Notices

Day 187 update,

Old 01-30-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 187 update,

hi all Sober life is going OK , taking it day by day , still have the odd urge to drink, but it's weak now , have no notion s of trying to moderate, that to me is just giving in to alcohol and saying I'll give it one more chance and if it dose t work ill give it up fully next time. I m not sure if I would be able to get this amount of sober time again so I'm holding on tight , I have t gone to AA , I know all the times and venues but have t ruled it out , so it's sheer stubbornness and ye guys that have got me this far , my new target now is to get to day 728 , A big jump I know , but I've nothing to go back on , it's drunk sick and broke or this normal healthy positive life , A BIg Thank You to all in SR
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Super congratulations Kid. I didn't use AA either although I would have tried it if I'd thought I was about to relapse.
I agree that it's motivating to have a target, and 728 days should be much easier than the first 178, it will just take a little longer.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats, kid50!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Kid

If sheer stubborness gets wearing regular posting here is not a bad way to find regular support - there's no extra grades for doing it alone

D
Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations to you!
I enjoy seeing your posts, as we gave up at pretty much the same time (tonight will mark day 186 complete) and I too have only used SR.

I did give up because I was worried that my binge weekend habit would turn into full blown daily drinking at some point, so I wasn't completely controlled by alcohol and guess I wasn't at a point where I needed stronger tools such as going to AA etc.

I had a very out of the blue craving for alcohol two days ago. My husband is doing Dry January and came home saying that he had a huge craving for a rum and coke. I suddenly thought 'Oh my word, I feel exactly the same way!' It was so unexpected to feel that way, as I've attended countless booze filled events since giving up and had no desire to drink at any of them. I guess the craving can just hit at the most random times.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have t gone to AA , I know all the times and venues but have t ruled it out , so it's sheer stubbornness

You should go, just in case.

Go to a couple of meetings and get a little familiar. You don't have to jump in full speed ahead if you don't want to, heck don't even talk at the meeting.

But a month or two from now, if you happen to get close to picking up again, you will have a familiar place to go for some face to face support. It's one more option in your recovery toolbox, and it beats the hell out of drinking again.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for support, im hoping to be around SR for a long time , I've often wondered if I'd come across SR earlier in my life if I could v stopped sooner. Big congrats to you too nerfthis, yeah i think we r always going to have to keep our guard up re those out of the blue moments, when your offered a drink and for a split second you nearly accept and then brain goes WHOA I don t drink anymore.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Kid and congratulations.

Like you I am holding on tight for fear of never being able to get sober again if I relapse. I have less time than you, 91 days but the most time I have ever had in about 35 years of heavy drinking.

My target is the rest of my life.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What an awesome job. So cool. And the feeling withers. Keep vigilant and keep doing the right thing. You got this!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you kailly , thank you Rose , zebra that s great advice re AA im contemplating about a meeting as I'm texting
Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are inspiring!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I was still having a pretty hard time at 187 days myself.

Slowly but sureltthings get easier every day!
Old 01-30-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah man - keep it going!
Congratulations