sober. I got that, and more. I got a real education about the physical and mental mechanisms and effects of alcohol and alcoholism. That really helped me - I like facts. And the facts told me that alcohol is poison, and would surely kill me if I kept going.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your friends are giving you good advice.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great step forward fintime

D