Notices

The alcohol experiment

Old 01-06-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The alcohol experiment

Someone here recently posted a book recommendation. The Naked Mind. I’ve begun reading it and it’s very good!

I also discovered the author’s online The Alcohol Experiment:

https://learn.thisnakedmind.com/the-...t-registration

It’s a 30 day challenge with daily education (reading and videos/talks) on what alcohol does to the mind and body. You can also make journal entries reflecting on your experience and progress each day, and engage with others.

Just wanted to put it out there as an additional support resource. I think it could be especially helpful for those just beginning their journey. I am close to wrapping up my second year sober and also started it because I’m always looking for ways to reinforce my sobriety. So I think there are good reminders here for anyone. I think the author is inspirational as well.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After I relapsed mid last year I read Naked Mind and also did the experiment, both of which I found fantastic and been sober since. The book in itself is a great read, one i would highly recommend as it highlights the neurological workings of the brain along with our subconscious connections to alcohol and how to break them. I have also been reading The Biology of Desire by Marc Lewis which is more scientific but still a great read.

Edit: The Experiment is good in that you get daily emails which include videos which talk about the stages your mind/body will be going through at that time and how to ride the urges.

Last edited by Dean1978; 01-06-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: extra
Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's seems like there are a lot more resources for support and recovery than there was when I stopped drinking. AA was the only game in my small town. There were a couple of other organizations, but they were hundreds of miles away, and impossible to get to on weeknights. I suspect alternative support groups are still more likely to be found around large population centers, but these alternatives are a wonderfully encouraging, and hopefully some of them will grow and become readily available to more people.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

There are literally zillions of ways to get sober and stay sober, and thank God for that! SR was sure the biggest factor for me, no doubt about that.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

12 days since my last drink....I just completed day 8 of the program and I'm really enjoying it!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just purchased, and devoured, The Naked Mind. I’m looking forward to re-reading the book slowly, as the author suggeste, to get more out of it.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

All,

Please hit the Naked Mind highlights, in as much detail that's reasonable for efficiency of understanding.

I am doing ok w my sobriety, but always want more info. Info. has gotten me this far.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

+1 for This Naked Mind. Stripping away the emotional aspect and taking an objective approach was very helpful for me.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rascalwhiteoak View Post
+1 for This Naked Mind. Stripping away the emotional aspect and taking an objective approach was very helpful for me.
Emotions are God awful at grappling with problems or in planning courses of corrective action. They are the symptoms of problems, and demand a distracting attention, quite often to the detriment of solutions. I'm looking forward to reading this book.