Notices

The magical 2 weeks

Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The magical 2 weeks

I was just curious. Does anyone believe in the magical 2 week mark?

I have seen people speak about how once alcohol is out of yoru body, everything is magically back to normal.

To suggest that you can put your body through years, decades, of heavy drinking and then be completely "reset" in 2 weeks strikes me as ridiculous at best.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I was just curious. Does anyone believe in the magical 2 week mark?

I have seen people speak about how once alcohol is out of yoru body, everything is magically back to normal.

To suggest that you can put your body through years, decades, of heavy drinking and then be completely "reset" in 2 weeks strikes me as ridiculous at best.

I quit for almost a year one time and found out the hard way that I was far from "reset".
Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me the two week Mark is danger zone, I can go along quite happily till around then, but then boom.......
I think I've always underestimated the strength of the pull, I get complacent, I think I'm miraculously cured.
Hell no..........
The two week Mark for me is when the work really has to start.
But two weeks is when I feel "normal again" whatever that means 😀

Much love 🙏
Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank for 25 years. I’d love to think that in 2 weeks my body would be reset.

I’m a little over 30 days sober and I am still noticing physical changes and assume that will continue for some time. As for emotional, I imagine it’ll take years, patience and grace to get where I’d like to be sober.

Taking it one day at a time.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been to rehab, AA, and internet forums and I've never heard anybody suggest that you can be back to normal after two weeks.

I would venture to guess that people that want to believe that are already planning on relapsing. "Hey I'll try moderating this time. If it doesn't work I'll just quit again and be fine in two weeks".
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No. 2 weeks was just getting my head above the waves. Took a while to get my boat out of that rotten harbor. Every day sober though made things better.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At two weeks I might have physically felt better but it took a year to feel mentally and emotionally stable.
Having said that I wouldn’t change anything for the world. It was worth the fight!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm at 60 days tomorrow. I think my body is physically close to whatever "normal" is for me. At least I feel physically good. Finally started sleeping somewhat normal the last couple days. The emotional and mental aspects are going to take years. After two weeks I felt better, but I was nowhere near "normal".
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had trivial habits that are difficult to contend with as it is- much less something like alcohol.

IDK where I have heard these things before but I know I have. It reminds me of someone I knew when he quit he would still keep beer in the fridge for guests. He'd criticize anyone who had a problem hanging around drinking with others, stating that alcohol is everywhere so why not just face it?

Fair enough, but then why don't you "just" have a drink? If I recall, you were downing Budweisers to the tune of 1 every 10 minutes like a drunken slob............now all of a sudden you're Mr. Rational?

Give me a break.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have also never heard of the 2 week magical mark where you are suddenly "normal". Wish it was that easy. Sober a few days short of 3 months myself. Obviously the physical dependency is gone now. I can see this being a life long journey for me and not a matter of months/years. I am 53 drank heavily from my teens until 12 weeks ago today (add drugs to the mix). It would be impossible to have myself reset in 2 weeks, to even think that is ridiculous
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes and no, obviously everything is not perfect and healed at two weeks. However, for me two weeks has always been the point where I can see progress. The point where I can look back at who I was two weeks ago and feel that I don’t want to be back at that point. Usually at two weeks the fog has lifted a bit, I get a bit of perspective. I have assessed some of the damage and start baby steps towards repair. My lifestyle is going in a better direction. So magical no, better yes.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This may give hope to some early in recovery that relief is on its way but stick to staying sober, IMO the first days are so rough a year seems like eternity so some small progress early offers a glimmer of light from the darkness we’ve lived in
https://www.google.co.cr/amp/s/amp.l...ver-detox.html
Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Mariposa.
Yeah totally. I hear that. I'm not confusing it with progress. I think there are amazing things that happen along the way. I guess I just take exception when I see writing that implies that everything is "just fine now".

IDK where I am getting that from. Maybe I'm imagining/projecting it??! LOL! In which case, forgive me, it's not my intent. It just seems like I've gleaned that from books and things on Youtube...."gurus" who act like they have it all figured out.

