Notices

Sober music

Old 02-06-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober music

I love music and listen to music most of the day - whether I'm working, driving, running etc.

Since the start of the year, I've realised how much of the music I love is about alcohol - I really like country music, but a lot is about drinking. In rock music and at festivals, drinking is revered. I like Irish muic and the same. Many of my old favourites just tempt me back towards drinking.

I find my spotify playlists and recommendations come up with drinking songs. Maybe when I was a drinker, I was listening to songs that made me feel normal and made me feel like poisoning my body was something everyone did.

I am quite spiritual and have some playlists with songs that are inspirational, positive, spiritual, relaxing. Anyone got any more recommendations ?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd😉
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well there was a scene/movement in the 80’s called straight edge music.
Punks who didn’t drink or drug.
Think it was quite hardcore.
Not listened to any of it yet but might give it a whirl.
Minor threat were the pioneers I think
Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry probably not spiritual or relaxing. Missed that bit
Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post
I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd😉
Love pink Floyd 🙌
Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I don't think that "drinking is revered" in rock music, and except for country festivals, drinking isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

To me music is "spiritual" is that which puts you in a certain place, it's different for different people.

To me, what you are describing is a lot of electronic music. Early Jean Michele Jarre, Tangerine Dream type stuff. Some EDM. Mostly instrumental. In recovery I listened to a lot of classical music. I don't think there is any music ever created that's more spiritual, inspirational and positive than Beethoven's Ninth or the late string quartets.

I also find that a lot of who I call my "witchy women" fit this category. Tori Amos, particularly her first live album To Venus and Back. DEFINITELY Kate Bush, particularly Hounds of Love, The Dreaming (warning, very bizarre at first) and especially The Sensual World. Joni Mitchell's Court & Spark and Hejira. These women cut through a lot of bull and go straight for a place that's very honest, pure and spiritual.

If I had to pick one record that fits your criteria, it would absolutely have to be Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. It basically invented the entire post-rock genre, and seemingly came out of nowhere. Tons of dynamic range, it's far more like going to a very intensely spiritual place than headbanging at a metal show. I also recently read that Mark Hollis had just gone through beating his heroin addiction and becoming a father, and that's very much what this record is about. Listen in the dark by yourself on headphones...warning, the first minute or so is almost inaudibly soft. It's a Top 5 Desert Island Disc for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mindfulman View Post
i don't think that "drinking is revered" in rock music, and except for country festivals, drinking isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

To me music is "spiritual" is that which puts you in a certain place, it's different for different people.

To me, what you are describing is a lot of electronic music. Early jean michele jarre, tangerine dream type stuff. Some edm. Mostly instrumental. In recovery i listened to a lot of classical music. I don't think there is any music ever created that's more spiritual, inspirational and positive than beethoven's ninth or the late string quartets.

I also find that a lot of who i call my "witchy women" fit this category. Tori amos, particularly her first live album to venus and back. Definitely kate bush, particularly hounds of love, the dreaming (warning, very bizarre at first) and especially the sensual world. Joni mitchell's court & spark and hejira. These women cut through a lot of bull and go straight for a place that's very honest, pure and spiritual.

If i had to pick one record that fits your criteria, it would absolutely have to be talk talk's spirit of eden. It basically invented the entire post-rock genre, and seemingly came out of nowhere. Tons of dynamic range, it's far more like going to a very intensely spiritual place than headbanging at a metal show. I also recently read that mark hollis had just gone through beating his heroin addiction and becoming a father, and that's very much what this record is about. Listen in the dark by yourself on headphones...warning, the first minute or so is almost inaudibly soft. It's a top 5 desert island disc for me.
🙌🙌🙌🙌
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kate bush, saw her at Hammersmith
Was an ethereal moment in my life.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure if any of this is to your taste or not:

Enya: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...86B75E9FDB6144

Carlos Nakai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1zw9KGmDo

Dean Evenson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3AdJKkhDsE

Steven Halpern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbT...oSZivy_Kk6TZTs

Deva Premal: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zZPCPWxKeZtWp3
Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great topic, andy1.

My favorite genre of music has been outlaw country music.

