Notices

Pain is a messenger

Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain is a messenger

What is it telling you?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don't ******* know i wish he stop sending messages. i don't want the, just leave me alone you rock anyways a lawyer sober you rock man
Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey less- my first thought was if you'd seen the article on the bottom right of our screen? The one about headaches and drinking. It's interesting to me as someone who has had headaches since I was a little girl, and certainly remember the cycle of them induced by drinking.

Right now? My recovering back has shifted in pain location to mainly my left hip - so it told me not to go to 8 am yoga. For the past five weeks my plan has been 3x a week, and after one month (so, this week) I was going to add one weekend class. But, I've learned through this extended process (the injury emerged last Mar, ugh) that pain has to be heard....in all its forms

What's it telling you to prompt the question? Just curious. Hope you're well on the whole.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hmmm. Cryptic post. I'll bite.

In October, I fractured my tibia and fibula at the ankle. It was surgically repaired. I couldn't put weight on it for three months. I just started therapy and they tell me I am limited only by the pain.

They've told me that's a good thing.

So the human mind and body can be limited by factors worse than pain. Think about that.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pain tells me there is something that needs attention in my life
Old 01-13-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you’re Johnny Rambo then nothing.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes exactly, sorry for the cryptic post but it was late and I wanted to get that out.

Recently I reactivated an old sports related back injury. Super painful, had me out of the gym for few weeks, though I got back in there soon as I can. Endorphins and hypertrophy are essential to my sobriety (and my sanity).

Anyhow there is a lot of pain associated with disc/nerve injury. I'm not the best patient, easily annoyed and want to heal asap. But rather than run down a self-pity rabbit hole, the pain has caused me to reflect on the pain I endured in my life.

Plenty was a matter of luck. So much of the pain those was self-inflicted. And, towards the end of my drinking days I think in I shared finally to listen to that pain. Physical pain prone over another toilet on another work day morning. Psychic pain as I lied and hid and divided my self.

The pain was getting too much to bear. Its message was Change Your Life. And so I did.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

"Endorphins and hypertrophy are essential to my sobriety"

This is a self imposed ( and AV driven) conditional whose only purpose is to institute or keep open an avenue to 'relapse'. Its removal is self imposed too

Staying physically active and its role in keeping you 'sane' and feeling your best self is a different animal , yeah ? It needn't have anything to do with more booze, defining it as a condition for more booze is really just latent desire preplanning an outlet to indulgence.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know there’s is a trigger hidden in that pain for you.
Stay on guard.
Why not see a chiropractic physio?
That’s what I do every time my back goes in to spasm.
Had disc bulges put right amongst other niggles that cause my back to go.

I am not a wealthy person but I do have the luxury of a very good chiropractic physio being my partner.
She puts me right every time and sends me back off to work
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
"Endorphins and hypertrophy are essential to my sobriety"

This is a self imposed ( and AV driven) conditional whose only purpose is to institute or keep open an avenue to 'relapse'. Its removal is self imposed too

Staying physically active and its role in keeping you 'sane' and feeling your best self is a different animal , yeah ? It needn't have anything to do with more booze, defining it as a condition for more booze is really just latent desire preplanning an outlet to indulgence.

If my back fell off and I couldn't get up ever again booze is the last thing I'd return to. And by last I mean the choice after returning to the dust from whence I came.

The endorphins and hypertrophy certainly did aid me in early sobriety, keeping my mind and eyes on the prize, clearing away pesky demons and strengthening my resolve. I don't depend on them now that I'm in permanent sobriety, but I honor them the same.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
You know there’s is a trigger hidden in that pain for you.
Stay on guard.
Why not see a chiropractic physio?
That’s what I do every time my back goes in to spasm.
Had disc bulges put right amongst other niggles that cause my back to go.

I am not a wealthy person but I do have the luxury of a very good chiropractic physio being my partner.
She puts me right every time and sends me back off to work
Thanks Snowy, appointment Tuesday.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope they can help you out less.

D
Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't parse words in less's comment about "essential" endorphins - I took it nodding in agreement bc my emotional sobriety, which is what I value most as the rest follows, was extremely "pained" by my back injury. Whatever word I'd pick, exercise makes me a much happier sober person - not a condition of sobriety, but the positive impact on my life is definitely a tool I use for supporting it.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had to totally reassess the way I work out. At 54 I can no longer work out like I did when I was 30. I never thought I'd have to say this but my body just doesn't recover like it used to. Very sore, muscles breaking down as opposed to building. At my age I lack the hormones and the ability to absorb protein the way I used to. Soooo that's been a bit tough. I love nothing more than 2 hours of hard cardio...but that was simply not working anymore. Anyway, my point being that working out through pain, more than very infrequently, is a indicator, to me, of addiction. So I've really changed my workout. Its hard right now because I'm adjusting, but necessary.

I used to do a lot of hot yoga August (a lot. Even got my certification to teach). I had lots of back and hip pain. I didn't want to make the connection that the yoga was a big part of that pain. Hot yoga, while awesome, is often overdone. Also the instructors usually stick to a dialogue and not much time is spent really teaching proper posture. Add to that the instructors usually push for people to go 'deeper' into postures....bit of a competition it can be. Everyone looking so fab in their lulumon outfits I started doing other forms of yoga, out of the hot room and taking posture classes. That helped me tremendously. I also learned that more is not necessarily better. We were told to tell people to do hot yoga 'at least' 5 days a week (I often did it twice a day...duh). 3 is usually plenty for most people. This has just my experience. I was addicted to it for sure. Not healthy.