Notices

Day 45 - Ok, so what to do on a Friday night?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 45 - Ok, so what to do on a Friday night?

Hey people,

So I'll go straight to the point. No movie, pizza or book will do the trick for me. Why? Because I live in a foreign country and in a city were most of Friday nights go around alcohol (One of the main party cities in the world, so no exaggeration). For this reason, I am quite lonely (literally).

This creates a lot of anxiety because I really do not want to drink, but I also don't want to do alone. (By the way, sorry guys but I don't want to go to an AA meeting on a Friday night). Seriously, no offense, it's wonderful if you like doing it, but my alternative to drinking on a Friday night is not hiding from it.

So anyone has some alternative plans, ideas, suggestions or whatever on what to do to meet people and hang around? Literally, any idea is better to what I have now.

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What town and in which country?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Typically Friday nights I stay home, cook, and watch a movie alone. It works for me. Saturday afternoons I'll go be active during the day....hiking or exploring, and then I'll end up having a dinner out with friends, and usually hit the bars with them until late. I'm comfortable at bars being sober at this point, but understand that not everyone would be.

My friends are aware of my situation, support and accept it, and most have cut down drinking themselves because of me. Sorry that I didn't really answer your question, and more just talked about what works for me. Oh well, I tried.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it would be too risky to go out in that environment. So instead I would go to bed early and plan something nice for tomorrow when the parties are over. Swimming, hiking, sightseeing whatever is your thing. Arrive home exhausted content and sober, have dinner and another early night...Ready for the next days adventures.

Stay Strong.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

first off, there is no rule that says that one HAS to do anything on any specific night, friday or not. in fact, the It's Friday Night So I Must Celebrate is just a big excuse to drink.

if you want to stay sober, hanging with other sober folks is not a bad plan at all.
staying in with a movie, popcorn and a getting to bed at a decent time isn't bad either. it's kind of responsible even!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was the same for decades, in terms of Friday nights. Which more often than not turned into the worst drinking binges all weekend, into the next week. I found out the pool I swim at is empty and I get a lane (or pool) to myself. My gym however has the usual crowd committed to their own goals, which over time I joined their ranks. I actually "start" my weekly training routine now on Friday nights because of what once was the night that I waited for and dreaded. Waking up Saturday morning after sober sleep still is so fantastic I've never regretted that.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To me this is a mindset. We have been taught that Friday night means we have to party. I lived a good portion of my life with this way of thinking. Friday is just another day of the week that holds no significance over Monday. Took me a while to get that to sink in tbh.

No matter how big of a party town it is there are many many people that do not indulge. Find those people. I'm sure there are activities you are or were interested in. Find people in your town that also enjoy those activities.

It's like my dad used to tell me a long time ago. You are who you're friends are.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too live in a city centre, can hear live bands etc has it s up and down s. Now that I no longer drink all I do is either go out for a cuppa or go for stroll around town. Not very exciting but least I wake up in morning s fresh, sober and ready for day.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What do you do Saturday-Thursday to stay sober? Do that. I'm doing the same thing tonight I do any other day of the week.

Gym.
Visit family.
Community Service.
Library.
Dinner date alone.
Park.
Swimming.
Rock Climbing.
Hiking.
Laundry.
Build something.
Painting.
Update your resume.
Garden.
Go to bed early.
Color.
Dance party.
Journal.
Bake.
Podcast.
Puzzle.

My problem is I struggle to find anything enjoyable. But a large soda, good music, and my Playstation, works great for me on a Friday night.

Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How about hang out here at SR?
Here are some things I like to do. I have a husband and tweener son so it may be different for those single without kids.

Go for a run
Hike and watch the sunset
Yoga class or get a massage
Cook a family dinner and dance in the kitchen, or go out to eat
Watch a family movie or play a board game or do a puzzle
Listen to a podcast. Here’s a good one: The Bubble Hour. I also like podcasts on creativity and anything inspirational that leads to self improvement
Light candles and take a warm bath with tea
Catch up or binge watch a Netflix or HBO series (or other network in your country). I am currently rewatching Game of Thrones with my hubby. Breaking Bad was awesome if you haven’t seen it. If I’m by myself, I love This Is Us. I like home improvement shows too
Paint or work on an art or gardening project
Journal
Read
Go to dinner with a friend. I’ve occasionally gone to a bar with friends and comfortable at this point being sober and around others who are drinking. Probably not a good idea though, in the beginning.
I found paint by stickers books I really want to try.

This all may sound boring, and in fact it was for me in the beginning. But I love my nerdy life now It takes time to get used to change.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteer work saved me. I was just beginning my recovery and I wanted to do something to give back. I had no idea how much I would be given in return. I made many friends and two women, in particular, who became close friends and mentors to me.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New hobbies are always nice
Old 01-27-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

So what did you end up doing?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys!!

Thanks, everyone for all the wonderful suggestions.

On Friday night I was already home when I wrote this so I ended up just chilling watching some Netflix and so on.

For the next two days of the weekend, I went for coffee with a couple of friends and I joined a crossfit box which has classes in the weekends, including Sunday.

Still working in having a plan to keep sober!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good report and starting a specific plan is a GREAT idea!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm doing the same right now with new episodes of Kimmy Schmidt
Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do whatever you want to do really
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

D