But I have also loved Jimmy Buffett since he came out with Come Monday about 45 years ago.

These were what were typically playing in my car stereo when I drove myself to treatment.

Neither of which are remotely recovery-oriented types of music.

As a result, I pretty much avoided these artists for a pretty good while.

I have subsequently been able to listen to them for many years now, but not so much at first.

I have found that a good bit of rock music doesn't relate to drinking or drugging, and I listened to that, instead of Jimmy and hard country music.

When I listen to songs about drinking, I always make it a past tense proposition, particularly if I'm singing along in my car.

You are very wise to be willing to go to any lengths, including what music you can listen to, to get and stay sober.

I suggest doing what I did and back off of the types which mention alcohol or trigger drinking thoughts.

After a while though, thoughts of drinking will represent your past and not your present.

These days, I listen to lots of Americana, indy rock, indy country, Texas country, metal, outlaw country, classic rock, classic country, folk, and even Broadway musical show tunes (grew up listening to this kind of music around the house).

I haven't yet gotten into classical music (although I do like opera), and I don't care for pop music or pop country music.

I tell people that I listen to only 1 kind of music and that is good music; but, good music comprises multiple genres.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love music, of all tastes, Rock, Blues, Acoustic, Country, Folk . . .

. . . I always say to people I have on my iPod (yes I have an old nano that is still going) . . . everything from Taylor Swift to Metallica . . . and everything in between.

Here's a few songs . . . from the Rock genre but very atmospheric . . . both have lyrics that are very touching!!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joe Walshs recent stuff is about recovery.

there's more than one recovery rock music radio station on the web too - our rules preclude linking to commercial ventures but Google is your friend there
D
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can't listen to any music right now, music has always been a huge part of life, when I have a few weeks/months/ maybe years I will revisit it, but for now, it's not good for me, which devastates me. 🙏💖
Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I listen to instrumental music and my own thoughts.
Some lyrics are insane and/or irrelavent to who I am.
I prefer a peaceful mind.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love music too. After awhile I got bored of listening to everyone else's songs and listening to the music radio decided to dole out to the millions. So, I started writing my own songs and finding music that is off the beaten path instead of mainstream. It's much more satisfying. If you look hard enough, you can find artists that don't sing about drinkin'.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Joe Walshs recent stuff is about recovery.

there's more than one recovery rock music radio station on the web too - our rules preclude linking to commercial ventures but Google is your friend there
D
My wife and I got to catch an Eagles concert in New Orleans last summer and Joe played this tune.

It was really cool, particularly for those of us in recovery.

I don't know how well it was received by the Mardi Gras beads-adorned drunks, but I sure liked it.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
I love music and listen to music most of the day - whether I'm working, driving, running etc.

Since the start of the year, I've realised how much of the music I love is about alcohol - I really like country music, but a lot is about drinking. In rock music and at festivals, drinking is revered. I like Irish muic and the same. Many of my old favourites just tempt me back towards drinking.

I find my spotify playlists and recommendations come up with drinking songs. Maybe when I was a drinker, I was listening to songs that made me feel normal and made me feel like poisoning my body was something everyone did.

I am quite spiritual and have some playlists with songs that are inspirational, positive, spiritual, relaxing. Anyone got any more recommendations ?
Oh wow -- my favorite music is Irish and Country.

I really like Colter Wall. I can't think of any of his songs that are based in drinking.

Also for Irish music -- try switching to just instrumental folk, violin/guitar -- you can get all the great sound w/o the lyrics that come with "drinking music."

Good luck
Old 02-08-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Indian classical music (ragas) and jazz.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I picked the username NessunDorma after the aria in Puccini’s opera Turandot. It’s a beautiful and uplifting tune (many people probably recognise it without knowing what it is). It’s also very relevant to sobriety, all about things being darkest before dawn. The singer faces life and death challenges the next day and is reflecting on the challenge - ending on the triumphant phrase ‘vincero’ (I will win), for me the most resonant and moving piece of any music. So I want to dedicate it to everyone facing the struggles we have with alcohol as for me it just conveys more than anything else what it it is like to overcome them.

Thanks for the chance to explain what is otherwise an overly obscure reference.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to 'see' you again ND

D