Gout: What's next

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gout: What's next

Hi all,

I haven't posted here for 3 years. Mainly due to letting my hands off it as "accept the things I cannot change" and focused on just being a strong mother and making life go along as normally as possible. All the time hoping my partner and the father of our child would come to terms with his alcoholism and want better for himself at some point. That has not happened.

For the past six months he's suffered from repeated gout. We've done research, spoke to doctors and he's had all the information spoon fed to him. He's also spoke to his drinking buddies about it and they advise him otherwise. Of course, believing them is more palatable to what he wants to hear. They've told him that gout is triggered by one specific food (much like an allergy) that makes their gout flare up. Because of this my partner has yelled at me for putting tomatoes on his sandwiches, as if I'm trying to torture him. Then he didn't eat potatoes for 2-3 weeks. Now he's decided it's not tomatoes or potatoes, it must be the red meat. So now we're only eating chicken for the next two to three weeks.

His gout is quite severe. He big toe is inflamed and swollen and so is half of his foot! He can barely walk. He kind of hops along.

From what I've read of gout it makes me wonder "What's next?" and I know the possibilities are endless but I just thought I'd come here and see what happen specifically to other people as their conditions become more and more concerning. What really worries me is the impact it must be having on his kidneys, as they're unable to process all the uric acid...
Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

focused on just being a strong mother and making life go along as normally as possible.

These are great reasons to post often. Learning how to do this each day is a huge, dynamic thing. Alcoholism likes taking center stage. If we want something else to be bigger than alcoholism in our lives, this is a wonderful, safe place to explore that.

What support systems do you have in-person? Friends, family, Al-anon, counseling, etc.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

My husband has had many things he's dealt with through alcoholism. According to one doc, several years ago he was going to be on a bunch of different medications to simply keep him alive. That doctor was wrong. I thought my husband was going to die several times. I was wrong.

Symptoms from alcoholism can get really bad. People also can heal quite amazingly. There's many levels of hurt or healing in between. Our subconscious beliefs are often what we gravitate to, as inner expectations lead the way.

Have you had time away from the trenches? (being in an alcoholic environment) Thanks to Hawkeye for reminding me of this term. Although denial can kill, all we can do is our own "stuff", including stepping out of denial. Stress kills more people than gout.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he doesn’t believe he’s an alcoholic then he should have no problem quitting drinking for at least a month to see if there’s improvement right? Edema comes to mind as a condition alcoholics sometimes suffer.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
If he doesn’t believe he’s an alcoholic then he should have no problem quitting drinking for at least a month to see if there’s improvement right?
He stopped drinking beer for a week and replaced it with brown liquors. He thinks this counted as "it's not the beer" and resumed drinking as normal. :-(
Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Zenial,

I've gone through this, too. Wondering what's coming next with my husband's health, focused on how he was drinking or not drinking, etc.

Although I've had my own experiences with the "replace one type of drink with periods of not drinking or other types of drinking" ----what I now see as all being phases of alcoholism ----- the best stories I've heard that put it in a new perspective have been from AA members in recovery.

Have you been to any AA speaker meetings or events?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know alcoholics that have had bouts with gout for years. Part of the issue is one of the long term consequences of years/decades of alcohol abuse is it starts affecting the cardiovascular and/or circulatory system meaning their bodies can't carry off alot of the crap that accumulates in joints. Throw in the ingredients of what they eat, especially at a bar like salty or seasoned foods, hot dogs, etc things get worse. If they dabble in recreational drugs, steroids, supplements and/or are on legit prescription drugs that's a chemical cocktail mixing contest they'll never win.

One of the treatments for gout are corticoidal steroids which have risk for the internal organs just alcohol does. And even though not body building steroids they can affect moods. I've seen extreme and dangerous mood swings.

One of the best & simplest things is increase water intake until they are urinating almost clear and odorless. Also the extra water might reduce their thirst which could be a good thing.

Damage is done but they can control it if they change.

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
One of the treatments for gout are corticoidal steroids which have risk for the internal organs just alcohol does. And even though not body building steroids they can affect moods. I've seen extreme and dangerous mood swings.

One of the best & simplest things is increase water intake until they are urinating almost clear and odorless. Also the extra water might reduce their thirst which could be a good thing.

