Notices

Weekend Away - would appreciate support

Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend Away - would appreciate support

Hello!

I'm going on a weekend trip with my husband and friends and there will be drinking. Not by me, of course! I'm only about 13 days in since my last binge drinking episode, so I know it's early, but I really didn't want to cancel. This is a good group of friends who don't get rowdy or anything and certainly will not ask why I'm not drinking. They are as used to seeing me sober as they are drinking and we're training for a race so I have an easy enough "reason" to pass without getting too personal. I'm not TOO worried, but still thought it would be best to check in for accountability.

I'm taking some work with me to do while people are off skiing (I'm not a mountain sports person), so I'll have that, my books, some other projects I'm working on, and my dog to keep me busy. I also usually cook for everyone while they're out for the day, because I love to cook and it gives me something fun to do.

I've told my therapist about the trip and they're available to chat online should I need it, as I know I've got you guys. My husband said he will probably have a few drinks, but will not get wild. I could ask him to not drink and he'd do that if I really wanted him to, but his drinking isn't usually a trigger for me and it's his one weekend with friends each year.

Anyways, I just wanted to post so I had some things to check in on should I get anxious about anything once we get up there. I'm also taking lots of seltzer so I have something to drink and don't out of habit grab for something else.

Thank you for your support!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Walk on

Good luck to you, I hope you discover you enjoy their company just as much while sober rather than having to hide away from the situation.

Best of luck to you and you sound like you know what you do and do not want to happen.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have a good plan.

Depending on your comfort level, maybe full transparency would help? That idea has been difficult for me in the past, but for people I know will be supportive, it's helped hold myself accountable (total pride issue, can't be "that" person that gives into something).

Regardless though, it's great you have lined up multiple sources of support. And it's great your husband will change his habits if it helps you, he sounds very supportive.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and can experience it in a new and refreshing way! I'd honestly LOVE a trip into the mountains to snowboard and sit in a lodge. It sounds amazing!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the weekend goes well for you.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you feel confident. There are some good tips to be had here - doesn;t hurt to have more tips that you need

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

Have a good sober weekend keepingup

D
Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! Last night went well. It was a small group and we mostly hung out chatting, the people drinking did so very moderately and I was happy with my seltzer. Today I’ve been at the house alone most of the day and had to move the big bottle of booze (my drink of choice) out of eyesight because it was kind of bothering me. There is definitely a habit when on vacation to start mixing drinks early and even though I really don’t want that, it was still giving me some anxiety to Be front and center on the counter as it has been left. I’m tired, too, from staying up late and I can see how even being a bit tired can be triggering. It’s work reminding myself not to do something that’s been so habitual in these circumstances!

But, I moved the bottle and haven’t thought much of it since. Keeping busy cooking, tending the fire, listening to podcasts and reading. Pretty good weekend over all. Especially if everyone else will do the dishes tonight
Old 01-19-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on staying strong!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

You're staying true to your username

I'm glad you're checking in here and have your therapist as need be. I found it really useful when traveling away from my f-t-f support network to talk to someone who shared my determination to stay sober, even briefly, when surrounded by people who couldn't really understand.

It's great that you're enjoying your friends in a healthy way
Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’re doing great keeping busy. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you noticed you were tired and that you decided to move the alcohol. Paying attention is an important part of recovery. I'm glad your weekend is going well.