Notices

Lost everything in a flood but want to stay sober

Old 02-06-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost everything in a flood but want to stay sober

I’m back (yet again) for support here. My rental house and the new home we just purchased have been inundated in a massive flood. We had to wade/swim in chest deep water to our neighbours house, which has a second storey, late at night with our cats. We managed to get out by boat when one of our other neighbours returned to his place for supplies the next morning. Yesterday we had to clean up what’s left of our belongings in our rental. I’ll spare the mouldy disgusting details but it’s one of the worst days I’ve had. Almost everything was destroyed, plus we have nowhere to live. No family, no friends in the area we haven’t been here long. I guess the silver lining is we can terminate our contract to buy the flooded home since we haven’t settled/closed yet. But it was going to be our first home and we loved it.

The worst part of the flood for me is seeing everyone so devastated. Don’t get me wrong I’m sad but some people have lost their family homes of 40 years, with so many important sentimental items. I’d love to binge drink away all the sadness and fear and anxiety. I’ll try not to though, try to let it pass.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, my goodness, I'm so sorry hills.

Prayers and good thoughts go out to you and everyone affected.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It must be causing so much upheaval in your life.

I'm glad you are sober to deal with this.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's awful. I'm so sorry to hear it. The important thing is you all and the cats made it out.
It's nothing a drink will make any better. You want a clear head in this time.
Best to you and sending good thoughts your way.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry hills - I've been watching it on the news.

I know it must be devastating for you and your loved ones - but it would be all the more devastating if you drank again.

Don't lose yourself again - you can rebuild your life and go on - make sure you get all the assistance and support you can from whats being offered.

Lean on this community and the other support you have.
You can do this, sober

D
Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this happened to you - what a devastating tragedy.

Our house had a fire when I was 5 months sober. We had tons of damage, and it displaced us for about 9 months (we're just getting ready to move home now). At the time, it was a terrible hassle, an emotional upheaval (especially for our kids). We had just adopted 2 rescue dogs a month earlier, and were living in a hotel about 40 minutes away from the kids' brand new schools, which caused some logistical challenges. Like you, everyone was safe and that was the most important thing, although that can be cold comfort when you're faced with something of this magnitude.

I was actually out of town when it happened, and I remember watching the news reports of my own house burning from a hotel room, frantically trying to book an emergency flight home - and I thought, "I could totally drink over this. I might NEED to drink over this!" It was still early days, and the benefits of sobriety were slow in coming.

The silver lining is that I passed the test, and the months that followed, though stressful, definitely gave me an immediate focus and a daily purpose, just making sure the kids has what we needed, that we had clothes, finding a rental house, etc.

You have an opportunity to move forward, or slip backwards into the abyss - IME, forward is the way to go. We are here to help.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so sorry you are in this situation. Staying sober would be the right thing to do so you can deal with it.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh hills I’m so sorry... we have flooded in the past I know how heartbreaking it is, just know u can do this sober and will be more help to others. Hugs
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hills - I'm so glad you came here to talk about what happened. I will pray for you & your family to recover, & to be able to resume your lives as soon as possible. I'm so terribly sorry you've had this to deal with. Keeping a clear head will be important so you can take the necessary action. I know you'll stay strong and sober.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

huge respect for you, you took your cats with you. I am so sorry for what happened to you but really admired you our pets are family. please don't drink,
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is so horrible. I am glad you and your family and animals are safe. Wish we lived closer to be able to help you. Thinking of you ((()))
Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Time to flex your sober muscles! I love how the AV says things are a reason / excuse to drink.
There is NEVER a good reason to drink. Why would you do that to yourself?
You need your wits about you more than ever.
Not a hangover and feeling worthless.
Be proud and strong, we are all worth better than that.
Drinking IS NOT an option in a crisis.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ditto what everyone else said. What an awful thing to go through. I can't even imagine.

You KNOW drinking won't help a single thing. I see this as wonderful opportunity for you to flex those sober muscles. Getting through all of this sober will teach you that it really is better to be sober in the face of adversity. Then in the future, you'll have confidence you can get through anything without defaulting to drinking.

I have faced a lot of adversity in my 4+ years sober (nothing as devastating as what you're facing, though). I found out how strong I really am, and it's a great feeling to know that I'm capable of facing bad things and getting through them. You can do it!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that happened Hills, that is very devastating. I'm glad your family (pets included ) were able to make it out. Are there any shelters set up for flood victims to stay out while you find a new place to stay?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Drinking won't help, all of the devastation will still be there, but with the extra of a hangover and everything that comes with to also deal with.

Sobriety is the way forward . . . you can do this!!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you doing today, hills? Just thinking of you.

I hope you are finding some help nearby. More prayers for you and yours.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're on my mind too, hills.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry to read about what happened to you hills. I know you have a lot more important things to deal with right now but I hope you and your family are safe.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

So sorry, but sometimes things happen for a reason......

So happy you are staying stopped!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the thoughts and support. I’m sober but things haven’t improved at all. In fact, they’re getting worse. Our rental was deemed unliveable and we moved out of that into a short term holiday apartment, which is tiny, roach infested and VERY expensive.

We lawfully cancelled the contract to buy the flooded property because it was unfit for occupation. It had about a foot of water, mud, mould, ruined walls, carpets, cabinets and doors. The property also still has no electricity due to electrical damage from the flooding. But naturally the vendor is claiming only minor cosmetic damage...on top of everything else it appears that a lengthy expensive legal battle is brewing. Why not right?

I’m depressed and fully shut down. I’m the subject of everyone’s pity at work, which is unbearable since it was my one safe space. I should probably be happy that I’m sober but I’m not. I’m not sure how I’m going to endure months of this but that’s what’s on the horizon for me.