Notices

Vivid Dreams

Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivid Dreams

I am 50 days sober as of this morning. My life is more manageable although I do think that I’ve been drinking in the past to hide my depression and unmanaged thoughts. Just recently I’ve been finally getting full nights of sleep but the dreams have been extreme and about things that are far in the past.

For example, last night I dreamed about being in an argument with my ex husband. We’ve been divorced for many years now and very rarely talk. Has anyone else experienced this? I never remember having dreams before and i don’t particularly enjoy them.

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I dream all the time, good and bad. I agree sometimes I enjoy them, sometimes not so much.

When I was a drunk, I never dreamt unless I somehow managed to sleep extensively. Then sometimes I dreamt.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Pearl Door. I'm 19 days in and in the beginning, I would have nightmares. Now, I'm dreaming quite a bit but they are not really pleasant dreams- but not nightmares. For instance, a couple of days ago, I dreamed that my son pushed me into a river in dressed up attire. Made no sense. Then last night I dreamed that both myself and hubby were in the hospital (that would be a nightmare) and the nurses threw us a baby shower. We are in no way shape or form pregnant.
I don't recall dreaming when I was drinking. If I did, it was few and far between.
I am ready for the pleasant dreams to begin!
Hope
Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very, very vivid dreams when I am sober (after the first week or so).

The good news is that this is considered to be good sleep (REM)

JT
Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people get them at some point PearlDoor
they do fade tho, in my experience
Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dream more intensely and vividly about all sorts of things when I am sober. Never dreamt much when drinking. Sometimes I think the dreams are about repressed or unresolved issues. Other times, maybe about wants and desires. Or they are just so completely random, I can’t make any sense out of them. I think it’s all pretty normal.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it is the direct opposite.

I used to have the most exhausting dreams while drinking. Travelling dreams, losing passports, losing my H and children, being late for a flight or train and having to run with my luggage - or leaving it behind in an attempt to be on time. Airports, stations, weird places . And recurring dreams of places (where I have never been in real life) but "knew" in my dreams.

I used to wake up totally exhausted and upset every morning and became afraid to fall asleep.

I cannot remember when last I had a dream that made a lasting impression on me. I just sleep. Aaaah