Notices

Today is My Sobriety Birthday

Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is My Sobriety Birthday

January 3rd, is etched in my brain as my last drink, and I attended my first AA meeting 3 days after that. The trouble is I've lost track of what year that was or how old I was.

I think today marks 24 years of sobriety. I'm confident enough to place a small bet on that. Nevertheless Jan 3rd is meaningful, and unlike the count, that date is etched in my brain, probably because it never changes, whereas the count changes every year.

But who's counting? Well, apparently me, I guess. But if this means anything to those in new recovery, one year of sobriety was a much bigger deal in my life than 24. Also years 2,3, 4, and 5. Those are heady milestones that can boggle anyone's mind, and they deserve to be relished with pride.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you are here on SR to share your anniversary date with us, as well as all the perspective that you bring to the group.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Never forget, Driguy. Congrats.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats an awesome share DriGuy! I am coming up on 3 (provided I keep doing what I need to do every day!) - and that is my fave number so I think it's a cool milestone.

And I like the fact that someone with as much sobriety as you still "counts" some way - it's hard to see people with so much sobriety drink again, so remembering your start is a great reminder to us early folks.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations DriGuy that's an amazing achievement! Thanks for posting
Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post
Old 01-03-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! I'm very grateful that you come to share on this forum. It really helps us newbies see that people can be successful at quitting, and for good. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Thats an awesome share DriGuy! I am coming up on 3 (provided I keep doing what I need to do every day!) - and that is my fave number so I think it's a cool milestone.

And I like the fact that someone with as much sobriety as you still "counts" some way - it's hard to see people with so much sobriety drink again, so remembering your start is a great reminder to us early folks.
Yeah, I kind of accept that those in the early struggle will slip, and unfortunately, I don't have a lot to say when than happens, because once I committed myself to sobriety, I never had a slip, only a couple close calls early on that were brief temptations, so I have a hard time drawing on any parallels of my own that might help them.

And it is even harder for me to understand why old timers slip. I was disturbed watching that happen to a friend of mine two years ago, and it ended up with him dying of some liver dysfunction.

No matter how many years a person has, or how ingrained or unconscious it is to not take a drink, it's still a choice one makes. With my friend, I often wonder what caused it. He was going through a hard time from a situation entirely of his own making, but why he turned back to the bottle is a mystery to me. It was like throwing gasoline on a fire he started himself, but I guess there are things we have to accept that we will never understand.

On the other hand, I draw strength from people here who seem to have figured this recovery thing out, and I actually draw strength from their success. We are all in this together.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think today marks 24 years of sobriety.

Great line!

I have to think about my sobriety date too. While I don't have anywhere near the amount of sober time that you do, the unit of time I use to measure my sobriety is years.

In the beginning it was hours. I remember many times trying to make it to 100 hours because that meant that my withdrawal symptoms were done.

After awhile the unit of time to measure my sobriety became days, and then weeks, months, and years.

And after awhile you lose count because sobriety has simply become "a way of life."
Old 01-03-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GingerSnow View Post
Congratulations!! I'm very grateful that you come to share on this forum. It really helps us newbies see that people can be successful at quitting, and for good. Thank you.
You're welcome, and for what it's worth, sobriety does get to feel normal after a while, but for some reason that I can't explain, it never seems to get old, and it certainly never gets stale.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I think today marks 24 years of sobriety.

Great line!

I have to think about my sobriety date too. While I don't have anywhere near the amount of sober time that you do, the unit of time I use to measure my sobriety is years.

In the beginning it was hours. I remember many times trying to make it to 100 hours because that meant that my withdrawal symptoms were done.

After awhile the unit of time to measure my sobriety became days, and then weeks, months, and years.

And after awhile you lose count because sobriety has simply become "a way of life."
I know. I know! I remember "days" early on, and on one special occasion around 10 days, more or less, realizing that it was going to be possible to do it for the rest of my life. I was both dumfounded and elated at the same time. Those early markers were things I remember with clarity because they were monumentally important.

I understood immediately why 1 day chips and 6 month chips were so important in AA. I drilled holes in my chips and kept the most current one on my key chain. I did that for 15 years or so until I stopped going to meetings, and that's when I started losing track.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Next year will be a quarter of a century, quite an accomplishment!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an amazing accomplishment!!! Congrats!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dri guy.
Twenty four years is amazing. I have a friend who has twenty six and still goes to meetings and has a sponsor.
But anyway. Best to you and great going.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy sobriety birthday! Very inspiring
Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats and thank you for giving us hope by sharing.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats - you are an inspiration
Old 01-04-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks, inspirational.....
Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Happy Sober Birthday, DriGuy! That is an amazing accomplishment
Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, and for the record, it was a very happy sober birthday.