I'm in shock of coroners death results

Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in shock of coroners death results

Back on October 28 2018 my 34 girlfriend was found dead face down on her bed. She has been an alcoholic since she was 14or 15.
I have been waiting on the coroners autopsy and yesterday I finally received the information of what took her life. I was shocked to find out that she died of acute methamphetamine, fentanyl, acetyl fentanyl toxicity. She only had 0.02% ethanol in her body.

Here I thought I'd read that she died of organ failure or something. I am in shock! Apparently all her organs were in tip top shape. Unbelievable! How did her body manage no residual effects from alcohol. That Sh*t meth and fentanyl took her life. I had no clue she even used that stuff. They coroner also classified it as an accident.

I mean don't get me wrong I didn't want anything to take her life but this was way out in left field this news. I spent all this time preparing myself for different news and her death has still caught me off guard so to speak.

I hope she didn't suffer. I read in deaths like this the person goes unconscious and just stops breathing. I mean I know she was in tremendous emotional pain but at least I don't think she physically suffered in her death. Hopefully !

I just thought I'd update everyone on the results.
I still am grieving but as they say I take it one day at a time. I'm slowly but surly becoming my happy smiling self again little by little.

Kris
Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't find it surprising at all, that she was basically, physically fine or that she overdosed on fentanyl.

The body is built to survive. If you read some of the threads in the Alcoholism or Newcomers to Recovery, many people post that after years and years of heavy drinking there is no discernible damage, based on tests or maybe slightly elevated levels. Even where the results are not as great, abstinence finds them healing pretty fast (in many cases).

She was an addict and took a drug that killed her. Also not surprising. When your thinking is impaired and you are partying, fentanyl probably seems like a good idea.

I'm sorry this happened to her and to you.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well my guess is that she got meth and it was laced with fentanyl . In my area that is what the news is stating. Tainted illegal drugs> I have to laugh at that sentence. In my eyes " its just russian roulette". I don't think she knew it had fentanyl in it . Anyways its beyond the point now to worry about it.

All I can say is alcohol and illegal drugs are the worst demons ever.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

The human body is very resilient and adaptable, which is why you find heavy drinkers often don't seem drunk. I drank heavily in my 50s, and my liver function was perfect, although I'm pretty sure my memory deteriorated.

One of the traps of alcoholism is that it tends to catch up with you in late middle age after years of seemingly good health. If your friend had lived into her 50s and 60s it might have been a different story.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m sorry this happened to you and her. And I bet you are right about the meth laced fentanyl. That stuff is very dangerous (the fentanyl) and you only need very little to kill you.
My now RAXH turned 55 in rehab after 40+ years of drinking with short periods of sobriety. His last year of drinking was really bad. He also was diagnosed with latent TB and had to get treated for it for 4 months. You are not supposed to drink with those meds because they are hard on your liver. So he quit for a couple of week but after 2 weeks his liver functions came back normal to he started drinking again and continued throughout the entire treatment. So I am not necessarily surprised your GF was still in good physical shape at age 34. Although I have seen young people in their late 20s whose livers were shot and they were yellow. So that is possible as well, it is amazing what our bodies can handle.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a documentary on BBC Iplayer about phentanyl. It is deadly, supposedly 50 times stronger than heroin and has killed many people. The likelyhood is she would not have known the meth was laced with phentanyl as dealers do it on the sly to get people hooked. Such a shame. Its also likely she didn't suffer, as she would have slipped into a coma. I hope that is some comfort.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Within the last year, NPR did a piece on phentanyl. It's main focus was on how it is added to other drugs, and how this practice is becoming epidemic. The suppliers cutting into more expensive drugs know that it's deadly, and are disregarding the collateral deaths in the name of profits. It has the advantage of being more addictive than the drugs it's laced into. To me that warrants murder charges, along with the lesser crime of trafficking.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Condolences.

Sounds like she had multiple addictions. I see that with the alcoholic here. They drinks, gamble, use steroids, sports drinks and dabble with substances like adderal and cocaine among other things.

She was young I can see organs not being in bad shape. That being said I've seen a life time alcoholic have a stroke before 50 with no family history.

Good Luck.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can grieve and then find peace.