Another example is someone might say "hey you should never count the days you are abstaining because X,Y,Z..." Ever hear that one?

Like who cares what people do to stay sober? I don't always understand why people do what they do to stay sober but if they stay sober then who gives a rip?

Just seems like it takes a lot of nerve to be so cavalier and act like it was never any big deal.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
I

I've seen people speak about a lot of pretty preposterous ideas before - and not just alcohol related. Doesn't mean they are true, but remember that most people understand very little about addiction - if anyting at all. It is somewhat true that the physical withdrawal from alcohol is usually done within a couple of weeks, but that's only the beginning of the healing process.

Bottom line, listen to people who know how to get sober or who have gotten sober. And just like they say in AA, take what you need and leave the rest - that can apply anywhere.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I've seen people speak about a lot of pretty preposterous ideas before - and not just alcohol related. Doesn't mean they are true, but remember that most people understand very little about addiction - if anyting at all. It is somewhat true that the physical withdrawal from alcohol is usually done within a couple of weeks, but that's only the beginning of the healing process.

Bottom line, listen to people who know how to get sober or who have gotten sober. And just like they say in AA, take what you need and leave the rest - that can apply anywhere.
Good point.

I don't know why I got so cranky about this. Maybe because I'm sitting here on day 31 when I previously had 6 months and for a while everything was "just fine" and that's what got me into trouble. I know I'm not the only one, either. Not by a long shot. This sort of thing seems to be a problem for many.

It would seem one of the biggest dangers of drinking is when life gets too hard...the second most dangerous is when life gets too easy.

So basically....like always.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

IMO, there's no "magical" anything when it comes to sobriety. It's hard work. People talk about "miracles," and I get that, but I think the miracles that happen are more like results that come from putting the work in, and being aware of the good things, big and small, that will inevitably come from staying sober, cleaning up your side of the street, and working on yourself in a way many people never do.

At two weeks, I was still pretty much a mess emotionally, but physically I was starting to feel pretty good. I was happy about that, but I knew the real work was just beginning.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Two weeks to total reset? Oh don’t we all wish it were that easy, but it aint. Two weeks might be enough to get people sober from their latest binge, but if you look at behavior change, it takes much longer for new habits to take root.
Recovery is hard work and requires dedication, you have to stay with it and give it all you’ve got. And then there’s PAWS or whatever you want to call it, where you’ve got brain fog for months at a time - I had it after about six months and it took a while to clear.
Somewhere here on SR I’ve read that for every year you drank alcoholically, it takes you a month to recover. I don’t think there’s a whole lot of science behind that either, but it seems like a much more realistic yardstick. So if you’ve been hitting the bottle for say 10 years, it’ll take you almost a year to recover.

This 2 weeks thing on the other hand sounds like this new diet where you can lose 100 pounds in one month and you know how that ends, lol!
Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Magical Two Week mark sounds like Magic. I don't put much trust in magic myself.

Two weeks is nothing. I was a mess at 6 months and had a two month relapse problem for a while before I made my current stretch of 721 days and counting.

It's still something I'll need to think about, I was talking with a guy who has 32 years sober and he said don't believe the 5 year itch, it's the 7 year itch that's a tough one.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it depends on the level of abuse the body has taken? Certainly internal organs and digestion won't be back to normal that quickly. The liver is an amazing thing but it doesn't heal from chronic alcohol abuse that speedily.

Certain things were getting back to normal for me after two weeks (or slightly before in some cases).

Sleep was good
No shakes
Anxiety levels were vastly reduced
No stomach or liver pains
Eyes and skin much clearer
Toilet habits.... ermmm regular/better....

But my mind? Well that's a whole different kettle of fish my friend. After 20 years abuse I wouldn't know what my mind is like normal if I experienced it!
Old 02-01-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never heard that before but it doesn't match my experience anyway.

When you drink for twenty years its best to think in months rather than weeks...

Not to scare anyone but I found I was actually better off thinking in years to be back to what I consider tip top mental and physical shape, or the best approximation I could hope for.

D