Notices

I want to drink sooooooo bad

Old 01-26-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to drink sooooooo bad

Bad week and my anxiety is through the roof. All I can think about is wine.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you came here first secret, the craving will pass just find something to distract yourself from it - exercise, shower, cleaning, read a book anything. You can do this!!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The last two days I've been so obsessed with drinking again. I'm so tired I wish I could shut my brain off. ��

I feel like this obsessive state of craving will never pass.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

But it will pass, if you ignore it long enough. Or better yet, talk back to it and tell it NO! Whatever you do, don't drink. Don't give in to the miserable cycle. It gets easier with more sober time.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't have a problem. I've taken online alcoholism tests but none of them said what I wanted them to say: you're good to go...drink your face off tonight. The more I looked for the answer I wanted, the more I found the answer I needed....

It is not normal to think about alcohol all day.

Period.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't give it power by thinking about it, it will just make the cravings worse.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job coming here!! I used to drink to try to avoid my anxiety, but found that drinking truly made it worse. I had a found walking outdoors (which I know won't work at night) and also mindfulness to help deal with anxiety.

Try some breathing tonight, it should help. Play the tape through, you will feel so good waking up sober tomorrow morning.

You can do this.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad I came here. I feel better already. It took a lot to make this post versus walk out the door and drink. There wasn't much holding me back and it's scary.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you did, each time you resist it will get easier. I'm really proud of you!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
I'm glad I came here. I feel better already. It took a lot to make this post versus walk out the door and drink. There wasn't much holding me back and it's scary.
This is s great place to spend time. Glad you're here and posting. Any thoughts on how to spend the night?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm snuggled in under my heated blanket watching Hulu. it's cold out.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

41 days sober today
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Next time, check out this thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...sons-quit.html (Reasons to Quit)

Congrats on 41 days
Old 01-26-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m right with you tonight, Secret. Day 26 and first major craving I’ve had. I’ve even been to a couple concerts and bars and I was fine. All I can think about for the last 4 hours is drinking.

The girlfriend and I are in a huge fight, and she’s downstairs drinking her wine. We’ve barely said 2 words to each other all day. I’ve been reading my book and got my daughter to bed. Now it’s just me in the living room with my book and my thoughts.

I came here instead of going to the store. First post I see is yours.

Thanks for having the courage to post, it helps me tremendously, and you very likely have kept me from drinking tonight.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize View Post
I’m right with you tonight, Secret. Day 26 and first major craving I’ve had. I’ve even been to a couple concerts and bars and I was fine. All I can think about for the last 4 hours is drinking.

The girlfriend and I are in a huge fight, and she’s downstairs drinking her wine. We’ve barely said 2 words to each other all day. I’ve been reading my book and got my daughter to bed. Now it’s just me in the living room with my book and my thoughts.

I came here instead of going to the store. First post I see is yours.

Thanks for having the courage to post, it helps me tremendously, and you very likely have kept me from drinking tonight.
The cravings are brutal and relentless. I'm glad you came here. I'm glad I came here. It will get easier. I know this because I've been sober for a year. But damn is this hard. If I didn't post here, I was going to drink.

I see you're from Wisconsin too. It's hard to be sober in a state that promotes alcohol. Everywhere I turn there is alcohol. It's almost shameful to be sober and people treat you like a disease.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Each time you resist the urge to drink, you get a bit stronger. It gets easier to say NO. Try practicing gratitude every day. That worked wonders for me, in my recovery and in my whole life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 01-26-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I see you're from Wisconsin too. It's hard to be sober in a state that promotes alcohol. Everywhere I turn there is alcohol. It's almost shameful to be sober and people treat you like a disease.
It’s everywhere you turn. I live in one of the top 10 drinking cities in the nation (Wisconsin claims the majority of that list, HA!). I drank and partied for over 10 years. It’s been a really hard adjustment. From dating, to friends, to entertainment. The looks and critical comments you get as the sober one, it’s disgusting.

My girlfriend is from Washington State and she is still shocked (3 years later) at how heavy we rely on alcohol here. You can’t go to a child’s weekend baseball tournament without kegs and beer tents.

And yet, it’s all my own excuse. The traps I’ve let myself fall into time and time again. I can be sober, I know sober people, lots of places that don’t have booze available.

My hardship lies on the “fun times” I had while drinking. They far surpass the bad. However the lasting consequences of the bad far surpass the lingering fun of the good. Rational vs. Emotional.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Try practicing gratitude every day. That worked wonders for me, in my recovery and in my whole life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

Excellent advice. What have I gained by sobriety?

Health. Confidence. New passions. Presence for my daughter. More energy. Goals. Respect. Pride. Money. Working on trust.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize View Post

It’s everywhere you turn. I live in one of the top 10 drinking cities in the nation (Wisconsin claims the majority of that list, HA!). I drank and partied for over 10 years. It’s been a really hard adjustment. From dating, to friends, to entertainment. The looks and critical comments you get as the sober one, it’s disgusting.

My girlfriend is from Washington State and she is still shocked (3 years later) at how heavy we rely on alcohol here. You can’t go to a child’s weekend baseball tournament without kegs and beer tents.

And yet, it’s all my own excuse. The traps I’ve let myself fall into time and time again. I can be sober, I know sober people, lots of places that don’t have booze available.

My hardship lies on the “fun times” I had while drinking. They far surpass the bad. However the lasting consequences of the bad far surpass the lingering fun of the good. Rational vs. Emotional.
My city is in the top 10 as well. Ugh. It's not easy with the temptation everywhere.

Is it all really that much fun though? I was asking myself this question tonight. Driving drunk, puking, passing out? Is it fun to turn into a version of your self you loathe? I think the "fun" we are missing out on is a lie that our AV uses to trick us into drinking again. Think about it.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Is it all really that much fun though? I was asking myself this question tonight. Driving drunk, puking, passing out? Is it fun to turn into a version of your self you loathe? I think the "fun" we are missing out on is a lie that our AV uses to trick us into drinking again. Think about it.
Those nights, definitely the worst. But not every night ended that way. The nights that were fun and games, no evil text messages, no fights, no driving or puking, just being social and laughing and doing everything “by the book.” I miss that and I’m really good at convincing myself it’s possible. And even if it was, playing with that loaded gun every time has become too scary. I’m putting more emphasis on those bad nights. The nights that ruined relationships, friendships, dangerous and disgusting decision making. It has to be done, and it will be.