Notices

40 Days Clean then wallop!!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40 Days Clean then wallop!!

Hi everyone,

Hope keeping well,

I am 40 days alcohol free today, (30 years on and off drinking, mostly on), everything was going great until today when out of the blue I started to feel panicky, nauseous, stressed, headache, flu symptoms, doom and not feeling myself. I also woke up in middle of night ? I am just wondering if anyone had same symptoms around same period? maybe it my brain/body healing and getting used to the new me?,

Any thoughts greatly appreciated thanks. Have a nice day ...: headbange
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t know what might be wrong but if it was me I’d probably make an appointment with my doctor just to get a once over.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 40 days. And it sounds pretty normal to me as my first months in particular were up and down physically, emotionally, everything. I did have good drs and also knew it would be a journey....my only 100% solution was to keep going sober.

Perhaps take a look at this - click on the tab PAWS. It explains the syndrome and while the extended process might not apply to you like it did me, this does a great job of explaining what most of us experience in the first 6 mo, year, even 2 of our sobriety.
www.digital-dharma.net

The book Living Sober is also a good and easy read about the first yr of sobriety.

Glad you are here!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi August25 Thanks for reply and links will defo follow up
Old 01-21-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am also under a lot of stress in work, which I don't believe is helping the situation. I also got a flu jab a week ago so don't know if that caused flue lol? As STRONGER2017 suggested to see doctor which I will take on-board, thanks. My goal initially get over Christmas and New Year, then 30 days then 40 and 100 and take from there, I can ride this storm and know its only for a short spell (I hope )to get in the clear open space if that ever happens, if you know what I mean and the AV Shuts up!! Thanks everyone.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think this may apply. I pulled this quote from another thread. When things get stressful we don't have the alcohol blanket to hide under any more.

Originally Posted by Kejun View Post
The best thing about getting sober, getting my feelings back.
The worst thing about getting sober, getting my feelings back.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This too shall pass.

I think any and all emotions are valid always. They just aren't a reason to drink. No matter what thoughts I had come up, I didn't pick up a drink.

Early sobriety was a storm of emotions and feelings and they came out of nowhere for me. Stay the course. It will get better, the storm will settle and a drink is not the solution.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 40 days of sobriety. For me, recovery wasn't a straight line and there were ups and downs in my physical and mental health. There were some tough days, but it does get better and easier as you continue.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

We alkies don't do feelings well at all. If ya can learn to live through the feeling, it will change. If it isn't changing fast enough, go help someone else or do something. Feelings change when we are productive.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

You wanna see me on a ****** day - it ain't pretty I'm not perfect and will never pretend to be (not saying anyone is btw) but basically I'm 5.5 years sober and I get way more good days now accepting days now even a few productive days here and there it all counts and 40 days in my book knowing you & your journey a bit is commendable Carlingford just keep on keeping on no headbanging and no isolating keep in contact bro - big love

Stick with it even when it seems impossible
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf good to hear from you and well done on 5.5 yrs. As you know I have been here before and forgot the difficulties and struggles with the brain rewiring itself. I was taken by surprise after 40 days and I'm blaming that full big red full moon lol. To top it all off I have a terrible cold as well and feel double crap. I am back in Saudi Arabia and cannot drink even if I wanted too!! I packed in before Christmas, well was here and will build on my 3 months sober here before my return to the Emerald Isle, I have a plan this time for no relapse, sick and tired been sick and tired. Catch up soon Soberwolf, bedtime in desert now, bye for now C
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Around 3 weeks in for me. Totally had same feelings last night and today. Had an anxiety attack last night that lasted longer than I liked, could not sleep, panicky, overwhelming sadness and doom lasting into today.

I am blaming it on the Super Moon. I’m eating the food I want, lessening my coffee today, drinking lots of water and I ate some sugar. Hoping tomorrow is better for you and me. Congrats on 40 days.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Night mate
Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon Carlingford

D
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, Congratulations on 3 weeks Suzieq17, we must have the same metabolism and a hate for full moons lol. funny you mention it, I did notice before an increase in anxiety symptoms before end of each month ! I had an early night in bed last night and feel 30% better today, I also have reduced my nicotine input and blame that too for a weaker immune system, that's another problem for me to tackle!! I am drinking plenty of hot fluids with lemon and ginger and plenty of fruit and veg. getting there bit by bit. Have a nice Day everyone