Notices

Productivity and Wellbeing

Old 02-15-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Productivity and Wellbeing

I've spent the last few weeks feeling absolutely rotten, really depressed, lethargic and unproductive. I'm on medication prescribed by my doctor and I have a weekly counselling session but I've still been feeling pretty bad. I've recently put myself on a waiting list for outpatient treatment and that provided me with a little 'boost' but I've still felt like I've been in a 'funk'.

Last night I sat down and wrote a to-do list in my diary. I deliberately put tons of things on it, ranging from cleaning to paperwork. I haven't managed to do everything on my to-do list today but I've done so much already!!!

I got up and cleaned the house, put the laundry on, paid my taxes and applied for 14 jobs. I feel so much happier in myself and it's solely because of how productive I've been today. I am very very good at procrastinating but the only thing it does is make me depressed. Today has been different.

I'm taking little steps but I feel so good at the moment because I've actually DONE SOMETHING today. I've recently been made unemployed. I've worked solidly for the last fourteen years and it's been feeling odd to not go to the office every morning. Filling the day with other activities seems to be working.

I've also got an NA meeting tomorrow which I'm equally anxious and excited about. Sorry if this has been a bit of a ramble but I just needed to share!!!

Natom
Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That’s awesome! I did my taxes two days ago while home sick. It’s so easy now, online. Still, it felt really productive. This is good stuff you’re doing!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have a lot in common. Feelings of un-productivity, lethargy, and recently being made unemployed are issues that I face as well.

I went to see an addiction counselor yesterday and what she suggested were baby steps. Realistic goals.

It actually sounds like you're being very productive, if you applied for fourteen jobs!!!! All I know is more sober days does lift some of those feelings of not being productive. Many things (like dishes, making payments, and laundry) are easier now. My cognitive functioning is slowly improving as well.

But I'm not going to say that it's easy. It is not. The feeling of more energy has been subtle and gradual.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by listae View Post
We have a lot in common. Feelings of un-productivity, lethargy, and recently being made unemployed are issues that I face as well.

I went to see an addiction counselor yesterday and what she suggested were baby steps. Realistic goals.

It actually sounds like you're being very productive, if you applied for fourteen jobs!!!! All I know is more sober days does lift some of those feelings of not being productive. Many things (like dishes, making payments, and laundry) are easier now. My cognitive functioning is slowly improving as well.

But I'm not going to say that it's easy. It is not. The feeling of more energy has been subtle and gradual.
I find that if I can do something small, or even part of something, then I feel better. I've been discussing self-worth and work with my counsellor recently and there's a lot of stuff going on there. A clean day is the one thing I haven't had in a while and I feel like I'd be a lot more productive if I wasn't using.

I've got an interview on Monday morning and a video interview this weekend and I'm hoping I get one of the jobs. I'll also hopefully be on treatment by the end of this month.

One day at a time, baby steps and all that.

Natom
Old 02-15-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes at the beginning, doing the LITTLEST thing is a HUGE victory.

Baby baby tiny steps at first!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You accomplished a lot today, that is something to defintinitely celebrate! I hope one of those 14 jobs is the right one for you!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I gain a lot from feeling productive, work is a big part of my identity and helps me to stay on track with my moods (most of the time). I went through a long period of unemployment before getting my job, and it pays to be persistent about the job search on a regular basis. Doing those little things helps as well, just to know that you did something. Don't take me for saying that I'm always on the ball with things, sometimes the slow weekends are hard, I do procrastinate on things that I know that I should do. In early sobriety, especially, I like to have things to turn to, keeping my AV at the bottom of the seas.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
You accomplished a lot today, that is something to defintinitely celebrate! I hope one of those 14 jobs is the right one for you!
Thanks Delilah! I got a phone call just before 5pm from a recruiter with one of the companies I applied to. They're a multi-national company in my industry and the location is about ten minutes away from me. I've got a video interview tomorrow and they're conducting face to face interviews next week, so fingers crossed!!!

Onwards and upwards.

Natom
Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great news Natom! More reason to be sober.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by listae View Post
Great news Natom! More reason to be sober.
That's true. I've got a video meeting and NA tomorrow and then a face to face interview on Monday and possibly an AA meeting. I've gotta set up a rule that if I have a job interview I have a meeting.

Natom
Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"I've gotta set up a rule that if I have a job interview I have a meeting. "

Great combo, I'd say. And also shows pro-active thinking!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
"I've gotta set up a rule that if I have a job interview I have a meeting. "

Great combo, I'd say. And also shows pro-active thinking!

The real combo would be not having a combo at all and just going to meetings regardless lol. But it's a start for me and if I can manage to go to say 3 meetings a week to start with then I'll be happy.

Natom
Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well it's Day 48 for me now.

I've been out of work recently and have set myself the task of getting my software engineering skills back up to date. I'm studying for around five or six hours per day and am starting to feel useful again. Being productive has been a huge reinforcement in maintaining my sobriety.

My alcohol counsellor says that the key is achieving the right balance so I'm keeping up with the cooking, swimming, walking etc. all as part of my recovery plan. So far so good... job applications soon to follow...
Old 02-22-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Quick Update: I've got a new job!!!!!

I've not been in work since the beginning of November but I was technically still employed until the beginning of January. I start work again at the beginning of March and to say I'm excited is an understatement. In the last fourteen years, this is the longest period of time I've been without a job (four months) and I'm grateful I managed to boost my productivity to a point where I could apply for the job and then follow through with the long recruitment process without skipping a beat. I even managed to stay calm and composed during the final interview.

Just grateful for this today. Time to get myself sorted out in every which way.

Natom
Old 02-22-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats Natom
Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Tom

D
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

excellent news 😀