Notices

Hi, first post

Old 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, first post

Thank you for your site! I stumbled upon it while searching about alcohol cravings. I so hope that they do indeed diminish over time....
It seems there are physical cravings, and also emotional thoughts that trigger physical cravings. I have been used to the 3 or 4 day cycle for cravings. But, I was not prepared for during a road trip, after an easy 23 days with virtually no cravings, I suddenly had strong cravings when we turned north to begin the trek home! That discouraged me.
Hope I am not too wimpy. I did give in to those cravings after 23 great days of sobriety.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Cravings do lessen after a while, but you've got to stay sober to get to that point. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You're neither wimpy nor alone. I once gave into a craving at seven months sober. The trigger? I was doing my laundry.
Cunning, baffling and powerful is alcohol.
Now you get a chance to start over. There's not many things in life where we're given another chance.

You made it twenty three days, and that's great.
Try and figure out what triggered your craving. I know that's hard, because sometimes it seems like nothing, or very little, trigger use to cravings then drink.

You'll find a lot of support here, so stick around.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Robin

The first time I did not give into my cravings, they disappeared on their own, and I lived to tell the tale was a revelation to me. I'd never not given in before...

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
D
Old 02-10-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome @RobinPeaceful !

Glad you found SR & hope you can find some things that help you here! Very supportive group of folks, lots of experience & wisdom, and the site itself has some really great articles too.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to have you with us, RobinPeaceful. You are not alone.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The cravings do diminish, but it’s a very gradual process and varies person to person. Long term sobriety is worth the time and effort invested!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful responses

Thank you SR community. Wonderful, caring responses to my post. Thank you so much. I will do the work...
Old 02-17-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was reading a scholar article about neuroplasticity in the human alcoholic yesterday that described the differences in the brains. It is pretty technical but it goes into how long it takes the brain to repair itself and how that compares to cravings. It compared active alcoholics to those in recovery for like 18 days (can't remember specifics) to those in recovery for several years. The ones in recovery for 18 days were basically the same as those that were active. That a very dumbed down version because the article was way over my head.
If you are interested I searched neuroplasticity alcoholism in google and it was the second one. I don't know how to paste - Im new at this.

Basically nothing new that members with significant time have attested to.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. I think it will!

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Cravings do lessen after a while, but you've got to stay sober to get to that point. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Hello and welcome.
You're neither wimpy nor alone. I once gave into a craving at seven months sober. The trigger? I was doing my laundry.
Cunning, baffling and powerful is alcohol.
Now you get a chance to start over. There's not many things in life where we're given another chance.

You made it twenty three days, and that's great.
Try and figure out what triggered your craving. I know that's hard, because sometimes it seems like nothing, or very little, trigger use to cravings then drink.

You'll find a lot of support here, so stick around.
Thank you. My main problem has been at my home, safe and cosy. So, home is my trigger. That is where I need to re-do habits. You folks are already a source of validation, and that means so much to me!! This site is for me, everyday!! Day 3 sober.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome

cravings come and go- like waves. Having a plan (look in the Newcomer forum sticky section) - what to do, when and why is good to do. Also daily support- I visit SR daily, plus using meetings a GP for health etc.

support to you
Old 02-17-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey there.

Careful of the "i will" and "need to." Not trying to get cute with semantics, but, I've found phrases like that in my own language can reveal an intent to procrastinate or deflect.

Just do for awhile. Be.

Like,...I'm not going to drink today, no matter what. How 'bout you?

Keep it that simple for a bit. You'll know when to spread the wings further.

Best-

B
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome RobinPeaceful. How are you feeling today?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi All.

Doing great today!! Something about this site... wonderful caring people. Got through a big craving, told my husband about the list of activities people love to do as an alternative to drinking. Watched some TV with my son - love that. Great day!! Thank you for your caring and specific comments.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome Robin! The wise owls and community have been vital for my recovery. I have learned so much and you will too! One day at a time, don’t live in the future or the past, just live for today and you will get through it.

I cook a lot more now than I used to as it was one thing I did to beat cravings and distract myself. There are lots and lots of great tips on here for getting a good plan together too. You can do this! x
Old 02-18-2019, 01:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep posting!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi folks.

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Keep posting!
Glad to have this wonderful site to visit. I do get confused about posting...
Anyway, after many good sober days and periodic give myself excuses drink days, I am committed to staying sober.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have any questions about posting we're here to help

D