Notices

Three years of Sobriety!!

Old 01-01-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three years of Sobriety!!

Hello,

Happy New Year to all of my SR family. For those of you just joining today, you've just found an amazingly supportive community, and I look forward to getting to know you.

Three years ago today I was here for yet another day one, but I felt something different, I just knew I had to be done with drinking. There was no tragic event, no big loss, just lots and lots of not being my best each day, and I was tired of feeling that way.

I had been on and off SR for about three years at this point, and I heard Dee's voice in my head saying "What's your plan?" So I spent some time really thinking about that, and I flipped my approach. In the past I was focused on not drinking, this time I focused on recovery, and making healthy choices for myself both physically, and mentally.

SR was my rock those first few days, weeks, months, I read and posted numerous times throughout the day, reading and posting here daily is still part of my plan. I reminded myself that I would never regret waking up sober, and learned mindfulness and breathing techniques to get through triggering moments. I read lots of amazing books written by people who had overcome alcohol addiction, and saw so much of myself in the stories, and thought it was time I start writing my own. I journaled, I found healthy outlets for stress and anxiety, one of the biggest is going for long walks outdoors, there is something about the combination of nature and exercise that is good for both the body and the mind.

The most important thing I did was I did not allow alcohol to be a choice no matter what the situation.

The past three years have been filled with lots of wonderful memories, and I have also tackled some of the most difficult times of my life. The hardest being losing my mom last Wednesday, I felt such incredible sadness, and emptiness, but alcohol was never even a thought. Instead, I let myself feel and grieve. I cried (lots), I went for walks to clear my head, I wrote a eulogy that allowed me to express my feelings in words, and share them with those closest to me. I leaned on family and friends, and I wasn't afraid to ask for help. These are all things I've learned through recovery.

Life is always going to be filled with great joy, and great sadness. That joy is infinitely better sober, and actually allowing yourself to feel that sadness, is what will help you get through it.

I am so grateful to be on this journey with so many amazing people. Bandi, thanks for being my sober twin, I'm so proud of us for reaching this milestone, and I look forward to celebrating many more with you. Dee, Anna, Bobbi, Suze, PJ, Sunny, Kenton, Jeni, Jo, Least, Kris, and everyone on this thread have been such an important part of my recovery.

If today is your first or your 100th day one, take some time and think about the supports you need to be sober. I am a better mom, wife, employee, friend because I am sober, and I'm so grateful for this gift. I promise you sobriety is worth it.

I hope everyone has a very happy, and healthy 2019 filled with lots of love, laughter, and fun-filled sober memories.

❤️Delilah
Old 01-01-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss, Delilah. A very moving post. Filled with hope and promise and tons of grace. Something you show always in your posts. congratulations on your 3 years.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for such an inspirational message. You’ve definitely given me hope.
So sorry to read of your loss.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for the lose of your mother.
Congratulations on three years.
You've got the winning attitude and inspiration so many of us need. Even me with ten years.
Your post reenergized me and picked me up from the doldrums tonight, so thank you.

Best to you in the new year.
And you really are blessed. Me too. And I wish the same for everyone here.
Oh, the joy of sobriety.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you, congratulations!!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 years Delilah and thanks for all the support you offer here.
I'm sorry for your loss.

D
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post and thank you for giving us early in sobriety hope!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you lost your mom. I lost my mom four years ago, and like you, had no thoughts of drinking away my sorrow. Sorrow is meant to be felt and worked thru.

Congrats on your three years sober!! And thank you for your contributions to SR.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 years, Delilah!

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so proud of you, Delilah. Congratulations on your 3 yrs. & thank you for a special post that came from your heart.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mother. This was so graceful to read. And truly things I aspire to be like. Sending you love!
Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations Delilah. I am so happy for you. You never gave up and you made it !!!

****{hugs******
Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'm so sorry for the lose of your mother.
Congratulations on three years.
You've got the winning attitude and inspiration so many of us need. Even me with ten years.
Your post reenergized me and picked me up from the doldrums tonight, so thank you.

Best to you in the new year.
And you really are blessed. Me too. And I wish the same for everyone here.
Oh, the joy of sobriety.
Thanks Ghostlight, we definitely are blessed with our sobriety!
Old 01-01-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 3 years Delilah and thanks for all the support you offer here.
I'm sorry for your loss.

D
I love being able to support others on SR, I have been so fortunate to have the support of so many, especially you!
Old 01-01-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
We're so proud of you, Delilah. Congratulations on your 3 yrs. & thank you for a special post that came from your heart.
How could I have possibly left you out of my list of cheerleaders. Hevyn, thank you for being such a support for me and everyone on SR!!❤️
Old 01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m very sorry for the loss of your mom. This was a really beautiful, powerful post, congratulations on 3 years! I aspire to follow in your footsteps.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations Delilah!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on three years!

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done, Delilah; congratulations.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. Sending you love. Your Mom will always be a part of you; I hope you find comfort in knowing, as I have, that she is only a thought and a memory away. What she gave to you in this life, you will carry with you wherever you go.