Notices

Hallucinations after drinking?

Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hallucinations after drinking?

I've heard about people having hallucinations after drinking as a part of withdrawal symptoms and I'm curious to know what that's like, if you've experienced it. Once after a night of very heavy drinking I saw a few spots of light out of the corner of my eye that weren't there, but that's the closest I ever got I think. So what is real alcohol induced hallucination like?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I experienced auditory hallucinations. It was insane. I felt like I was composing a symphony in my mind.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its been a long time but I've heard what sounds like low muffled music coming through the wall from the room next door, when there's nobody or music there (this same thing is described in the AA big book).

Visually I remember once lying in bed in the spare room of my parents' house looking up at the ceiling in the near dark and thinking there were curse worlds written into the pattern of the paint in the ceiling. I was certain they were there and planned to ask my parents about it when i got up, but the next morning with the bright light there was nothing there - just normal paint.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been there and hallucinations aren't something you want to deal with. I've seen stuff most people, even drunks, wouldn't seem possible. You would be smart to quit drinking before you get to this point. It's definitely not fun. John
Old 02-10-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I experienced severe auditory hallucinations on a few occasions of people I loved in the next room saying every bad thing I’ve ever thought about myself. I once was in such a state I was hallucinating a dead relative was talking to me and I’ve hallucinated I was dead before. I’ve heard full entire conversations in my head that have sounded like family members were in the next room and they were so real it was terrifying. Without a doubt the worst and scariest thing I’ve ever gone through. Always seemed to happen when I was withdrawing after a huge binge and lack of sleep..
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never got hallucinations, but crazy vivid dreams.
Im convinced some of Hollywoods greatest films were born from one of these dreams.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBird View Post
I've heard about people having hallucinations after drinking as a part of withdrawal symptoms and I'm curious to know what that's like, if you've experienced it. Once after a night of very heavy drinking I saw a few spots of light out of the corner of my eye that weren't there, but that's the closest I ever got I think. So what is real alcohol induced hallucination like?
I would refer to them as “night terrors.” Ghastly images that remain when you close your eyes and into waking dreams — auditory hallucinations — all combined with physical symtoms, extreme anxiety and paranoia, health anxiety, crawling skin. Inability to focus or to find relief, insomnia.

I wouldn’t wish those kind of withdrawals on anyone.

But they pass. And I hold onto them if only to remember where the path of addiction ultimately leads.

For anyone experiencing symptoms that extreme I very much recommend professional support. I went it alone when I was there and I wish I hadn’t.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had auditory hallucinations when I would try to quit on my own (toward the end), but it was not music I heard.

It was hearing the false voices of imagined people outside my window.

Picture SoberCAH running around in the middle of the night checking the bushes outside the house - not a reassuring thought.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve definitely had auditory hallucinations. I swore I could hear an entire news program playing but there wasn’t a tv on in the house. Nothing. It’s very strange.