Notices

Please help me not to drink at a funeral

Old 01-31-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help me not to drink at a funeral

My sister died last week unexpectedly. I am only 11 days sober and will be 15 days sober the day of the funeral. I have not had a drink despite the terrible week. I do not want to drink at the funeral. I am one of the people on SR who always tell people to say no and avoid events, put sobriety first and say no. However, I cannot NOT go to my sister's funeral.

I plan to have a good breakfast and after the church and crematorium go to where the funeral breakfast is. I will have sparkling water with me and my car outside with a large stash of water. I will drink sparking water from the bar inside and maybe a lemonade as a treat. I will eat upon arrival. I also have cigarettes in my bag to smoke outside or in the car. It sounds strange but if I smoke I do not want to drink although I'm not a regular smoker.

My family (siblings) are all heavy drinkers at such events. Irish Catholics. I know they will be saying oh don't be boring etc etc. That doesn't worry me as much as the want/overwhelming urge which may come upon me when I am there. I am trying to plan as much as possible. I will have my car outside and SR in my pocket.

I've compiled a list of reasons NOT to drink at the funeral and will keep reading all weekend and when there. I am determined.

1. I will feel bad about myself for being weak and giving in.
2. I will not sip the wine but gulp it down.
3. After 1 glass I will be merry and a bit sillly.
4. I will keep drinking more and more wine.
5. I will start slurring my words.
6. I will start talking loudly.
7. I will say inappropriate things and tell people what I really think of them.
8. I will embarrass myself (again)
9. I will embarrass my mother and make her ashamed of me. (again)
10. People will say oh here she goes again. She was always like this.
11. People I've not seen for years will see me make a fool of myself.
12. I will possibly fall over.
13. I will cause a row.
14. I will keep drinking more and more and possibly insult people.
15. My husband will be really angry with me.
16. My son will see me behave badly.
17. I won't sleep at all.
18. If I do sleep I will wake in the early hours with a banging headache, raging thirst, sickness and sweating.
19. The following day will be full of shame.
20, I will always be remembered as the person who ruined her sister's funeral.
21. I will throw away 2 weeks of sobriety.
22. I will have to come back here and tell you Ive failed.
23. I will have to join yet another class.
24. I might have a meltdown and drive away and get arrested put in prison or kill someone drinking and driving.
25. I will make a total and utter fool of myself,

So the above MIGHT not all happen. But they might.

One thing is for sure - if I don't drink then NONE of the above will happen.

Please God and SR help me get through and not drink.

please feel free to add any other things I've forgotten and if anyone has advice please help me. thank you
Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another to add to your list....

I want to honour my sisters memory by being the best version of myself I can be.

Sorry you are going through this. You can absolutely face anything without a drink, you know that. Now you have to believe it.

Sending you love ❤️
Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RAL

I have faith in you and I believe that you can get through this sober.
The day is for remembering your sister and celebrating her life.

The AV is one lowdown SOB to make you even think about thinking about drinking.

Be there for others and let others be there for you

You will be sad - but thats ok - grief is sad and funerals can be too, Grief is a natural process...don't stymie that by drinking.

You can do this

D
Old 01-31-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

I want to honour my sisters memory by being the best version of myself I can be.

Sorry you are going through this. You can absolutely face anything without a drink, you know that. Now you have to believe it.

Sending you love ❤️
Thanks Jeni,
Ive just realised my list is all negatives. It's good to consider positives of remaining sober - looking at sobriety as a positive rather than a negative or missing out.
Thank you and I hope you are keeping well.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi RAL

I have faith in you and I believe that you can get through this sober.
The day is for remembering your sister and celebrating her life.

The AV is one lowdown SOB to make you even think about thinking about drinking.

Be there for others and let others be there for you

You will be sad - but thats ok - grief is sad and funerals can be too, Grief is a natural process...don't stymie that by drinking.

You can do this

D
Thanks Dee, I'm beating myself up again about how I threw all my sober time away and 2 years later still only in the second week.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be strong and don’t drink — do it for your sister. She would want you to live your best life. You can do this.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
Be strong and don’t drink — do it for your sister. She would want you to live your best life. You can do this.
Thank you Suzie. You're right, she would. She was the eldest. I am the youngest and she was always motherly towards me. she was so proud of me when I stopped drinking before and sure she'd be glad I've quit again.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

Sending you love ❤️
Well said.

And Happy Birthday tomorrow - 3 years rocks.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thanks Dee, I'm beating myself up again about how I threw all my sober time away and 2 years later still only in the second week.
I’ve never understood the concept that people believe in around “throwing away” the days/weeks/months/years that they were sober in the past? It’s not a continuous counting game. The liver doesn’t count days or collect chips at AA. The liver is just thankful for the rest as was the stomach, heart, mind, nervous system etc. Those days are never lost. The clock wasn’t wiped back to ‘nothing’ it was just paused.

