Notices

Completely new to all this...

Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Completely new to all this...

Hello.
This is Day One.
Day One of my new, sober life, hopefully. Day One of finally admitting the magnitude of the problem - out loud, not just in the bathroom mirror - and trying to get some help, certainly.
I'm 40 years old and I've been drinking regularly, excessively, since I was 18. Since my first night away at university, in fact, and my first drink. I distinctly remember thinking "This is great! Why doesn't everyone do this all the time?" Of course, I found out the next morning *exactly* why. But to cut a long story short, it didn't stop me from doing the exact same thing the night after....
I haven't had a drink today, meaning that I'm absolutely flattened with guilt and shame about the stupid stuff I did yesterday (just low-level stupid this time, fortunately), which is exactly the feeling that will make me "need" a drink tomorrow.
But I've decided that this time must be different and it will be different. The cycle of drink>stupid stuff>guilt and shame>drink has absolutely no value for me any more. I seriously, seriously intend to break it.
Will you help me?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. And yes, you'll find help and support here, it's a great place for that.
I took my first drink at fourteen and got sick as a dog, but loved it.
I would drink for another thirty five years all alcoholicly.
It took the grace of God, AA and this place to save me.

I now have ten years sober.
I know exactly what you're talking about in your drinking. I did it, too.
To make this time different, you may have to do something different.
Coming here is a great start and by admitting you have a problem, so good for you.
Have you considered AA or another recovery program? Sometimes face to face programs offer a chance of people like us to try and solve our problems with drink successfully.
Best to you. I can sense your sincerity in wanting to quit, and you've already taken the first step.
Remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
Hello.
This is Day One.
Day One of my new, sober life, hopefully. Day One of finally admitting the magnitude of the problem - out loud, not just in the bathroom mirror - and trying to get some help, certainly.
I'm 40 years old and I've been drinking regularly, excessively, since I was 18. Since my first night away at university, in fact, and my first drink. I distinctly remember thinking "This is great! Why doesn't everyone do this all the time?" Of course, I found out the next morning *exactly* why. But to cut a long story short, it didn't stop me from doing the exact same thing the night after....
I haven't had a drink today, meaning that I'm absolutely flattened with guilt and shame about the stupid stuff I did yesterday (just low-level stupid this time, fortunately), which is exactly the feeling that will make me "need" a drink tomorrow.
But I've decided that this time must be different and it will be different. The cycle of drink>stupid stuff>guilt and shame>drink has absolutely no value for me any more. I seriously, seriously intend to break it.
Will you help me?
Hey Bartleby, thanks for your post and welcome to the forums!

These forums are really helpful for anyone seeking or in recovery. There are loads of different types of treatment/programs/methods that people on these forums have used to get clean and/or sober. Have a look around and you'll find loads of advice and experience.

Best of luck on your journey, the most important part is that you've started it.

Natom
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely, we are here to offer help and support.

I'm glad you've joined.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Bartelby
you'll find a lot of help and support here.

D
Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Hello and welcome. And yes, you'll find help and support here, it's a great place for that.
I took my first drink at fourteen and got sick as a dog, but loved it.
I would drink for another thirty five years all alcoholicly.
It took the grace of God, AA and this place to save me.

I now have ten years sober.
I know exactly what you're talking about in your drinking. I did it, too.
To make this time different, you may have to do something different.
Coming here is a great start and by admitting you have a problem, so good for you.
Have you considered AA or another recovery program? Sometimes face to face programs offer a chance of people like us to try and solve our problems with drink successfully.
Best to you. I can sense your sincerity in wanting to quit, and you've already taken the first step.
Remember, you never have to drink again.
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and encouraging words.
Yes, I do intend to go to meetings. I've got hold of a list of ones in my local area and cleared some time to go. The thought of it makes me feel hide-under-the-duvet-for-hours nervous, but that's probably a good thing since real change is supposed to be scary and unsettling. And I'm going to have massively elevated anxiety levels this weekend whatever happens. My intention is that this time it'll be because I'm doing something new and different, not because I have the inevitable (but actually, as you say, completely and utterly "evitable"!) beer fears, hanxiety, or whatever's the current cute nickname for the horror of a brain awash in the wrong chemicals.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and encouraging words.
Yes, I do intend to go to meetings. I've got hold of a list of ones in my local area and cleared some time to go. The thought of it makes me feel hide-under-the-duvet-for-hours nervous, but that's probably a good thing since real change is supposed to be scary and unsettling. And I'm going to have massively elevated anxiety levels this weekend whatever happens. My intention is that this time it'll be because I'm doing something new and different, not because I have the inevitable (but actually, as you say, completely and utterly "evitable"!) beer fears, hanxiety, or whatever's the current cute nickname for the horror of a brain awash in the wrong chemicals.
I remember being really nervous before my first meeting and that feeling was totally natural. I'd recommend going to a couple of different meetings because whilst the program is the same individual meetings can have different topics, formats etc.

