Notices

Day 3, Again...

Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3, Again...

WARNING - Long post... Some of you guys may remember me. I got sober for the umpteenth time late last January for 47 days. Then hearing the ice clinking in the glass as my husband made another drink did me in. He's an alcoholic too. Apparently I hadn't hit rock bottom, yet still. No DUIs, no legal or financial difficulties, no problem. We separated a few months later and I moved 1000 miles away to get sober. What a joke.

Day before yesterday changed all that . My 23-yr old son (who lives with me) texted me six nights ago just looking for someone to talk to, feeling completely lost, didn't want to be part of this world anymore, and I just told him to stop complaining and being ungrateful. I read the texts the next morning and was mortified at my reaction and words in my drunken stupid attitude. He was deeply hurt and wouldn't talk to me the following day but opened up the morning after that and said he would no longer be around me if I drank. Non negotiable. He and I are very close and a wonderful young man and he put it in a way that really hit home. I poured out the vodka right then and there.

To reinforce that choice, the most amazing thing happened. You see, you can't be a heavy drinker on a keto diet or you can very well become severely dehydrated and malnourished (brain food) to stay within caloric limits, even when you're overweight. I learned that the hard way. The same day, I got severely ill and had to be rushed to the hospital. It took 5 hours, IV drips, and many tests to find out that was the problem. I never, ever want to experience that again.

All of that being said, I am writing to share my ongoing struggle to be a countless example that this can and will get worse if you let it. Sobriety is a struggle no doubt, but the next time you give up (at least for me), something more drastic will usually need to happen to get the motivation again. I don't want to be on a merry-go-round or play roulette anymore. I hope you don't anymore either. Good luck to all. Namaste.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three days and welcome back.

I'm sorry you had to have such drastic things happen to be able to try and quit drinking.
I needed reinforcement of events to help me to stop drinking, too.
I needed a wake-up call, as it were. And did I ever get one.
I hope you can quit for the sake of your relationship with your son, and for your own health.

And yes, things can always get worse for the alcoholic. And we don't even have to let it the nature of the disease being chronic, relapsing and progressive takes care of that for us.

Glad to have you back and well. And best to you.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You only fail when you stop trying, I wish you peace, and strength through you journey 🙏
Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very glad you made it back Cali. Thank you for your post it really helped me.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you found the motivation to quit. Will that in itself be enough to keep you sober? Hope you find the "recovery" you need to live and love the sober life.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back CaliButterfly

D