I think it is the AV that tells the “thrown your sober days away” lie to keep the addict still drinking. Don’t listen to it RAL.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I’ve never understood the concept that people believe in around “throwing away” the days/weeks/months/years that they were sober in the past? It’s not a continuous counting game. The liver doesn’t count days or collect chips at AA. The liver is just thankful for the rest as was the stomach, heart, mind, nervous system etc. Those days are never lost. The clock wasn’t wiped back to ‘nothing’ it was just paused.

I think it is the AV that tells the “thrown your sober days away” lie to keep the addict still drinking. Don’t listen to it RAL.
I like the paused idea thank you. It's not thrown away of course it's still there, - it's 2 things:
1 - The difficulty I have in staying stopped now I've picked up again
2. the idea that if i had all that sober time then drank again how on earth can i stay stopped again.

Maybe the 2 things are the same or i'm just not explaining myself very well
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like the paused idea thank you. It's not thrown away of course it's still there, - it's 2 things:
1 - The difficulty I have in staying stopped now I've picked up again
2. the idea that if i had all that sober time then drank again how on earth can i stay stopped again.

Maybe the 2 things are the same or i'm just not explaining myself very well
It’s just habits. Good habits. Bad habits. We need to break out of the latter and defend the former with our lives. But ultimately I believe the answer to your question(s) is ‘habits’.

Must sleep now

JT
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am the youngest and she was always motherly towards me. she was so proud of me when I stopped drinking before and sure she'd be glad I've quit again.
So this is your reason to stay sober at the funeral and to honour your sister's memory. She will be very proud of you. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So this is your reason to stay sober at the funeral and to honour your sister's memory. She will be very proud of you. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your kind words Anna.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about the sudden loss of your sister.

I went to my boyfriend’s funeral drunk 9 years ago and the shameful memory still lives in me today. It is one of the saddest things I could have done to him, his family, and myself. I beat myself up tremendously over that for a long time and became almost suicidal. I was asked to leave the funeral because I was so drunk and being obnoxious and telling people inappropriate stories and whatnot. Many friends did reach out to me over the next days and even months to tell me that they were surprised and saddened that I was asked to leave and that it was obvious I was grieving terribly. Several said they didn’t think I was “that bad” ....it didn’t really matter though, the damage was done, by me, and to me. I was devastated. His family forgave me. But I don’t know that I have forgiven myself. I don’t think about that day as often now, but when I do, there is still a big ball of pain. I’ll never forget how I went to an AA meeting several days later and sobbed through the entire meeting to a group of complete strangers and when it came to be my turn, and I told them what I had done, they were so kind. Some had similar experiences.

We are here for you! Check in! Big hugs to you.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you don’t drink at the funeral, you will look back and be so proud. Post here if you can and just plan for a short walk or deep breathing away from the situation if needed. Go in the WC or the lobby, a quiet place if needed.
Do you have sentimental memento of your sisters? Hold it. Hold it tight. I really hope you remain sober and I’m so sorry for your loss. This is life testing you. Hugs
Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

RAL, I have a sister too, and I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I lost her. I know this is going to be painful for you, but you will be so glad when you get through it sober. I really believe that sobriety will help you find peace and healing in the long run. Thinking of you. ❤️
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss and pain RAL. It is the hardest thing to lose a loved one.
What I know is, that grief and sadness can be really hard sometimes, but you either do it now, or its waiting for you later anyway.
Hugs and love to you and I'm very sorry for the loss of your sister.

Can you make a exit plan for after so many hours if you are not feeling well? Do you find relief from herbal calming teas or lavender oil or anything like that?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your list of reasons to not drink are perfect.
Lots of great advice from others here. I really like the idea of honoring your sister by staying sober. Can you share your concern with your husband? And leave early if necessary?
Prayers for you to stay strong. You can do this.
It's what your sister would want.
Z
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi RAL,

I'm so glad you came here and posted. I lost my mom the day after Christmas, and the wake and funeral were very emotional. I cried a lot, i was extremely sad, and it was a very difficult few days, but I am so glad I allowed myself to feel everything I did sober.

I stayed at my mom's house, and my brother, who is an addict lives with her. He has struggled with drugs since he was a teenager, and he was using during the few days I was back for the funeral. I can share that some of the things he said out loud to family made me cringe. I couldn't leave fast enough the day after the funeral because he was making me crazy. His comments were thoughtless and self centered, I know I cannot say that is fully because he was under the influence, but it certainly contributed.

I'm still grieving, it's been a little over a month, and I feel like I just snapped out of a trance this week, but random thoughts still pop into my head daily.

You can do this sober, I know it is going to be an extremely difficult, and emotional few days. Allow yourself to cry, scream, be sad. I found escaping for a walk each day while I was back in NY was helpful, it allowed me to clear my head.

I celebrated three years of sobriety the day after her funeral, and I know she would be very proud of me for that.

Please know we are all here for you.

Sending my very deepest condolences for the loss of your sister, and lots of love your way.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope, for your sake, that you want to be sober more than you want to drink.