Notices

Hello again!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello again!

Hello everyone,
I havent posted on this site for a few years now. I’ve tried so many times over the years and always failed to remain sober. This time around I’m 52 days sober and although it’s been challenging at times I really believe that I will succeed in giving up the demon drink for good this time. What’s different this time compared to before you may ask? Well for a start I’m totally fed up with the drinking, the hangovers and the effect that it is having on both my physical and mental well-being. I also realise that I can not drink in moderation - for me it’s all or nothing! Every other time I have given up drinking I have then tried to moderate and it just didn’t work. So no more!
Anyway looking forward to reading your posts.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. This is my first (last) time on the site with 36 days done. It's always useful to hear the perspective of someone who tries to moderate and comes back, it keep me from listening to that voice saying "you can handle one".
Old 02-05-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always used to reward myself with a drink if I managed any sober time at all, like yeah you can moderate now that you've been a week sober!
It wasn't until I joined SR and started to read other peoples stories that I realised just how stupid I was being with trying to moderate when I'd already spent 20 years trying that approach and failing.
IME, it is much easier to say no completely than to stop after 1 or 2. I would always go back to increasing the amounts after a period of time.
So much happier now after 18 months sober.