Notices

First party — a little over 30 days sober

Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First party — a little over 30 days sober

Been invited every year, never go because I’m too socially awkward

Best friend got on me, promised I’d go this year (before I got sober)

Going w/hubby who supports my soberiety

Having my daughter stay home with my son—new for us, but she’s old enough and it’s time

So my out at the party is that she’s new to babysitting, blah blah blah—get there on time, say hellos, stay for a bit and kindly excuse ourselves to relieve her of babysitting duties

I pray to God it’s that easy!! Support appreciated.

Last edited by Suzieq17; 02-09-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have to attend work related after hours. I can't get out of them every time. Each time I go I have a plan. Plus before stepping in to the bar I would have spent some good time here at SR, to keep me on my toes to be careful.

You have a supportive husband, stay close to him and have him remind you again and again while at the party.

Best of luck
Old 02-09-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you have a plan to leave early if you need to. I hope that you get through the evening and remain sober.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good escape plan ready. There’s nothing wrong with leaving early and taking care of yourself.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Suzieq,

When's the event?

It's okay to change your mind. Just sayin'!

"No." can be a very useful complete sentence, all on it's own. No debating or justifying needed.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! The plan worked. I am glad that I went. Not everyone was drinking. I found that it was a little easier to talk to people WITHOUT the alcohol. I really want to the quit to be forever—seeing lots of benefits of not drinking. One day at a time.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing how many people really DON’T drink, but your AV wants you to think everyone does. Good job getting thru the party!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you made it Suzie.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
Amazing how many people really DON’T drink, but your AV wants you to think everyone does. Good job getting thru the party!
I actually had to google “AV” to see what you meant — “alcohol voice.”

What an interesting concept, and this makes perfect sense. My “AV” always told me that everyone would judge my non-drinking, or see me differently or as weak.

Fact: most people don’t care. Literally at all. And if they do, it’s likely because they find sobriety threatening and shines an unwelcome light on their own problem drinking.

Congrats on getting through it and having a good time, Suzie!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wonderful Suzieq! Yes, lots of people don't drink. Also, it beats that paranoia of wondering if people can smell alcohol on your breath and wondering if they notice you are getting progressively drunk. I've been in latter situation at parties a million times. In fact, when my drinking really too off and I could no longer pretend to be a causal drinker, I would start arguments with people at parties. Then, I was disinvited to many functions or people just stopped asking me to accompany them. So, not drinking at parties is probably the way to go!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
Thank you everyone! The plan worked. I am glad that I went. Not everyone was drinking. I found that it was a little easier to talk to people WITHOUT the alcohol. I really want to the quit to be forever—seeing lots of benefits of not drinking. One day at a time.