Al-anon: the only requirement for membership

Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Al-anon: the only requirement for membership

Al-anon has 12 steps, 12 traditions and 12 concepts of service. This structure allows growth, group continuity and longevity. Some groups are healthier than others, yet this also has become a part of my recovery. Experiencing a group that is consistently not healthy came at a time I was learning to walk away from unhealthy situations.

Tradition 3:

"The relatives of alcoholics, when gathered together for mutual aid, may call themselves an Al-Anon Family Group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation. The only requirement for membership is that there be a problem of alcoholism in a relative or friend."

Concept of Service 4:

Participation is the key to harmony.

I'm posting this here as I continue to explore life beyond Al-anon.

I haven't had an active sponsor relationship for some time. When I say "my sponsor" it's from the heart. Her words and encouragement are still with me every day!

Tradition 3 reminds me I'm very much a member of Al-anon, if I like. I go to meetings. Sometimes rarely; sometimes many. Often now I'm drawn to being out in nature and connecting with others through various businesses or interests.

This past week has been extremely difficult, so I went to Al-anon meetings last week, yesterday morning and an open AA meeting last night.

Tomorrow I'm planning on two Al-anon meetings.

There is alcoholism in my family. It's an illogical, baffling disease. There is a solution that many have found. Al-anon is part of is a part of my recovery. So is SR.

Sponsorship is an important part of the Al-anon program. I am open to it.

I keep taking this one day at a time and trust things are working out whether it's with SR support, being in a tranquil yoga studio, being out in nature or going to a meeting. There are many paths and layers to healing.

One of the best skills I've learned from Al-anon, law of attraction, yoga and meditation is the importance of learning to pause, take a step back and listen to my healthy inner voice.

Take what you like and leave the rest. This is a journey and simply my thoughts of where I am right now.

#gratitude
Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Al-Anon slogans:

Easy Does It

I have no worlds or family members to conquer. I'm not in control of other people's lives. In this I find freedom and space to self-regulate my own life.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the moment

Another day.

I'm prioritizing much-required self care. Simple things. Some fuel in my vehicle. Gratitude for the finances to do so & gratitude for the vehicle. Universe/Higher Power provides. Many years in and I'm practicing the art of saying "thank you, God" on a regular basis through the day, One Day At A Time.

I'm allowing a full 20 minutes for a facial mask and noting relaxed body muscles as I do this.

I showered and weighed myself at the gym today. Typically "the world is my playground" is my kind of gym, or a climbing gym, yet this urban, relaxed gym is pumped full of great music, spaces that innately mean a lot to me and I enjoy these & locker room spaces for a full spectrum life experience. My kind of day-spa connection. New neuropathways built via continually stepping into new, more, thank you life!