Notices

Just over 2 weeks sober..

Old 01-25-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just over 2 weeks sober..

Hi all, glad I found this forum, I'm new here 😊. Bit of background, I'm 48 , female and been drinking rather too much, pretty much on a daily basis for about the last 20 years, roundabout the time I started university. . Not sure how it became a habit , probably multiple responsibilities, problems & pressures building up over time. Been having a tough time at work for years , & finally got signed off sick with stress last month. I decided to finally face my problems rather than bury them in drink & figured the best time to try & get sober is now whilst I haven't got the stress of work hanging over me. I quit cold turkey, and boy did I feel it , psychologically and emotionally. It's like having a crutch kicked from under me. I don't have much of a support network & noone really knows how I'm feeling. However I am using our staff occ health and staff counselling service which is brilliant. I'm also reading a lot about addiction, where it stems from etc, and doing a lot of self reflection & self care. Also a lot of regrets are surfacing such as all the bad decisions I've made whilst under the influence, but I'm trying not to dwell on these & look to the future. It's tough but I know better clearer times are ahead 😊
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! The first 2 weeks was a whirlwind for me. At times I was feeling all "giddy" and fired up about being sober, and other times I was sad and just wanted to party. Keep it up, enjoy the little things, and learn from the hard times.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks 😊 I must say, and I bet most on here will agree, the hardest thing is resisting external pressure to drink. I'm realising now just how much our culture revolves around alcohol. But I'm also seeking out the company of people I know who don't drink. And am looking forward to discovering nice coffee shops in my area! 😊
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heyyyy I'm fairly new, I'm 47yr female, so I relate to most of what you've said, but throw a raging coke habit into the mix as well. This site has been a source of hope an strength. I wish you love on your journey🙏 hopefully we can check in with each other time to time x
Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on two weeks plus Brightsky. Early recovery is an emotional roller coaster but if you know that in advance it makes things a bit easier.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I quit cold turkey, too. It was rough for a few days, but I made it.
Anyway, it sounds like you're doing great things for your recovery. That's a big step forward.
Stick around here, you'll find a lot of support.

Best to you.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Brightsky (great name): I'm going to be 48 this year and had been daily drinking for the last twenty years as well. I have 25 days today and it wasn't until day 20 that my withdrawal symptoms (which included crying fits) started to wane. I have a lot of regret over my poor decisions too and, when I quit, the harmful way that I was conducting myself became more clear. But each day that I don't drink, I feel more confidence. You're welcome to join the January 2019 thread. It's a great group that just quit this month and we check-in every day. It's helped me a lot and your voice would be a great addition.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, Brightsky! You're never alone.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Welcome! The first 2 weeks was a whirlwind for me. At times I was feeling all "giddy" and fired up about being sober, and other times I was sad and just wanted to party. Keep it up, enjoy the little things, and learn from the hard times.
So much truth to this. I am also freshly sober and going from extreme sadness to feeling on top of the world. It's like being a 16 year old girl all over again. I'm waiting for the ride to even out, I'll take lower highs for higher lows.

Congrats on your sober time, Brite. There is a monthly support thread for people who quit in January, hope to see you there, too. It's a good way to get support from others going through the same timeline, and to help others at the same time.

Welcome to sr
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support and company. I was doing well & looking after myself but now I've just come down with a really bad case of tonsillitis! Weird cos I haven't had anything like this for about 20 years.. and I've barely been out the door for the past few weeks! I can hardly swallow it's so painful. Off to the docs tomorrow if I can get in.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Brightsky,

I just want to give you a word of precaution. When I attempted sobriety for the second time I got tonsillitis about three months in. The doctor prescribed me both antibiotics and pain medication.

My cravings came back in a HUGE way and I relapsed shortly thereafter. I don't know if that is correlation or causation. It's possible the medication awoken my cravings and it's also possible I would have relapsed anyways. In my previous sobriety attempts I admit I was arrogant in thinking "I've got this under control" and therefore didn't stick to a program 100%.

When you see the doctor you absolutely need to tell him of your history of alcohol abuse as a precaution. I didn't say anything and ended up paying the price.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you brightsky!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get well soon Brightsky - getting ill is pretty common - I think we run on empty as far as our immune systems goes. Take away the alcohol and things can fal;l in a heap for a little while?

welcome aboard tho

D
Old 01-27-2019, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks , and I will tell the doctor about the alcohol . I'm not getting any cravings to drink alcohol thankfully. I can't drink anyway cos I can't swallow!! Just sipping iced water at the mo .