Notices

Palpitations and more recovery fun

Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Palpitations and more recovery fun

Alright I know medical advice cannot be given here and what's more I will be seeing a doctor soon (again). I was just curious if palpitations is something that accompanied anyone in their sober journey.

I drank heavy for 10 years and never got palpitations but after quitting for 6 months then starting again I began to notice them every single day. It's day 17 and I'm assuming the last bit of alcohol has left my body and these palpitations seem more prevalent than ever.

This all started more or less 6 months ago when as I said I started dabbling in "moderation". It obviously didn't take many beers, maybe 5 a week on average, for this new symptom to appear. I went to my doctor and he did blood tests and an EKG and he said he was unconcerned about the results as they are normal. This, despite me being honest with my drinking history.

They sure don't feel normal.

So anyhow, I'm going to the doctor soon but to be honest doctors don't always have the proper perspective. So I thought I'd probe the forums and ask if anyone had palpitations, like daily, frequent palpitations...and did they go away?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

I did, for about the first year of my recovery.

I don't want to discourage you and we are all different but I have read many times over about people experiencing palpitations in early recovery.

And, yes, they did go away eventually.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had them and the got worse with each subsequent cycle of drinking/quitting/drinking/quitting. They did go away eventually though but not for a while when I finally quit for good.

Nothing should replace sound medical advice when it comes to something as important as your heart though. Drinking and quitting is only one of many possible reasons for heart palpitations - so having a medical professional rule those out too is very important.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Apparently kindling is a very real thing.

I’m going to be running all this by my doctor again very soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ask the dr to check your magnesium and potassium. Blood sugar can also be all over the place super early on so eat often. Hydration can also impact the heart.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, kindling is a very real thing. I didn't experience palpitations, but the symptoms I did have definitely got worse each time I tried to stop drinking.

I'm glad you're talking to your doctor soon and I do hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of water and hang in there!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugar. That’s another thing. Since I ever stopped drinking I have consumed more sugar in one year than perhaps the rest of my life put together. Plus I went from one cup of coffee to three or four. Throw in the insomnia and withdrawl and you have a confused heart. Lol

I’m trying to go easier on the sugar this time around but it’s proving to be more difficult than I thought. I’m going to do my best.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

All I can speak of is from my own experience, but I'm almost 5 years sober & I experience mild palpitations often, daily almost, not so much that I get faint, but I can feel my heart pounding & racing, and hear it in my inner ear. My doctor has checked it and has no worries. Sometimes I think it's anxiety, sometimes maybe an abrupt transition from sitting to fast walking, sometimes no apparent cause at all.

I've come to think it's just one of those things -- not recovery-related, except that probably I didn't notice it when drinking, any more than I noticed anything else about myself or the world around me.

See your doctor! (And I hope you're 100% well)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Totally normal for me. Goes away with time. Hang in there.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had them every time my BAC would get low, when I was drinking heavy. I would just adjust my BAC back up and they would go away. Of course this is a vicious cycle. When I detoxed (several times) I had to get anxiety meds from my Dr. because my heart was jumping so bad . They do go away with sober time. Best Wishes
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One of the Joy's of recovery. I always thought of it as my heart skipping a beat because it didn't have to work so hard when I was sober. Now who knows if that's true and it probably isnt. But I didn't worry about it because it wasnt that bad. It always took me aback and it made me pause but as quickly as it came it went.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Sugar. That’s another thing. Since I ever stopped drinking I have consumed more sugar in one year than perhaps the rest of my life put together. Plus I went from one cup of coffee to three or four. Throw in the insomnia and withdrawl and you have a confused heart. Lol

I’m trying to go easier on the sugar this time around but it’s proving to be more difficult than I thought. I’m going to do my best.
I've noticed the sugar thing too Ox. Chocolate especially for some reason. My mother recently made a dessert called "Death by Chocolate" for a family get together. I swear I could of ate the whole bowl myself and skipped out on the supper. Making me want some just talking about it. Mmmmmm lol.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had it too, Waterox. I had forgotten about that. My worst symptom was neuropathy in my hands and feet. But the palpitations were us there too. I thought I was having anxiety attacks. Maybe that was part of it too. But they did go away. Kindling is definitely real. My symptoms got worse with each subsequent sober-relapse cycle.

Thanks for that reminder. I hope you feel better soon!