Now he wants to buy a BAR!

Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now he wants to buy a BAR!

Are you kidding me? He wants to buy a local bar in our town, go he halves with his friend. He thinks he can control his drinking and make a lot of money at this! He's never once walked into a bar and had 1 drink and left EVER! He's mad because I won't listen to his ideas and can't believe I don't support this!! It's $200,000! He's been to 2 counseling sessions to work on his drinking, both times he left those appointments he went to the bar. He said he drinks because he's mad at me, I never listen to his ideas...blah blah blah...

I just posted last week that I needed to leave... guess here is another reason...

Jen
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Guard your checkbook and ATM card.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jen, I highly suggest you talk to a lawyer about what you can do to protect yourself from his ridiculous financial decisions. I'd hate to see you being messed up in this fiasco!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My dad did the exact same thing when I was in middle school. It was such a ridiculous idea & no, it didn't go well for any of us. I'm sorry.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jen, I want to second the advice to see what you can do to protect yourself financially in case he decides to do an end-around and buy the bar in spite of your protests. It would really be unfortunate if you were saddled with a bunch of debt that you'd have to struggle for years to pay off...

My X had many grandiose ideas too, and I can only thank my lucky stars that I insisted we pay off all debts FIRST before incurring any new large expenses. If I'd given in, I'd have been stuck with a number of half-finished projects and a tremendous amount of money owed when we split. As it was, we divorced debt-free, and I am so very grateful for that. At least when I started over, it was with my head above water!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh dear, this is a familiar storyline for me. The XA was a bartender, and he was always rambling on about how I NEEDED to purchase the bar he worked at.... well that would become the Fox in the hen house... in the state I reside, a DUI, and other offenses will prohibit you from obtaining a liquor license. Guessing laws vary state to state.

This situation reminds me of an old country song. “Going to hire a wino to decorate our home.” I can see the humor in the song, until you realize , holy hell that song was written about my life.... then not so funny....
Old 02-05-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This just all feels like a nightmare... slowly watching Alcohol destroy our 20 years of marriage!

Jenn
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This must be the alcoholics dream come true (second would be drinking in moderation).

I'm going to guess this venture relies on your approval of some kind of financing (maybe an addition to your mortgage?). I hope so because it's a disaster of an idea, as you already know.

I hope this all works out for you jen.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure he couldn't get the loan without me... I might encourage him to divorce, sell the house, and he can take his half and go and purchase his dream of a bar! Then I can start over with my life!

Jen
Old 02-05-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jen5508 View Post
I'm pretty sure he couldn't get the loan without me... I might encourage him to divorce, sell the house, and he can take his half and go and purchase his dream of a bar! Then I can start over with my life!

Jen
That actually sounds like an excellent plan!

Tell him you fully support his dream and that you have a wonderful way for him to get the money he needs.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jen...….just a heads-up.....so that you can prepare yourself......Since he is blaming his drinking on you, now....that will continue into the future....even if you are smart enough to keep your hands completely off the crazy bar idea....he will blame you if it doesn't become the dream that he wants.....
Yes, do seek good professional financial counsel to protect yourself from his financial decisions...…
Due to his own disease and the denial, he will not be able o protect you or the children...so, it will be up to you.....

Yes, It does feel like a nightmare...I know. Go ahead and grieve the loss of the dream.....as you will need to do this, so that you can heal...eventually. That will be the way you can free yourself from this ongoing nightmare.....
You CAN have a new and different life, but, you will have to be the one to cause it to happen...…
Think of the millions of women, before you who have done so!
We all have more courage than we think...and, only realize it when courage is the only option left......
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my husband has had plenty of crazy ideas in his time. And some not so crazy. I went along with them, neither encouraging nor criticizing, just said yes, go for it. They all fizzled out and we didn't need to get in a fight over it. Just bar talk really, he wasn't able to make any of them actually happen.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

slowly watching Alcohol destroy our 20 years of marriage!

well the alcohol isn't doing it TO you, it's the consumer of the booze!
and just like the disease of alcoholism progresses, so does the destruction it causes. meaning the speed of the destruction is likely to pick up the pace and you'll look back on times like RIGHT NOW and wish you had made better, faster choices to get out of the chaos, while you had the chance.

i would strongly urge you to see a financial advisor and/or a divorce attorney so you know exactly what you are facing, all your options, the potential losses and get a plan in place. NEVER underestimate what the alcoholic partner is capable of...........NEVER.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
my husband has had plenty of crazy ideas in his time. And some not so crazy. I went along with them, neither encouraging nor criticizing, just said yes, go for it. They all fizzled out and we didn't need to get in a fight over it. Just bar talk really, he wasn't able to make any of them actually happen.
You've been lucky so far. This is not always the case.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My ex had the same idea. He saw himself as the proprieter of a bar such as Cheers (TV show in the 80's.) Absolutely ridiculous idea which, thankfully, never came to fruition. I agree with other posters - protect yourself financially (and every other way!!)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I too agree that it's time for a lawyer, especially when potential money loss is concerned. It's important to protect your assets........
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Jen. I've nothing new to add to the excellent advice already given here but my heart hurts for you.
Protect your financial assests and walk away.
Best of luck to you....
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think you should pose the 'divorce/sell' option you mentioned. I'd also 'play' nice/supportive until it was all final..then I'd get on with my life.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about you all day, and what a terrible situation he has put you in. An alcoholic seriously considering buying a bar? That's the loudest quack I've ever heard.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How do I find good attorneys in my area? Does it cost to talk to them?

Jenn