Notices

Sober weekend, a little harder than I thought

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober weekend, a little harder than I thought

I didn’t drink on my weekend away with friends, which was great. I was happy to stay sober and feel good each day we were there and remember everything, but I can’t lie. It was harder than I thought. I was anxious, even though I felt no pressure to drink and logically I didn’t want to. But when everyone was out of the house and it was just me hanging out, I had to move the alcohol out of my line of sight, because it bothered me so much. And I’m not sure if I really wanted to drink it or if I was just sad or angry that I couldn’t or if it’s just years of habits of having a few (dozen) drinks while away with friends and my body and brain were confused of why we weren’t doing that right now... but it doesn’t matter. It was a good reminder to be humble and that this isn’t always going to be easy. Thank you all for posting and giving me something to read and check in on while I was trying to keep busy and process my feelings this weekend. It really helped to come read everyone’s posts.

15 days sober ✌️
Old 01-22-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it helps there's no way I could have negotiated a weekend away at 13-15 days.

Thats a huge ask and I'm not surprised it was hard..
You should be proud you made it though.

I think you can make things a little easier on yourself tho - maybe be a little selective on the social things you do, at least for a while until you feel stronger in your resolve?

D
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you and I am. I considered not going, but it’s an important weekend we have annually with friends. Really good friends, too, and good people who I’m happy to be sober around. I’m definitely being selective in my social outings and not accepting any overnight invites any time soon I did cancel another plan that I felt less sure about next month.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, all those things you mentioned. But you made it. I also don't know if I could have done it.
You should be proud of yourself. You passed a test with flying colors.
Great job.
You did what it took to stay sober. That is impressive so early in sobriety.
Very beat to you and congratulations on fifteen days.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats to you for maintaining your sobriety. 15 days in is a tough time, especially for weekends away where there is alcohol present.

You definitely built some sober muscles with your trip but just be cautious and guarded with your sobriety right now.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job.

I'm with Dee though - unnecessary risks in early sobriety were a bad idea for me. Primarily for emotional reasons, even early on. What do I mean by early? The first year and a half or so.

You did go and you stayed sober, which is great. I will also call Dee up to point out something I believe I heard him say early in my SR days- a prime time to be vigilant and even increase our tools for sobriety is right AFTER we have a successful sober event. We might feel good or strong after it, and letting down a guard at 15 days would likely be a really bad decision.

Keep going and stay with us. And, I'd add that I believe there is NOTHING we have to do, can't decline, or should do because [ insert reason here ]. Ever. If sobriety comes first, nothing else actually matters. And for me, I don't have folks in my life who don't get that. Just my $0.04...