Good luck Bartleby!!!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bart,

When I thought I was a good boy long enough, or I could manage drinking from now on, or my boss picked me off, or.....insert....

That is when the hell begins. The suffering.

The only way out is through the hell.

Otherwise, I just went deeper in the hellish hole.

That is why many cant make it out.

It is a lack of education. I/we all have been permanently altered, brain damage, for the rest of our lives. We will crave.

Exercise and sweets got me out or the deep water.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're very welcome. See, isn't nice to connect with people who understand?
That's how it will be at the meeting. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.
I just listened for about the first two months!
I was scared to go, too. I circled the building a few times, like, four different times, before getting up the nerve to go in.

I'm so glad I did go in. I met a bunch of people just like me, even though we were all from different walks of life.
We had a common problem and the group dynamic of that is powerful.
Coming here and AA saved me from, as you say, the brain awash with chemicals. Our bodies are, too. It's a whole body disease and it doesn't discriminate.
I'm so glad you're here. Please stick around.
And remember, nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am only 13 days sober. I didn't sleep for the first week and I was an anxious mess. Barely left my apartment. It was hell but I am through to the other side and sleeping normally, an anxiety much better. Just gotta say "F*ck it" and go for it.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Spend a few sober hours reading on this website this weekend. It will be a good start on your sober journey.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Bartleby. You sound disgusted, & ready for a new way of life. I felt that way too when I found SR. The encouragement & friendship here helped me get free. You can do this.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What can I say? I know how you feel. Welcome to the board!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Bartleby, SR is a safe and welcoming place to learn and heal.
Checkout the Newcomer's area for the different threads you may like to join.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fresh meat. Congrats on making the life changing decision to say no more.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
You're very welcome. See, isn't nice to connect with people who understand?
That's how it will be at the meeting. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.
I just listened for about the first two months!
I was scared to go, too. I circled the building a few times, like, four different times, before getting up the nerve to go in.

I'm so glad I did go in. I met a bunch of people just like me, even though we were all from different walks of life.
We had a common problem and the group dynamic of that is powerful.
Coming here and AA saved me from, as you say, the brain awash with chemicals. Our bodies are, too. It's a whole body disease and it doesn't discriminate.
I'm so glad you're here. Please stick around.
And remember, nothing changes if nothing changes.
All of this!!!

Glad you are here, Bartleby. Please stay on with us and get to know folks - you might want to check out the Class of February 2019 thread under Newcomers- my Feb class 2016 was a huge support and we still touch base on that specific thread as we have kept going.

And, I quit at 39 1/2 so I know a lot of where you sound like you are - my 40s are the best part of my life so far, thanks to having 3 yr sober next wk.
They can be yours, too!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Bart,

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here. I found SR on my Day 1 and was overwhelmed by the support I received from these understanding and knowledgeable people. I haven’t had a drink since the day I joined, 5 1/2 years ago.

It can be done. And you can do it.

Good luck and welcome to the SR family.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bartleby!! This is such an amazing site, and it is the biggest part of my recovery plan. I have 3 years and 1.5 months sober. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself.

You should join the February of 2019 class, all you need to do is post in the thread to join. You'll be surrounded by others who have also committed or recommitted to sobriety this month. It really helps to have people in the same spot as you.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!