What helps you when you're depressed

Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What helps you when you're depressed

What helps you when you're depressed?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I go for a walk and try to see something beautiful.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sunlight, fresh air, outdoor activities, and most of all fellowship. Nothing lifts me up faster than being around other alcoholics in recovery or anyone struggling with life issues. Service work is a big plus too, doing for others takes me away from self.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have one of those lights that give off the same rays as the sun . I have a real hard time when the time changes and just gets darker and darker all day.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I have the blues I remind myself that it's temporary and I try to do something to distract myself. It's hard to be outside for many during the winter season, or alone inside for that matter, so trying to get in touch with somebody is helpful whether through a phone call, online, or, if you enjoy to read, through some wonderful book's character. Some people are fond of journal writing. Most sad episodes will pass of their own accord.

Persistent feelings of despair, thoughts of harming oneself, major sleep disruption (sleeping all the time or not at all), inability to do normal activities such as caring for oneself, these over a period of time (over two weeks) suggest seeking professional evaluation.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

meetings
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All good advice on this thread.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Going out for a walk. Maybe listening to lovely music as I walk or maybe just enjoying peace and quiet.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm such an oddball. The only thing that helps me is to load up on protein and lift some weights.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walking my dog, or just petting her or my cats.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Planting bulbs and waiting for them to
bloom. Planting different bushes that
bloom in Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.
When one bush or plant finishes for
that season, then im waiting for another
plant or bush to bring me pretty blooms.

Blooms thru out the yr. Something is
blooming.

Flowers that attract butterflies and
other cute bugs.

Having Nectar out for Hummingbirds.
Suet or seeds for different birds to visit
my yard and keep me company as I listen
to each sing a pretty tune.

All nature fills my heart, mind and soul
with lots of joy.

The Sun, Moon, Stars, Wind, Flowers,
Birds, you name it. I love it.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking on the beach always, always helps. In fact, walking outside anywhere helps a lot. Music helps too.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trying to do things to counteract it- taking a walk or some sort of exercise every day (especially outside), eating good foods, controlling spending, talking to support people every day.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Auburnazd

Loving on my cats, excercise used to work but hasn’t lately but definitely can for some people, journaling, these forums. Just getting things off your chest can be so cathartic. I have battled depression for years and it has only gotten worse since I got off weed that I used for 20 years to cover my emotions. So if you ever need to vent, I’m here. We can be vent buddies. Just know you have a place to come to for help and support.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auburnazd View Post
Loving on my cats, excercise used to work but hasn’t lately but definitely can for some people, journaling, these forums. Just getting things off your chest can be so cathartic. I have battled depression for years and it has only gotten worse since I got off weed that I used for 20 years to cover my emotions. So if you ever need to vent, I’m here. We can be vent buddies. Just know you have a place to come to for help and support.
Thanks for your post, Auburnazd.

What do you do when you journal? Do you follow a certain format, or do you just do a brain dump of some kind?

Congrats on getting off of weed! Hopefully things for you will get better after having gotten worse. I was like that at first when early on in recovery I started to feel my feelings. I had to get used to it.

Thank you for your kind offer.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Spending time with others to keep the focus off of myself and my own woes. Walking the dogs. Getting out and doing something. Go to church. Go to the movies. Read a book. Work out. Go to therapy. Pay it forward in some way. Housework (I have found while this is not fun, it does distract me and I like my house to look nice and be clean). Work is a good distraction.

Yesterday I was not feeling that great and went and visited my father at his assisted living. I really, really did not want to go. It's cold and I wanted to go take a nap.

While he is not so great with my visits (he has alzheimers and does not really care if anyone else visits except my mom currently), I love the other people there as well, and spending time with them does definitely lift me up and lifts them up as well. I love those little ladies. Everyone has a story.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If we are talking about clinical depression, that may require a doctor's prescription, but in the case of occasional bouts of melancholy that sometimes are just habitual responses that all of us experience from time to time, do something else.

When bouts of such depression linger, and I find myself on the pity pot, here's one thing I've done that works for me. Rather than fight it or worry about it, I give myself permission to wallow in it for a specified time, maybe 5 minutes 30 minutes, or whatever seems reasonable at the time. Just wallow guilt free until the time is up, and then do something else.

Usually, I'm done with it before the time expires. I just came up with this idea on my own. I have no idea why it works, nor to I care. Try it and see what happens.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DriGuy...you may have come up with that on your own...however, this is also something my therapist told me to do. Good advise.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
DriGuy...you may have come up with that on your own...however, this is also something my therapist told me to do. Good advise.
It's possible that I heard that once, and tucked into my subconscious, but when the thought occurred to me, it seemed original. Whatever! It actually works.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Watch Whose Line is it Anyways on YouTube. It is funny as hell. It always helps me when I feel really down. I know that exercise helps too but that is hard to do when you are bummed out. If you like playing video games, that might help.