Notices

First day - feel surprisingly good

Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day - feel surprisingly good

So this is the start of my first day of not drinking. It took me a while to get out of bed (well, off couch) and when I did I felt surprisingly fresh. I mean, I feel groggy and still too anxious to go out, and there is a lot at the moment I could be worrying about yet I don't. I feel ready for whatever will be thrown my way.

It is going to be tough and I know times are going to get harder but right now I'm simply focused on what I can change and rather accepting of the limitations bestowed upon me. It is far easier just seeing what is right in front of me rather than hoping for some radical change.

One day at a time now has some meaning to me. Taking each day as it comes removed the burden of expectation and hope that is so unattainable at this moment.

Thank you to everyone that has showed me encouragement and replied to my threads. Thank you also to everyone that posts in general. Thank you to everyone that has reached out to me. I hope I can listen to your advice when I need it most and when times get tough. I also apologise for my negative responses recently. My attitude needs to change. I realise, as many of you have pointed out to me, I need to avoid over thinking for the time being.

Good luck to everyone on their early stages of recovery. We are always one choice away from falling or moving forward. I hope we make the right choice for ourselves and everyone around us. 💗
Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job. That day one can be tough.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a nice post to read, the kind that puts a smile on my face.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Tony and Guener
I'm not getting a head of myself just yet. Still early days. I'm refusing to even have that internal back and forth about drinking. I'm just thinking, no drink, simple as. No arguing it, no reasoning, no logic, just simply get out of this habit today. Feel better tomorrow, and in a few days sort debts, bills and benefits out.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Confidence is great! Try not to be over confident. It’s led me to take risks with my sobriety. Going to bars for concerts, hanging out with my old drinking buddies, picking up beer for the girlfriend. High triggering events where I should have said NO. It hasn’t ended well for me.

Stay focused as it’s likely going to get more difficult. And one leads to a hundred. Don’t give it the chance to spiral out of control.

You got this!!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Saturated. Yep, the next few days I am not too worried about. It is when I have a few weeks of sobriety under my belt that I find the most difficult. I seem to be easily convinced by my own cockeyed thinking. That will be when I have to tread carefully.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best thing I did was get my butt off the couch and stop wallowing in my own despair. Getting up and accomplishing things help. Getting outside helps a ton as well. Good old Vit d is a mural le worker for my overall wellbeing and mental health.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Be strong, you can do it. One day at a time. Make sure you rid the house of any alcohol. I gave away several bottles. I knew that would be a temptation in a weak moment.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Lonewolf. Your positivity and determination will serve you well as this new chapter of your life begins. I'm so glad you're here with us. Be proud that you've taken this step - many are never able to face the truth & get free.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You got this!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice and encouragement I definitely, definitely need to do some soul searching. One thing I have learnt from my last bout of drinking is I've got a lot of faults and daft perceptions. Sitting on my own last night , I was confronted with some hard truths about myself. I am looking forward to looking at them once I've got a few weeks sobriety under my belt. But for now, keeping it very simple and not expecting too much from myself. I just ask of myself not to drink and not to get caught up in any of the deliberating about drinking. Just ignore it as if it is a noisy neighbour.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In fact I have the same attitude towards recovery now. Before it was like I had to have an answer to everything. Either agree or disagree. Now I'm like I just don't know. That attitude somehow feels lighter and more genuine.

I also need to realise I will keep falling into old attitudes and when I do, not to be too harsh on myself but hopefully learn to recognise more and more the attitudes that don't serve me or anyone else well.