Notices

Smashed

Old 02-14-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smashed

As part of my extremely early recovery, I have recently watched many movies on alcoholism and recovery. And I just finished smashed, and I was wondering if anyone had seen it yet. It is very amazing and truthful and I could relate to a lot of things. Along with the fact that it has really good acting and is very heartwarming.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SIB

Everything must go, flight and crazy heart are really good too.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm more of a Leaving Las Vegas guy.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also love 28 days, and Flight.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by G00SEM00SE View Post
As part of my extremely early recovery, I have recently watched many movies on alcoholism and recovery. And I just finished smashed, and I was wondering if anyone had seen it yet. It is very amazing and truthful and I could relate to a lot of things. Along with the fact that it has really good acting and is very heartwarming.

I've not seen smashed but I'll put it on the list. I've seen the following films and thought they were good;
  • Flight
  • 28 Days
  • Clean and Sober
  • Drunks

There's also a load of documentaries on youtube about addiction and alcoholism that are really good, here are three I thought were very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PFRIGx69bw - Cold Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsKWhcBDVHY - Ben: Diary Of A Heroin Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvyDHhGLs0 - Black Tar Heroin: The End Of The Street

I've also found that there's a lot of episodes of the show 'Intervention' which I often have on in the background. I find the parts leading up to the actual intervention very interesting. There's certainly no shortage of material out there, it's just finding the stuff worth watching.

Natom
Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thread title scared me...
Old 02-14-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

There is a very good British film/documentary from 2006 called Rain in my Heart. It is VERY poignant though.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Thread title scared me...
Shoot I see that now! No I’m not smashed! 😊
Old 02-14-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When a Man Loves a Woman has to be at least 20 years old now, but stands the test of time. Meg Ryan is great as an overwhelmed alcoholic mom and wife to a well-intentioned, protective Antonio Banderas. I wonder how many other women can relate to the wife character's plea that hubby just listen, but not necessarily always try to fix things?
(There are far worse problems, I know, and I'm grateful for what/who I have - but I can relate.)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runswithspoons View Post
When a Man Loves a Woman has to be at least 20 years old now, but stands the test of time. Meg Ryan is great as an overwhelmed alcoholic mom and wife to a well-intentioned, protective Antonio Banderas. I wonder how many other women can relate to the wife character's plea that hubby just listen, but not necessarily always try to fix things?
(There are far worse problems, I know, and I'm grateful for what/who I have - but I can relate.)
I will check this one out!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whoops - on the above, I meant Andy Garcia, not Antonio Banderas. Kind of reminded of the Heineken commercial with Benicio Del Toro...where everyone who sees him points and is wowed.... until he overheard someone saying, "It's Antonio Banderas!"
[Sorry for the digression.]
Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Days of Wine and Roses is my favorite. It's a black and white movie.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runswithspoons View Post
Is it Andy Garcia?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'm more of a Leaving Las Vegas guy.
I’m 28 from the Midwest w/ no prostitution on my bucket list, however, this was one of my personal fav’s to drink an watch. It’s not a trigger or anything. Just sadly relatable. My previous bender before self detoxing for the 10th time of the year included this movie on my isolation tour. Continuous repeated plays of “drinkin again” by Corey Smith. I was a raginggg 😜🤙

It’s been a good time since July
Old 02-14-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Watching When a Man Loves a Woman and oh gosh! I’m crying like a baby!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's scary how sometimes I think I'm still NOT an alcoholic, yet I have literally seen ALL of these films! Smashed is my favourite, Crazy Heart and Drunks are close seconds, Days of Wine and Roses third for an old classic. I'm sorry but I think When a Man Loves a Woman and 28 Days are a bit too tame for me, and though I love Leaving Las Vegas and also Trees Lounge, and also - come to think of it - Barfly, they all totally glamorize our condition. F'n great films though. Peace x
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation and thread GooseMoose. I took a break from working late (Valentine's Day gift to myself) and watched Smashed.

It was revealing to say the least, although the ending took me a bit by surprise. You know, one always wants the "happily ever after" story.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

chiming in with the fact that I was fascinatingly horrified by When a Man Loves a Woman when I first saw it....because Meg Ryan was so much my mom. Except the horrible shower door crashing scene.

I found 28 days irritating.

I got the reco from someone here and it is a great one IMO - Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot. You learn at the get go that Joaquin Phoenix's character has a near fatal accident, then the story unfolds.

Flight is harrowing and probably a necessary watch.

I still haven't seen the Day of Wines and Roses- thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It is not a movie but, I watch "Intervention" and it has a big impact on me.