Damage is done but they can control it if they change.

Good Luck
I think he's been talking about corticosteroids a few times now. He's not on them yet but i guess you have to do what the doctor says. I was frozen stiff for a second when you mentioned the side effect of mood swings, he has them in abundance already and they don't have room to get any worse.... we'll see.

It's first thing in the morning and I've just figured out he made it home at some point last night because I can hear him snoring on the couch.

You've just revealed my achilles heel to me I CAN'T DO ANY MORE MOOD SWINGS. Not that he's on corticosteroids yet.

I know I'm hooked up on his alcoholism at the moment. I'm foreseeing the eggshells I'm walking on getting thinner and thinner and here I am trying to plan ahead as to how to keep walking on them. I've read, read and read this forum and site and so much of it resonates with me so strongly

To everyone referring to the self care and al-anon. Yes I know that's what I've got to get back to and promptly will. Thank you all for your kind words. Xoxox.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zenial View Post
I think he's been talking about corticosteroids a few times now. He's not on them yet but i guess you have to do what the doctor says. I was frozen stiff for a second when you mentioned the side effect of mood swings, he has them in abundance already and they don't have room to get any worse.... we'll see.

It's first thing in the morning and I've just figured out he made it home at some point last night because I can hear him snoring on the couch.

You've just revealed my achilles heel to me I CAN'T DO ANY MORE MOOD SWINGS. Not that he's on corticosteroids yet.

I know I'm hooked up on his alcoholism at the moment. I'm foreseeing the eggshells I'm walking on getting thinner and thinner and here I am trying to plan ahead as to how to keep walking on them. I've read, read and read this forum and site and so much of it resonates with me so strongly

To everyone referring to the self care and al-anon. Yes I know that's what I've got to get back to and promptly will. Thank you all for your kind words. Xoxox.
He was already a bit short tempered before doing them. The big issue is all the other crap he puts into his body. And he self diagnosises and has doctor friends who prescribe this stuff with a phone call. I've seen him call for a prescription renewal more than once.

Again his issue is all the other crap. First half of the day equals sports, caffeinated and diet drinks which can put him into a state of agitation. Salty foods help raise blood pressure. Second half of the day drinking alcohol. That over lap period before the alcohol really kicks in and begins to calm him is the most volatile. Instead of getting angry or miffed he goes off like a rocket and immediately gets into a 5 minute rant, diatribe what ever you want to call it if he hears something he didn't want to. I just let him go but then he gets mad if he sees no reaction but does eventually calm down if no argument or debate ensued. I haven't found a solution other than let him go. Problem unchallenged it validates his behavior. Sometimes a small accurate counter argument: simply standing up to him works. Sometimes

I'm not running or leaving the house and sad to say haven't found a solution. The alcoholic has not found a bottom yet and think when he does it will involve his temper if not his health.

STAY SAFE
Old 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

It's not "when will ---- find their bottom", although I spun in that unsatisfying circle for a long time.

Simply: "What can I do for my health, joy and recovery in this day?"

An Al-anon meeting is a great start. Which one will work with your schedule?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, yes. This is just one of the many, many ugly side affects of addiction. If he continues, of course it will become worse. Take a look at the side affects of what happens when the liver stops functioning. I don't really believe in finding a "bottom."

Addiction ebbs and flows for many, and many never change it until they die. That is a cold, hard reality. The other cold, hard reality is that leaves you as the care taker if he is not willing to change.

I don't mean to be harsh, just make sure you have your eyes wide open about what a future with him looks like.

I second Alanon or Celebrate Recovery, ideally paired with counseling, for your own well being.

Big hugs!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A recent study shows a link between binge drinking and heart issues.

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Bi...506056961.html

I bring this up because the alcoholic here has heart issues which showed up about 35 years early-no family history at his age or even with severe issue in their senior years. Heart issues cause circulation problems which in turn can lead to gout, swelling , edema etc. Might not be the sole cause but alcohol does not help.

Hopefully doctors are going over this stuff with alcoholic or hard drinking patients.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don’t mean this in a snarky way but “hands off” the alcoholic and his alcoholic issues. Let his drinking buddies guide him and his health issues and go out for a steak on your way to an al-anon meeting.! Glad you came back, hope you stick around.