Notices

I'm A Bit Worried

Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm A Bit Worried

I'm on Day 6 but I'm real worried about failing.

I did 3 months, 3 years ago and it's like Deja Vu. I find that I have hardly have any cravings and doing this too easy (Pink Cloud?). The closest I came was when my wife was having a wine last night, I thought of a swig, but swiftly pulled back that thought.

I don't feel depressed but I'm angry all the time. Although I been able to contain my anger and not take it out on anyone. I don't know what I'm angry about (maybe losing a 'friend' (Alcohol)).

I've been making sure I eat well, drink lots of water and have 8 hours sleep but today Day 6 (9:00am), I'm dead tired, I could go back to bed.

I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be a bit complacent and fail after all the hard work.

Can anyone tell me what's happening?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At six days, you're barely out of physical withdrawal so you can expect to feel crappy. My emotions were all over the place in early sobriety. But if you stay sober, it gets better.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 6! I think it's normal to feel a bit worried on Day 6. I know I didn't have a lot of confidence at that point. You probably need to get used to your emotions without alcohol in the picture. It will get easier as you move on.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was so weepy the first week or so. It took awhile to normalize. Early days are tough, but 6 days is fantastic!! You’ve went through some of the most difficult times, stick with it!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are solid scientific reasons why you feel angry. I just heard excerpts from this book by a neuroscientist and recovering addict called Never Enough. She explains withdrawal symptoms, including anger. Your body got used to alcohol and became dependent. When we're in the first few days of withdrawal, then our bodies are trying to adjust and re-calibrate. We have to help our bodies make the transition to not drinking versus drinking as the norm.

I'm very early in my sobriety too: it helps me to read about the science of addiction to get through the day.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IT PASSES! YOU CAN'T GET TO THE REALLY, REALLY GOOD PART IF YOU PICK UP A DRINK NOW!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats on six days. but keep in mind, it is VERY early days. as least said, you are still physically detoxing....it's like having the flu and then just starting to get over it. grump is NORMAL. angry is NORMAL. tired is NORMAL.

don't expect miracles. understand it is a process. and you are in for the long haul. keep your eyes on the goal, not so much this moment.

does your wife really understand your struggles? have you talked to her? i am not saying that she needs to change to make you better, but it might be nice to not have alcohol in the home and someone drinking in your face right now.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was angry at everyone and everything including myself and God in early days. Totally normal.

Just keep going. I slept whenever I got the chance. I truly believe I was in recovery from a life-threatening illness and I was kind to myself.

A good meal and a hot shower is an amazing cure for whatever ails me.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's easy...it's called acute withdrawl. For the first ten days I had to prevent myself from drop kicking anyone who smiled and said hello
Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, feeling angry and worried about relapse is pretty normal the first week - I was barely out of bed on day 6.

If you're worried you're not doing enough, wrote down all you're doing for your recovery. If it looks a bit threadbare think about what you could add to it

D
Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi! I had physical withdrawals for about 10 days. But I still had some ongoing problems as a result of several years of heavy alcohol abuse. I had alcoholic neuropathy in my limbs that finally went away after a few months. It took me several more months to balance out emotionally.

I promise it will keep getting better! Don’t look back and keep going one day at a time.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
does your wife really understand your struggles? have you talked to her? i am not saying that she needs to change to make you better, but it might be nice to not have alcohol in the home and someone drinking in your face right now.
Thanks Anvil. She be happy not to drink or keep alcohol in the house if I asked her but I'm surrounded by alcohol when getting together with friends and family. I need to keep control and focused when alcohol is around me.

Thanks to everyone else.
Greatly appreciate your advise.
Rang a friend (heavy drinker) to see how he was going. He's having lots of tests for shortness of breath and low blood sugar. Still drinking heavily. Just talking to him over the phone was a trigger. WOW!
Got through today AOK.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic job making it to one week, James!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Agree fully with everyone above....do you have a plan for staying sober this time?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post

I'm real worried about failing.

I find that I have hardly have any cravings and doing this too easy (Pink Cloud?).

I'm angry all the time.
I don't relate to this very well. I don't remember worrying about failing, as the largest component of my pink cloud was a mega dose of confidence. I don't remember being unusually angry.

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
I'm a bit worried that I'm going to be a bit complacent and fail after all the hard work.
Complacence often comes when cravings subside, you are starting to feel normal, and the idea crosses you mind that since you are now normal, you can now drink normally. I didn't have this until about 6 months in when it caught me by surprise, even though I had heard it happens. I felt a bolt of fear that I could even be that dumb to have such a thought. But I recognized this as a major risk point right away.

I think controlled worry is not a bad thing. You know there are traps ahead, and you know there is risk that you could fall in them. Familiarize yourself with the different traps and try to replace worry with vigilance.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking back to my day 6...I was still always sweating...like all the time. It was gross. I was very tired all the time, but was still forcing myself to work out. I remember after my workouts I would feel like vomiting but was still tempted to go to the liquor store. Just take it 1 day at a time, as cliche as it sounds. You know the drill, push through!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was angry in early days, too, and could not put my finger on why. It was such a swirl of emotions. I was mad at myself for so many things I had done, and mad at alcohol for making me do them. I was mad that I had this disease. I just wanted to be normal. I was also immeasurably sad. I cried so much. I was scared, too. What was life going to be like sober? Would I ever be able to socialize again? Would people ever forgive me? But then also at the same time, I'd have these moments of pure joy. I would feel so hopeful and free. Then it would all change and I'd be raging or crying again.

My point is - emotions are all over the place in early days. Just give it time. It will all settle down in a while.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't pay any attention to this being day 6.

Just focus on not drinking today and make sure you go to bed sober tonight.

Tomorrow when you get up, just focus on staying sober for the day and going to bed sober.

That's all you need to do, day after day. A program like AA and hanging out on this website a lot will help you get through the days.

As far as anger goes, one good method is to exercise it out of your system. It's hard to feel angry when you bench press your weight a couple of dozen times.